Bright Lights
Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£4.99

on 30 November 2010
It's always a bit irritating when an album is repackaged, additional tracks included and the new 'deluxe edition' hits the shops. The flip side of that is that you already know most of the tracks and sometimes the artist/record company have bothered to include worthwhile additional material.

I loved 'Lights' in its original guise - welcoming, melodic folky dance music with just enough production bite to keep things fresh and interesting. 'Starry Eyed' was a genius single but 'This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)' and 'Wish I Stayed' were even better. Standout track was 'Your Biggest Mistake', which employs sampled vocals to devastating effect - emotionally involving and a killer chorus.

But is it worth buying this again for the additional tracks and repackaging? Probably, yes - all seven additional tracks are worthwhile and add something to the album. Unlike Lady Gaga's deluxe 'Monster', which added a separate EP of tracks in many ways superior to the original album, 'Bright Lights' feels like a natural extension of the already existing collection.

There's nothing within these additional tracks to frighten the horses - very much remaining under the folk dance umbrella, there is nonetheless some evidence of a slightly looser sensibility - rougher around the edges, sounding less buffed into a precise shape. Standout of the additional tracks is 'Animal': the shimmering intro collides into a surprisingly bass-driven production. Running it a close second is 'Believe Me', which again places Ellie's lovely vocals against a bassier dance sound.

Current hit 'Your Song' is the final track on the album - it feels a little out of place here but it makes sound commercial sense to include it and does bring the collection to a melodic, stripped down full stop.

The new album photography is beautiful. Instead of abandoning the original 'lights' theme, these photos take it one stage further - full of ethereal warmth and a sense of wonder at the world, they reflect the best parts of this now extended and still excellent debut collection.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 December 2010
Bright Lights (the re-release of Lights) has been the soundtrack to my life this year, I've never come across an album quite like it. Ellie has such a wonderful and natural voice which just keeps getting better! If you're into songs with feeling and a varied pace and tempo then this is the album for you. It can be a chill out album, emotional, or uplifting. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!
on 5 December 2010
I have the original, but felt the need to buy this too. Ellie has one of the most distintive voices in music today and is a fantastic song writer. Usually albums have around three good tracks and the rest just fades into obsurity. Not this one.

This is about as good an album in the genre as you will find. How 'This Love' (will be your downfall) never ended up being released as a stand alone single is beyond me. I think it's the best song I have heard in 2010.

Her cover of 'Your Song' has earnt her even more plaudits and rightfully so. I have also had the delight of seeing Ellie perform live. 'Lights' 'The Writer' 'Starry Eyed' and 'Guns and Horses' all stand out and the latter really set the tone of the album, before you are taken on a real musical rollacoaster of heart felt emotion, musical sounds and voice inflection.

This album is 10/10 and the sound of 2010. I can't wait for her next offering in March 2011
on 29 April 2012
Something about the songs on this album just puts me in a really light, happy mood. There isn't one track I don't like!! Love Ellie's enchanting voice, she doesn't just waffle on, hitting every note possible, her vocal patterns have actual structure. The best way I can describe this cd is fluffy and magical!
on 6 February 2011
I am always annoyed by re-releases, but I love this one! I adored "Lights", and was intrigued by the re-release, having heard "Your Song" on the radio. I was not disappointed to find 7 more delightful, uplifting tracks, some of which have been on repeat constantly on my radio(s) and Walkman. Such a 'happy' album; gorgeous, full of quirkiness and a definite feel good vibe running through it which makes it easy to listen to and a joy overall! Everyone in my family loves this, from my 2 daughters (aged 1 and 4) to my hubby and my own mother.
on 27 March 2011
This album is the best! It makes you feel good and always gets me dancing! One of the best albums i've brought in a while!
Before i brought it, i had never thought anything of ellie goulding, never really heard of her. Then i heard that she had done a cover of 'Your Song' origannly by Elton John and i was confused because i didnt understand why anyone would want to cover such a perfect song. But then I listened to the ellie goulding version and realised that she is a very talented young female artist. All my previous thoughts of her had gone and i found that her unique voice had made the new cover by her, just as good, even better, than the elton john version. Immediately i brought the 'Bright Lights' album (from amazon of course!), downloaded it onto my iPod, then just sat and listened to each song carefully ( i tend to do this with each new album i get) to get a feel of each song and pick out bits that i like. Straight away, i fell in love with ellie goulding's style, voice, music and her in general.
On the album (even though i love all of them), my favourite songs have to be: Animal, The Writer, Everytime you go, Salt Skin, Guns and Horses and This Love (will be your downfall). I know i've probably said it already but they are soooo good! I love them! And i just want to point out that not all of the songs are dance-ey and upbeat. 'The Writer' for example, is slower than the others, but still has a good rhythm so is still fun to listen to.
A really great album, even if you don't normally go for music like this (similar to me - a big paramore and muse fan!), you will enjoy every second of every song, i assure you.
I hope my (way too detailed) reveiw helps you in choosing whether to buy this album or not, well really, it isn't a choice - buy it now!! :D
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I am not particularly into "pop" music, I prefer more rock but having heard Ellie Gouldings voice I quite fancied the album.

