5.0 out of 5 stars One of those 'must have' kitchen gadgets
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:37 Mins
This is one of those kitchen gadgets that once you have for a while you wonder how you ever managed without. I use this mat for a number of different things.

Published on 13 Nov. 2011 by D. Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely useless
All my cooking pans and casseroles are cast-iron Creuset's and I am perfectly satisfied with them.

When I saw these "cool tools" I naturally assumed that they would be a perfect complement for the pans; after all, the pans irradiate a substantial amount of heat.

So, I ordered half-a-dozen of them, in the colours best suited for my pans.

To...
Published 14 months ago by FG

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those 'must have' kitchen gadgets, 13 Nov. 2011
D. Jones (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 3:37 Mins

I have a lovely wooden chopping board and I don't like putting hot pans straight onto it as this can cause unsightly scorch marks that are impossible to remove. I don't have the room in my kitchen to leave metal trivets permanently out for hot pans or to store them when not in use so this thin, flexible, silicon mat does the job and takes up almost no space in a drawer.

Because I don't have very strong wrists I struggle to open a lot of jars and bottles. I've found that using this mat means I can open them with very little strength.

I've also got a plastic board that I use for cutting meat. Unfortunately over time this board has warped a little bit and it slides around if put straight onto my kitchen surface. However, putting the silicone mat underneath the board keeps it firmly in place. It works just as well for stopping bowls from sliding around if you are mixing or whisking in them.

The mat is easy to keep clean either in the dishwasher or using hot soapy water and it comes out looking as good as new.

Size wise it is about 2/3 of the size of a dinner plate. It easily protects my work surface from every size pan from small egg pans up to my huge stock pot.

I've been really pleased that I bought one of these and I have certainly had a lot of use out of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars cheap and handy, 3 Dec. 2012
this actually looks pretty good and works really well as a warm pot stand in my small kitchen. it covers about the ares of the biggest pot base in a standard three pot size range but it is quite thich so it can easily support a slightly wider pot within reason.
i havent opened jars with it yet but it is very flexible so i can see how they would help to do that. you can also grab hot trays or dished out of the oven but i have to admit i still prefer using a doubled up cloth for that job because although the thing is flexible you dont get the same 'feel' for a good grip on something like you do with a cloth or oven glove.
they are flexible like i said but in no way flimsy. they are made very well and will last an age i have no doubt.
not a kitchen essential but a handy addition none the less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just amazing!, 14 April 2008
Doug "Doug" (York, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
From time to time you come accross a product that is well designed, very affordable and does 10 times more than it says on the tin.

The multimat is easy to use, and easy to clean.

I bought it to place hot pans on, but now fand myself using it all of the time.

As has already been said it is excellent under chopping boards, but it is even better under pyrex to stop it slipping hen quickly whisking eggs etc.

It is such a simple product, with so many uses.

Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Le Creuset Multimat, 9 Jan. 2010
Having been a little disillusioned with silicone products for the kitchen/table, I was ready for this yet again to be a disappointing purchase. However, these are fantastic and really work. Stick this on your hand followed by a pan straight from an open flame and you feel no heat. Miraculous! Also doubles as a grip for opening jar lids or can be used instead of an oven glove. Our collection is growing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative!, 15 Oct. 2008
COLOUR : VOLCANIC

The Le Creuset 'Multimat' is a truly versatile item, making it one of the better multi-tasking kitchen tools available.

It is a ridged circular silicone mat, of approx 8"/20.5 cm diameter, which is dishwasher safe.

As per the use/care labels attached:

d) *Surface protector

* 'Protects most surfaces against heat transfer. When used as a surface protector, it will not provide total heat insulation and should be used in conjunction with other protection on vulnerable surfaces such as natural, polished or lacquered wood, plastic table coverings or cork backed table mats.'

It even has a hole for hanging it up, or just pop it in a drawer - it takes up very little space!

