4.0 out of 5 stars confidence on the ice
agree totally with previous review. had a few problems getting my grippers properly on shoe. came off a few times until I got the hang of making sure toe piece came well over front of footwear but was very pleased that I stuck with it. Have tested grippers on sheet ice and on different gradients and have been sure footed. Am going to buy some for Christmas presents...
Published on 5 Jan. 2010 by Mrs. T. Eadington

3.0 out of 5 stars Great in limited conditions but easily damaged
If the conditions are right these are fantastic spikes but it's important to recognise their limitations.

They work best when there is ice or compacted snow at least a centimetre or so thick. In those conditions they really do stop you slipping and give you the confidence to walk at full speed. If the ice is too thin or is patchy (maybe part of the pavement...
Published on 2 Feb. 2010 by Nobody Famous

‹ Previous | 1 2 348 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Safety on Ice, 17 Jan. 2010
Amazon Customer (Pitlochry, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I live in Central Scotland where we are plagued by ice in winter - especially early in the morning before the roads & pavements have been salted. Get a Grips do a fantastic job of keeping your feet gripping the ground - in fact you find yourself looking for ice rather than soft snow because it offers the best grip for the spikes. Hills, especially downhill, are where they really come into their own and you appreciate the remarkable safety they provide.

Five stars for ice, four for snow.

However they are not easy to put on - you need strong fingers and you can't do it with your boots on. So if you need to walk out along a dry road before you embark on your icy walk you have to wear them and you're worried about the damage the hard surface is doing to the spikes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yippee! I can get out of the house again!!!, 14 Jan. 2010
Excellent product. I had only been out of the house 3 times in almost 4 weeks because of the ice and snow. I fell last year and injured my knee and have been scared of falling so much that I have stayed in. When I did try and venture out I realised I was in serious danger of becoming agoraphobic. These grips have enabled me to go out again with confidence. At the moment here the snow is slushy and very very slippery. The grips work even in this.

5.0 out of 5 stars ice-crampons invaluable for artic winters - have just ordered more as gifts, 19 Oct. 2010
I bought these 2 years ago and now ensure I keep them in my handbag throughout the winter. My walk to work includes a stretch by the River which is NEVER salted. These crampons were INVALUABLE earlier this year during the ice and snow and no doubt will be in the coming months if this winter is, as predicted, even worse.

Forget about Uggs and the like (which slip and slide and get wet), just wear sturdy wool lined boots and your Get a Grips, it makes walking in icy conditions a doddle.

Have just ordered more to give to my parents and other family members.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good in icy conditions, 9 Jan. 2010
These can be tricky to fit onto your boots but become easier with practise. We found them absolutely invaluable in icy conditions when attached to our walking boots but we couldn't recommend that they be used with wellingtons as they kept slipping off. Don't forget that they have tungsten spikes and therefore will ruin flooring so you have to be prepared to remove them before going inside, therefore a little dexterity and ability to stand on one foot is neccessary (unless chairs are available). They are cheaper elsewhere but we still think they were worth the outlay

5.0 out of 5 stars Pat from Manchester, 15 Jan. 2010
Patricia Cooke "Trish" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
Got these shoe grips 2 weeks ago and what a godsend especially with all this ice and snow we've been having, no problems putting them on my shoes infact you cannot see them at all people keep asking me why i'm not slipping and show them my soles of shoes and asking me where i got them from, i would really recommend them they're brillient!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Knotter C, 11 Jan. 2010
Mr. J. Colledge "Knotter C" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I wish I had heard of these years ago. My wife and I take every opportunity to 'spread the word' among our friends. They are excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Get-A-Grip Everyday Traction Aid (Toy)
THESE ARE NOT IDIOT PROOF. But other than your casual moron, who thinks its funny to take a running jump onto a pavement covered in sheet ice, before presenting themselves at the A&E department down the corridor from my office; these are a really good piece of kit which look after you at walking pace when on ice. Spare studs are supplied but I haven't needed them yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars get a grips...2 years on, 20 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Get-A-Grip Everyday Traction Aid (Toy)
As with other reviewers i have found these to be a great asset to me in the recent bad weather. I've had them for two years now and have been generally pleased with them, relatively easy to put on, taking only seconds to whip off, and have been able to put them over several types of shoes and boots, such as some Timberland boot/trainers, sheepskin boots, and some converse all star sneakers, and some leather shoes, as i usually have a size 7, i opted for the L/XL size, which fit all.
As i have had them for two years now, i have started to notice with regular use, the rubber has started to stretch a little-not excessivly so, but they're not quite as tight to put on as they were the day i brought them-which does actually make them easier to put on.
These grips i've found work best on thin compacted snow and ice, anything too thick, esp if it's turned to thick slush not quite so, which is when they're more likely to slip off, esp if there's any suction. And certainly, if you want to preserve the life of the grippers is to avoid walking on snow and ice free ground, and feel a bit awkward to walk on if you do, as they crunch on the bare pavements and click quite loudly on smooth shop floors-so best to remove them-not a problem as they come off very easily and quickly-just make sure you've got a waterproof bag/cover to put them in as they usually come off wet with ice stuck in them.
I would say that generally they are good, making good use of them whenever we've had snow, so i certainly feel that i have'nt wasted my money as they have done what i wanted them to do - in the right conditions, alowing me to walk sure footed and with much more confidence, but they're not perfect, largely on the fact that that as they're not 100% secured to your shoe, so theres always going to be that risk that they could slip off-but i've remedied that issue by making a sort of strap to go across the top of my shoes with a piece of velcro.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slip off all too easily, 15 Dec. 2010
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Get-A-Grip Everyday Traction Aid (Toy)
When they stay on these grips are fine on ice or thin snow. However, there lies the problem: they keep slipping off, and there is no warning this is about to happen. You will constantly be retracing your steps (slips?) trying to find them.

I would guess from the other reviews that there are certain sizes and shapes of shoe that work with these and others that do not. They worked least well for me with wellington boots, because the flexibility of these allowed the grips to loosen. Also, boots were bad because of the height of the toe area. However, I had trouble with shoes too.

I am sorry. they are a good idea but better executed by the more robust competition. I would recommend the Pogu Spikes - Medium Red - mini lightweight ice grips for snow and ice (See other sizes too) or for a more compact and secure solution, search out the Grivel Spider, which puts much larger spikes under your heels and instep.

1.0 out of 5 stars TOTAL LET DOWN -NO GRIP- SHOCKING, 10 Feb. 2010
Be warned, this product will not give you any grip on ice. It only works marginally in deep fresh snow, well actually any footwear will give you grip in fresh snow.

The tiny blue pads offer no traction whatsoever on ice, and so this product does not do what it says.

Furthermore the grips keep falling off, and unless you keep a look out you will suddenly realise they have come off and you have lost them.

There is a design fault in that the toe area only properly fits over pointed toe shoes, there is inadequate room to properly strech over a trainer or a standard mens's casual shoe.

Conclusion - WASTE OF MONEY

There are better products on the market at a better price than this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 348 | Next ›