on 14 September 2012
Make sure that you buy Hunter wellingtons as a fashion item and not as a practical wellington boot. I bought my Hunters for walking the dog in. For a year they were great, comfortable and stylish, but after 14 months they both perished very quickly, both splitting along the crease made when walking and naturally flexing the foot.On contacting Hunter, they said that the boots perished through either ageing or misuse. I know that they were not misused so can only conclude that Hunters are only expected to last a year. Hunter customer service are just not interested.
Be aware - a cheaper high street pair will do the job just as well.
88 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2012
I spent hours researching wellies and then welly sizing so I actually ended up buying these at a local retailer because I was so overloaded with contradicting information. Some people said buy a size up, others didn't but then others said if you wanted to wear welly warmers to size up as well!! aaggghhhhh!

So, I am a size 5 and I wanted to wear welly warmers with my wellies. And a size 5 hunter welly fits perfectly with welly warmers!!

When looking online I was also not sure about adjustable, original or huntress style. I was able to try all of these. I am a size 8 dress size and I don't have huge calfs but the reveiews suggested the original style were really slim, they are. Original style hunters would be perfect with leggings but if you want to tuck jeans in would be a bit snug. On the other side though, the huntress wellies, which are wider, would've been fine for tucking in jeans but with leggings looked abit big. This is why I opted for adjustable, best of both worlds, which I suppose is the point!

I was worried about the length of the wellies, I am 5ft 3 and concerned they would come over my knees almost, but the adjustable hunters are quite comfortable in length.

I also love the aubergine colour, which the photo portrays quite accurately. I have couple them with Snow Leopard hunter welly socks which i have to say looks pretty awesome!

I hope this helps.
33 comments|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2012
These were bought for my wife, her cheapy wellies from last year started leaking and she half jokingly said she wanted a pair of bright pink Hunter's. When she said this, she was on the phone to me, stood in the rain on a rugby pitch with our son, I was sat in a warm office building playing minesweeper. Guilt drove me to the internet to make said purchase. Amazon appeared to be £20 cheaper than anywhere else on the net, so with that, I'm very happy. She loves them, there's no doubt about it although when prompted just now, she made the following observations.

1) "I'm not sure they're worth the money". What every gift giving husband wants to hear.
2) "They don't feel any better than my £7 pair from last year", again, see above.
3) "My feet get just as cold in these as any other welly". Why are women shocked to discover this? Wellies are for waterproofin', not winterwarmin'!

I just pointed out that her last boots leaked after less than a year's usage so maybe that's where the extra cost is coming from. Ah, who am I kidding, you're paying for the brand name like with pretty much anything else slightly fashionable. I paid £65 or whatever it was so that my wife can go to the rugby, jump out of her 4x4 and feel like all the other rugby mums. elitist and pretty.

Hunter socks on the way soon, I guess, to combat the heat retention issues. Apparently they have a label on them so that when you roll them over the top of the boot, people still know that you're "special".
on 29 March 2015
I am a regular dog-walker, and had several pairs of cheap-but-pretty, high-street wellies that all split or perished before I 'invested' in a pair of Hunters, thinking they would last (my Dad has a pair of Hunters that are around 50 years old, and still functional). Had I reviewed these as soon as I received them, I'd have given them 5 stars based on appearance (and I do wonder how many of the 5-star-reviewers would STILL give their boots 5 stars). Unfortunately, less than a couple of years later, I am disappointed that they have perished all over, and are letting in water. They have only lasted slightly longer than the cheaper ones I had previously - certainly not the durable boots I expected based on the price and reputation of Hunters.
I did a little research, and it turns out that Hunter are (literally) not what they used to be. Production was moved from Scotland to China, and the technique used to make them (which built their reliable reputation) has changed, although the name and price label remained the same. If you buy a pair of Hunters made after 2008, they can't be expected to last.
I'm really disappointed that these are no longer the quality product they once were. I personally think that Hunter should be stripped of their Royal standard, since they are no longer made in the same way. They have become an expensive fashion accessory (and if that's the only reason you are buying them, then you won't be disappointed). But if you are looking for practical, durable wellies, then steer well clear of the new Hunters!
review image
on 12 February 2012
The boots arrived on time in excellent condition, they were the correct size, even if you wear thick welly socks with them - great boots i think, 100% waterproof!
on 28 November 2011
Bought these at a great low price on amazon and I'm very happy with them. Great look, comfortable and adjustable version makes them more comfortable to wear than standard Hunters as I find the standard ones too tight on the leg. I am usually a size UK7 but needed a UK6 as they are quite roomy. Would buy again for sure.
on 16 March 2011
I purchased the fuscia adjustable Huunter wellies for my sister as a birthday present. They arrived within 24 hours and were delivered in excellent condition.

I have a pair of the same in aubergine. They are comfortable, well-fitting and so far I have had no rips/splits/holes appear in them. I wear them every day for dog walking and am pleased that they seem to be much more hardwearing than my last pair of rubber wellingtons.

Excellent purchase.
on 7 July 2012
I bought these wellies and they cracked within 4 months, I do wear my wellies every day, this is why I chose Hunters as they get a good name. My last wellies lasted 9 years and they were Hunter Classics! I have kept them until now as dry weather wellies but after 6 months they are in the bin, an expensive pair of wellies!
I am not impressed at all.
on 28 December 2012
The first pair of hunter boots I bought lasted me years therefore I was quite happy to purchase another pair. What a mistake, they lasted exactly ten months and then split in three or four different places. I now know the original boots were made in Scotland and they are now made in CHINA! I will never buy another pair of Hunter wellingtons and I know I am not alone.
on 14 June 2012
FAB FAB FAB!!!!! After many years of struggling to find a welly that fits my calf, and being disgruntled that I couldn't get my leg into a "normal" width welly, I stumbled across these beauties! Great for camping (they're being packed for my trip as I type) these Hunter wellies are a perfect fit. I ordered an 8 & usually am an 8 so the sizing is good & even though I have broad feet they don't pinch. They are also incredibly soft, so they won't dig in to my leg as my last pair did. I'm even hopeing for snow this winter now!
Thank you Hunter wellies for eventually noticing not everyone has skinny legs!!

See one answered question