5.0 out of 5 stars Happy childhood tv memories
Published on 2 Feb 2009 by blackadder

3.0 out of 5 stars Why on earth cut corners on a DVD release such as this?
The DVD is not faithfull to the original series. Great dramatic content here from a bygone age of filmmaking, high adventure and genuinely good writing and acting but the clumsy ditching of the original theme is a disaster which poisons the well. It sums up the mood of the series but has been abandoned with no explanation. The director, cast & crew would disown...
Published on 4 Feb 2006 by George Fox

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy childhood tv memories, 2 Feb 2009
I remember this television series from when I was a very small child. I probably bought the box set on the grounds of nostalgia but I am enjoying it all just as much now and it is nearly fifty years later. It's also good for spotting actors with bit parts who have gone on to bigger things. I am also impressed with the voice of David Whitfield who sings at the start and end of each episode.

A box set to take you back - well worth it, thanks Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Evergreen adventure series, 3 Mar 2006
I bought this because it was one of my favourite TV shows when first broadcast. Nearly 50 years later, I find it stands up very well, and still enjoy it. I always liked the way it was "tougher" than the obvious competition, "Robin Hood" (kids are bloodthirsty!). Watching it now, I find it well-written, with a good variety of plots, and some nice location filming (Snowdonia, I believe). It's also great fun spotting the guest stars (or not spotting - I failed to recognise Michael Caine).
I was puzzled by other comments about the music having been changed. On my DVDs, the "William Tell" theme song ("Come away, come away with William Tell...") is exactly as I remember it, and is the same as the 1959 recording I have of the theme. So are there two different versions of the DVDs - or did the show get broadcast with different themes at different times? (If anybody wants to compare notes, contact me via Ebay, username maryinoxford.)
I don't know how today's children would take to a black-and-white show with no special effects. But I'm very happy with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece from the Golden Days of Television, 19 Sep 2008
Mr. G. L. C. Sexton (Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
What I really like about this Boxed Set is the Quality of the Recording from a series 50 Years on...It feels as if it were made recently although in Black & White. Great Acting from Actors who became Household Names in the Future..For example I spotted " Michael Caine " to name but a few. I would recommend this boxed set to anybody who likes Nostalgia. They just don't make em like this anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vintage TV, 7 Oct 2010
Colin Smith (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Compared to other TV adventure series of the same period, like Robin Hood, this programme has a more grittier feel to it. Conrad Phillips plays the hero of the title here, with the lovely Jennifer Jayne playing his wife. Constantly battling against the Austrian occupation of his Swiss homeland, Tell, ably supported by his wife, frequently clashes with the forces of big bad Lamberger Gessler (Willoughby Goddard) whilst always staying one step ahead of his enemies. 39 episodes make up this series, each episode is around 25 minutes long. Another great release by Network, how would we vintage TV fans manage without you.

4.0 out of 5 stars William Tell Review, 16 April 2008
Peter Bales "Manage 1" (Australia) - See all my reviews
Excellant - for its age - It was even better than I remembered as kid and still full of action - in the same vein as Robin Hood (Richard Greene). The theme song is also how I remember it.

Well worth the purchase price.

Ps Spot how they managed to shoot the bolt through the apple in the opening seqences

5.0 out of 5 stars Great slab of TV nostalgia, 12 July 2009
We used to re-enact this stuff as kids. Good wholesome outdoor fun on warm sunny days. Didn't matter that we weren't in Switzerland, our imagination took us there.

Always thought William Tell had a more dangerous edge to it than say, Robin Hood. High mountain villages, narrow alpine passes, highly strung crossbows - you get the drift.

Watching the series again 50 years later I'm amazed how well the story lines gel. And of course Jennifer Jayne looks just as dishy as she did to a pre-pubescent boy all those years ago.

Shame only 39 episodes were produced. Highly recommended viewing for those with an adventurous streak.

5.0 out of 5 stars William Tell DVD, 6 Jun 2010
Excellent item, arrived quickly and brand new still in its wrapping. Old 50, TV series which I used to enjoy ( and still do ) . The music brought back many memories as well as the series itself , similar to the Robin Hood tv series of the 50's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for children AND adults!, 28 Oct 2012
Andarius (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: William Tell - The Complete Series [DVD] [1958] (DVD)
Saw it when we got Southern TV in England at age 9 and loved it!

I really fancied William (Conrad Phillips) Tell's crossbow, the lovely blonde Hedda Tell (Jennifer Jayne) and tights, lol - I grew out of wanting tights!

Effectively 25min movies very well-produced, written and acted with lots of energy and humour.

When the English 'Network' boxset (all 39 eps) became cheaper than the American version (30 eps), my dithering was over and I went for it!

So should you. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars a classic early tv series, 28 Mar 2009
C. Hallows (london) - See all my reviews
William Tell is a superb series, full of action, Conrad Phillips plays a reluctant freedom fighter, a good old retro goodie fighting the baddies. switzerland's answer to Robin Hood and its fantastic value as you get 39 episodes in the box set

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY SUPERB AND WITH ORIGINAL THEME TUNE, 28 Feb 2006
I very near didn't buy this William Tell set because 2 more reviews about this set said it didn't have the original theme tune in and the new one sounded something like the Lone Ranger.
I watched this series in the late 50s and early 60s and the original theme tune was catually the same tune as the Lone Ranger. The song was composed by Italian born composer Gioachino Rossini (1792-1868)and he wrote the William Tell symphony which premiered in 1829 in Paris. The Willian Tell tune had lyrics where as the lone Ranger was instrumental but both part of the same song. Could it be the series had a different tune in other countries and thats what the two reviewers mean?
Its the same song i've always known anyway and along with the song and the nostalgic memories this set is absolutely brilliant. I still get goose bumps when i see William Tell shoot that apple of his son's head and Jennifer Jones is still a beautiful woman in my head. Last but not least....
Come away come away with William Tell, come away come away when the apple fell, come away come away with William Tell, Tellll of Switzerland. boy i needed that :0)- buy it!! you will not be dissapointed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

William Tell - The Complete Series [DVD] [1958]
William Tell - The Complete Series [DVD] [1958] by Conrad Phillips (DVD - 2010)