5.0 out of 5 stars Coconut wireless - a really good read
Funny and engaging - even though Coconut Wireless tackles some dark parts of life including domestic violence and political corruption.
A really good read, I loved it.
Published on 26 Nov 2010 by BeetleMum

2.0 out of 5 stars odd
I was looking forward to reading this, but sadly just couldn't get into it. It seemed to start in the middle of something - what I have no idea and then just went on in the same chaotic disjointed manner. I gave up, maybe it did all come together somewhere along the line, but for me it just didn't work.
Published 12 months ago by Sweet Chestnut

5.0 out of 5 stars Coconut wireless - a really good read, 26 Nov 2010
This review is from: Coconut Wireless: a novel of love, life and South Pacific gossip (Kindle Edition)
A really good read, I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales of the City...South Pacific style, 14 Dec 2010
I don't normally go in for chick-lit - nevermind travel books. But the funky appealing home spun cover somehow got me intrigued enough to click on the 1 Click button. Is that a Kindle cover I spy in the background?

Within 30 seconds it was carried over the wireless - no coconuts involved - onto my Kindle. I still can't get over this dangerously addictive feature of the Kindle. If you are jonesing for a new read and can't wait for the post - there is nothing to beat it.

20 minutes later I was transported to a few tiny specs in the South Pacific - the Solomon Islands.

Nicola's rich attention to dialogue, character, period and place mirrors the love and affection of Armistead Maupin's early Tales in the City books. And it's populated by an equally wide range of strangely wonderful but not always likeable characters too: there's Henderson - the country boy who wants to taste all that big city life in the Solomon Islands can offer; Suzy - the London city girl who's run away to escape a cheating boyfriend; the MP - a local politician who treats his seemingly inexhaustable supply of government jeeps nearly as badly as his wife; Stella - his young spouse looking for a way out and Anna - the local wise woman with a slightly shaky past.

A sly gentle humour infuses the book in a way I haven't experienced since reading the Ladies Detective Agency. It has the potential to do for the Solomon Islands what Alexander McCall's series did for Botswana: make you fall in love with - and get under the skin of - a country, its culture and its people without really knowing it. It's not a rose tinted view though - the author's obvious deep affection for Solomons doesn't stop her characters looking at it with more critical eyes from time to time. And that lends the book a feeling of real authenticity.

Beware though - this is not a book to read while hungry. The descriptions of local cuisine are positively Pavlovian - practically every page will have you looking fondly out at your garden's barbeque (or desperately wishing you had one).

5.0 out of 5 stars Love and Life in the South Pacific, 27 Nov 2010
This is the only novel I've read set in the Solomon Islands. I know Nicola and told her that one part of the story just isn't credible. She laughed and said, "but that bit about the registered letter I nicked from real life - all the rest is imaginary". Coconut Wireless is a real page turner and a great way to find out about life in the sunny South Pacific. Beat the chilly winter blues and transport yourself to life in the South Seas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Winter relief, 27 Nov 2010
An entertaining read that transports you to the tropics. Nicola really understands the culture and society of the Solomon Islands and her writing, as always, is lively and enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, just didn't embrace me!, 10 July 2012
The book was an interesting read and a great insight into life on the Solomon Island, but it just didn't draw me in and embrace me like other books I've read.

I like to become wrapped up in a book, feel part of it, part of the characters and their lives, but I just didn't feel that with this book. I purchased it on 13 Jan 2011 and have only just finished it in July 2012. It's the type of book I would pick up and put down when ever I had 5 minutes, not the one I would end up curled on the sofa with, not putting it down for hours on end.

It's obvious that Nicola Baird has an extensive knowledge of the Solomon Island and has thrown herself and her knowledge into this book.

I would recommend to others, but it just didn't meet my needs in terms of captivation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coconuts!!, 26 Nov 2010
Real people can do fantastic things when the pressure is on! A barnstorming kindle-read. I really appreciate the unexpected and Ms Baird didn't disappoint. The juxtaposition of island life with modernity was touching and as bittersweat as the intriguing cuisine.

2.0 out of 5 stars odd, 18 Sep 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars An eye opener, 25 July 2013
I really enjoyed this book. A refreshing look at a part of the world we most of us know little about.