5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a second purchase?
It's always a bit irritating when an album is repackaged, additional tracks included and the new 'deluxe edition' hits the shops. The flip side of that is that you already know most of the tracks and sometimes the artist/record company have bothered to include worthwhile additional material.

I loved 'Lights' in its original guise - welcoming, melodic folky...
Published on 30 Nov 2010 by Truecolours09

3.0 out of 5 stars nice
I am not particularly into "pop" music, I prefer more rock but having heard Ellie Gouldings voice I quite fancied the album.

I am not disappointed with it at all. A long play list and the songs are catchy and Ellies voice is totally beautiful. This album is my "relaxing" album when I want to chill out.
Published on 21 Feb 2011 by Free Spirit

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a second purchase?, 30 Nov 2010
This review is from: Bright Lights (Audio CD)

I loved 'Lights' in its original guise - welcoming, melodic folky dance music with just enough production bite to keep things fresh and interesting. 'Starry Eyed' was a genius single but 'This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)' and 'Wish I Stayed' were even better. Standout track was 'Your Biggest Mistake', which employs sampled vocals to devastating effect - emotionally involving and a killer chorus.

But is it worth buying this again for the additional tracks and repackaging? Probably, yes - all seven additional tracks are worthwhile and add something to the album. Unlike Lady Gaga's deluxe 'Monster', which added a separate EP of tracks in many ways superior to the original album, 'Bright Lights' feels like a natural extension of the already existing collection.

There's nothing within these additional tracks to frighten the horses - very much remaining under the folk dance umbrella, there is nonetheless some evidence of a slightly looser sensibility - rougher around the edges, sounding less buffed into a precise shape. Standout of the additional tracks is 'Animal': the shimmering intro collides into a surprisingly bass-driven production. Running it a close second is 'Believe Me', which again places Ellie's lovely vocals against a bassier dance sound.

Current hit 'Your Song' is the final track on the album - it feels a little out of place here but it makes sound commercial sense to include it and does bring the collection to a melodic, stripped down full stop.

The new album photography is beautiful. Instead of abandoning the original 'lights' theme, these photos take it one stage further - full of ethereal warmth and a sense of wonder at the world, they reflect the best parts of this now extended and still excellent debut collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 5 Dec 2010
This review is from: Bright Lights (Audio CD)
I have the original, but felt the need to buy this too. Ellie has one of the most distintive voices in music today and is a fantastic song writer. Usually albums have around three good tracks and the rest just fades into obsurity. Not this one.

This is about as good an album in the genre as you will find. How 'This Love' (will be your downfall) never ended up being released as a stand alone single is beyond me. I think it's the best song I have heard in 2010.

Her cover of 'Your Song' has earnt her even more plaudits and rightfully so. I have also had the delight of seeing Ellie perform live. 'Lights' 'The Writer' 'Starry Eyed' and 'Guns and Horses' all stand out and the latter really set the tone of the album, before you are taken on a real musical rollacoaster of heart felt emotion, musical sounds and voice inflection.

This album is 10/10 and the sound of 2010. I can't wait for her next offering in March 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Album!, 22 Dec 2010
This review is from: Bright Lights (Audio CD)
Bright Lights (the re-release of Lights) has been the soundtrack to my life this year, I've never come across an album quite like it. Ellie has such a wonderful and natural voice which just keeps getting better! If you're into songs with feeling and a varied pace and tempo then this is the album for you. It can be a chill out album, emotional, or uplifting. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really love this!, 29 April 2012
Kirsty France (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bright Lights (Audio CD)
Something about the songs on this album just puts me in a really light, happy mood. There isn't one track I don't like!! Love Ellie's enchanting voice, she doesn't just waffle on, hitting every note possible, her vocal patterns have actual structure. The best way I can describe this cd is fluffy and magical!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky & gorgeous!, 6 Feb 2011
Ms M (Leicestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bright Lights (Audio CD)
I am always annoyed by re-releases, but I love this one! I adored "Lights", and was intrigued by the re-release, having heard "Your Song" on the radio. I was not disappointed to find 7 more delightful, uplifting tracks, some of which have been on repeat constantly on my radio(s) and Walkman. Such a 'happy' album; gorgeous, full of quirkiness and a definite feel good vibe running through it which makes it easy to listen to and a joy overall! Everyone in my family loves this, from my 2 daughters (aged 1 and 4) to my hubby and my own mother.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better late than never, 21 Jan 2011
This review is from: Bright Lights (Audio CD)
I loved Starry Eyed but listened to the album on iTunes and although it was only snippets of tracks thought better of buying. A friend recommended it over Christmas and as now it is a great price too I thought why not. Glad I did, excellent album, lovely arrangements and more tracks on this edition. No bad tracks although some you might skip, but a really strong album from a lady with a very distinctive voice. Definitely recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Purchase Won't be Your 'Biggest Mistake', 29 Dec 2010
This review is from: Bright Lights (MP3 Download)
I've been waiting to get Ellie Goulding's album for months, and when I had finally saved up the money to get it, her deluxe edition was released, with new songs such as her cover of 'Your Song'.

This is Ellie's debut album I believe (please correct me if I am wrong), and if it is, this girl has a fantastic career ahead of her. I love her style of music, which 'Biggest Mistake' being my absolute favourite from the album. I have only listened to the album through twice, but it was thoroughly enjoyable. The only song I dislike is 'Salt Skin'.

'Starry Eyed' sets the standard for the album, and I do admit the songs are similar in the melody. If you love Starry Eyed, go and buy this album. If your unsure, listen to the album through on Spotify and then make your decision.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album and competitive price, 13 Mar 2012
This review is from: Bright Lights (Audio CD)
The songs here are very well produced and it is definitely worth purchasing this album instead of Lights. Ellie Goulding's voice is not to everyone's taste so it is definitely worth trying before you buy in this particular case. For a pop album, this has a great feel to it when played all the way through but it also functions well in a shuffled playlist. My only complaint would be that the lyrics can be a little clichéd (although if you take this purely as a pop record, this is irrelevant) and that the remixes for some of the songs, which you can find either by purchasing the singles or a quick internet search, are superior to the ones on here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive and Sweet, 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: Bright Lights (Audio CD)
Love this album! Pop music at its best. Worth listening to for the lovely song The Writer alone. It's a grower!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Dec 2011
This review is from: Bright Lights (Audio CD)
Love this album. she has an amazing voice and her songs are also great. loved Starry Eyed so bought the album and i was not dissapointed. Its a definite must!

Bright Lights