I find it particularly useful for stabilising a bowl when whisking, keeping the carving dish steady when slicing the Sunday joint and unscrewing that stubborn new M & S strawberry jam jar lid!

Also available in an equally useful 2 x MINIMAT version.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely useless, 14 May 2014

So, I ordered half-a-dozen of them, in the colours best suited for my pans.

To my complete (and unpleasant) surprise, they are utterly useless as "cool tools", since they do not protect surfaces from the heat irradiating from the pans.

The situation became more annoying when I found that Creuset acknowledges their uselessness: in the proverbial "small print", at the bottom of the page of this product, they add this warning: "Extra protection e.g. a cork mat, should be used under the Cool Tool on delicate surfaces".

Why should anyone buy a "cool tool" that needs another "cool tool" because in fact, it does not cool anything at all?

Why does Creuset lend its name to this sort of misleading and ineffective product, risking damaging its own reputation as a manufacturer of top-quality cooking pans?

These products are not launched into the market without development, testing and a favourable decision by the company board: are Creuset's managers so devoid of the most elementary common sense that they do not see that a "cool tool that does not cool" is, well, uncool for their brand?

To return the damn things is not worth the trouble; I prefer to leave this product review as a warning to other, potential customers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative!, 7 Oct. 2008
The Le Creuset Multimat is a truly versatile item, making it one of the better multi-tasking kitchen tools available.

As per the use/care labels attached:-

d) *Surface protector

Simple in WHITE, but this SUPER mat also comes in a variety of colours....to mix or match...with any kitchen colour scheme.

I find it particularly useful for stabilising a bowl when whisking, keeping the carving dish steady when slicing the Sunday roast and helping to unscrew that stubborn new M & S strawberry jam jar lid!

5.0 out of 5 stars Le Creuset Silicone Multimat, 4 April 2009
Dr. G. Walker (Blackpool, Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
An excellent purchase. The multimats come in a variety of colours to match your kitchen work surfaces. We chose red - a highly visible colour when you are dealing with hot pans and trays. The multimats have replaced our cork mats - one big advantage of the multimat is that the mats can be easily washed in the washing-up bowl, or even in the dishwasher.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'COOL TOOL' - the new name for Le Creuset's 'MULTI-MAT', 18 Mar. 2011
COLOUR : WHITE
MATERIAL : SILICONE

This is a ridged circular silicone mat approximately 20.5 cm in diameter which has a variety of uses as per the use & care label attached:

c) Jar gripper
d) *Surface protector ~ * ~ 'Protects most surfaces against heat transfer. When used as a surface protector, it will not provide total heat insulation and should be used in conjunction with other protection on vulnerable surfaces such as natural, polished or lacquered wood, plastic table coverings or cork backed table mats.'

This useful item is currently also available in a rainbow of colours, to fit in with any kitchen colour scheme. It even has a hole to let it hang around, if required!

I find it particularly useful for stabilising a bowl when whisking, keeping the carving dish steady when slicing the Sunday joint and helping to unscrew that stubborn new strawberry jam jar lid!

Complete with use & care instructions.
Wipe clean.
Dishwasher safe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very handy, 1 Jun. 2012
I use these all the time, I won't repeat their many uses as other reviewers have done a good job of that.

To take something out of the oven/grill quickly, I find it much quicker and safer to pick up a pair of these than to fumble your hands into an oven-glove arrangement. They are big enough & flexible enough to give good protection without fiddling them into place.
They block the heat well, and don't slip.

To keep them easy to pick up in a toast-related emergency, I stand them on their side "bookended" by saltpot and wall.

I like the look of them too. For all their functionality they make me smile - think Liquorice All-Sorts! Yet they look classic and unobtrusive at the dinner table. (I have the black and the cerise).

If they were more well-known I think they'd considered be a design classic. And since I think they'll last a lifetime I'm guessing they're well worth the money.

Le Creuset Silicone Cool Tool, 20.5 cm - Teal