on 17 January 2014
I bought this DVD for my daughter knowing it would be different to the Spot I remembered from being a child; I had searched everywhere for the original Paul Nicholas narrated episodes on DVD to no avail. However, unlike many of the programmes that have been updated (eg Fireman Sam, Thomas) the animation remains the same so I thought this would be okay. How wrong I was!! Jane Horrocks has absolutely ruined a lovely children's programme with her incredibly annoying narration and terrible voices. Particularly grating is her performance of "Happy Birthday" in Spot's birthday - several of her awful, toneless voices "singing" at once. So while the stories and animation are still as charming and innocent as ever, I'm afraid this DVD has to go - to the charity shop, or the bin. Why they ever felt the need to replace Paul Nicholas is beyond me.
on 24 February 2012
I chose this DVD above the other Spot DVD's (and spent a lot more owing to that) because it stated that it was the 'complete collection', series 1-3. I was expecting it to contain the original Paul Nicholas narrated versions of Spot. How disappointing to have Jane Horrocks narrate. These versions of Spot are not at all inspiring, and lack the fun and spirit of the originals (not to mention the lovely music inbetween episodes). Thoroughly disappointed. Can't return item, as have opened cellophane packaging, but nowhere on the DVD case does it state who the narrator is. You would think that by stating it is the complete collection series 1-3, it would contain at least some of the originals! May as well take it to the charity shop.....what a waste of money.
33 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2014
My daughter loves Spot and even though the narrator is annoying at times, the stories remain wonderful and adequate for a toddler. I never watched the original series, so I cannot comment on that. I think that the stories are educational and fun at the same time.
on 18 August 2011
Practically every episode of Spot that exists, if you get this and "Spot's Magical Christmas", "Spot and his grandparents go to the Carnival" and "Spot's ABC and 123" then you'll have them all. Spot is toddler magic.
on 3 August 2013
My two year old loves spot. This keeps him happy for a wee while. Thank you. Good if fan of spot
on 2 February 2012
I enjoy the short stories keeping time in front of the television limited. Nice simple stories and marvelous characters. Spot was highly popular with my children. We purchased this for memory sake.
on 4 March 2014
I bought Spot to use it with my French nursery school kids to learn them English. It's a great way to let them hear the English language and to learn them easy structures and some vocabulary.
on 7 March 2013
My 2-year old twins really enjoy this DVD. I should have bought it earlier as they love the books, but I did not know a DVD was available until a friend recommended it.
on 8 August 2015
Great - my daughter loves this DVD.
on 10 June 2013
GREAT PRODUCT, PERFECT FOR MY 1 YEAR LITTLE DAUGHTER AND US. A GOOD OPTION FOR LEARN ENGLISH. A VERY GOOT PRICE.