I am not disappointed with it at all. A long play list and the songs are catchy and Ellies voice is totally beautiful. This album is my "relaxing" album when I want to chill out.
on 21 January 2011
I loved Starry Eyed but listened to the album on iTunes and although it was only snippets of tracks thought better of buying. A friend recommended it over Christmas and as now it is a great price too I thought why not. Glad I did, excellent album, lovely arrangements and more tracks on this edition. No bad tracks although some you might skip, but a really strong album from a lady with a very distinctive voice. Definitely recommend this.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've been waiting to get Ellie Goulding's album for months, and when I had finally saved up the money to get it, her deluxe edition was released, with new songs such as her cover of 'Your Song'.

This is Ellie's debut album I believe (please correct me if I am wrong), and if it is, this girl has a fantastic career ahead of her. I love her style of music, which 'Biggest Mistake' being my absolute favourite from the album. I have only listened to the album through twice, but it was thoroughly enjoyable. The only song I dislike is 'Salt Skin'.

'Starry Eyed' sets the standard for the album, and I do admit the songs are similar in the melody. If you love Starry Eyed, go and buy this album. If your unsure, listen to the album through on Spotify and then make your decision.
on 17 March 2011
I was introduced to this album by my sister. The last album she had introduced to me was the amazing Lungs by Florence and the Machine, and I expected whatever came next would probably not be quite as good. I was wrong; Bright Lights is truly awesome.

Initially, the length of Bright Lights seemed a bit over the top, but it made sense when I learnt that there had previously been 'Lights' to which several further tracks had been added to make Bright Lights.

The more I listened to the album, the more I came to love it. Furthermore, I found it was not (as so often is the case) just the early tracks in the album I loved, it was almost all of the tracks the whole way through. It really is a great listen from beginning to end.

The style of the music involves a blend of great melodies sung charmingly by Ellie's distinctive, almost cute voice, over a background consisting of a mixture of guitar and electronic sounds. Describing it as these separate components does it no justice; the effect of the music as a whole is overwhelming. I cannot think of anything that I can compare it to directly.

The lyrics are clever and engaging, and the songs are great fun to sing along to. I often am drawn to dark, moody music, but Ellie's music manages to be light but not frivolous; the songs are geniune, sincere, earnest, and emotive without being melancholy. The music is also quite energetic.

The standout tracks are Guns and Horses, Starry Eyed, This Love (Will Be Your Downfall), Under the Sheets, The Writer, Every Time You Go, Wish I Stayed, Your Biggest Mistake, Lights, Little Dreams, and Your Song, which I realise is a majority of the album! I won't describe in detail how each and every one of these songs is brilliant, as that would take too long, but I will make special mention of This Love, which is especially amazing, and really ought to have been a single as well.

So in summary, an absolutely amazing album full of good songs. Ellie Goulding is very talented.