Colour: Black|Change

This is one of those kitchen gadgets that once you have for a while you wonder how you ever managed without. I use this mat for a number of different things.

I have a lovely wooden chopping board and I don't like putting hot pans straight onto it as this can cause unsightly scorch marks that are impossible to remove. I don't have the room in my kitchen to leave metal trivets permanently out for hot pans or to store them when not in use so this thin, flexible, silicon mat does the job and takes up almost no space in a drawer.

Because I don't have very strong wrists I struggle to open a lot of jars and bottles. I've found that using this mat means I can open them with very little strength.

I've also got a plastic board that I use for cutting meat. Unfortunately over time this board has warped a little bit and it slides around if put straight onto my kitchen surface. However, putting the silicone mat underneath the board keeps it firmly in place. It works just as well for stopping bowls from sliding around if you are mixing or whisking in them.

The mat is easy to keep clean either in the dishwasher or using hot soapy water and it comes out looking as good as new.

Size wise it is about 2/3 of the size of a dinner plate. It easily protects my work surface from every size pan from small egg pans up to my huge stock pot.

I've been really pleased that I bought one of these and I have certainly had a lot of use out of it.
From time to time you come accross a product that is well designed, very affordable and does 10 times more than it says on the tin.

The multimat is easy to use, and easy to clean.

I bought it to place hot pans on, but now fand myself using it all of the time.

As has already been said it is excellent under chopping boards, but it is even better under pyrex to stop it slipping hen quickly whisking eggs etc.

It is such a simple product, with so many uses.

Recommended!
on 9 January 2010
Having been a little disillusioned with silicone products for the kitchen/table, I was ready for this yet again to be a disappointing purchase. However, these are fantastic and really work. Stick this on your hand followed by a pan straight from an open flame and you feel no heat. Miraculous! Also doubles as a grip for opening jar lids or can be used instead of an oven glove. Our collection is growing.
on 14 May 2014
All my cooking pans and casseroles are cast-iron Creuset's and I am perfectly satisfied with them.

When I saw these "cool tools" I naturally assumed that they would be a perfect complement for the pans; after all, the pans irradiate a substantial amount of heat.

So, I ordered half-a-dozen of them, in the colours best suited for my pans.

To my complete (and unpleasant) surprise, they are utterly useless as "cool tools", since they do not protect surfaces from the heat irradiating from the pans.

The situation became more annoying when I found that Creuset acknowledges their uselessness: in the proverbial "small print", at the bottom of the page of this product, they add this warning: "Extra protection e.g. a cork mat, should be used under the Cool Tool on delicate surfaces".

Why should anyone buy a "cool tool" that needs another "cool tool" because in fact, it does not cool anything at all?

Why does Creuset lend its name to this sort of misleading and ineffective product, risking damaging its own reputation as a manufacturer of top-quality cooking pans?

These products are not launched into the market without development, testing and a favourable decision by the company board: are Creuset's managers so devoid of the most elementary common sense that they do not see that a "cool tool that does not cool" is, well, uncool for their brand?

To return the damn things is not worth the trouble; I prefer to leave this product review as a warning to other, potential customers.
on 25 February 2012
I really like this little kitchen tool. It seemed a bit overpriced, but I've used it quite a lot and it has held up beautifully. I also use it under my computer to keep it slipping off the stool that I set it on in the living room from time to time. I have used it to open jars, and to protect me and my counters from hot dishes. Thinking about getting a second one!
on 4 April 2009
An excellent purchase. The multimats come in a variety of colours to match your kitchen work surfaces. We chose red - a highly visible colour when you are dealing with hot pans and trays. The multimats have replaced our cork mats - one big advantage of the multimat is that the mats can be easily washed in the washing-up bowl, or even in the dishwasher.
on 27 October 2014
Amused, as I spefically bought two of these as the description read:
•Ideal for use as a potholder, trivet or for opening jars or containers
•Heat resistant to 250 degrees Celsius

And yet when I received it, the description on the tag clearly states:
When used as a surface protector it will not provide total heat insulation and should be used with caution on vulnerable surfaces such as a natural wood, polished or lacquered wood, plastic table coverings or cork backed tablemats.

In my ignorance I bought these solely as a cautionary method to protect my wood table and countertops from being damaged by hot pots.
on 12 December 2012
I was looking for a heatproof mat on which to place hot pans on. When I read the reviews, I was surprised how many said they could be used as pan holders too, and they wouldn't be without them. I ordered 2 and think they are great.
on 19 May 2011
I bought this to stand hot pans on without realizing how very versatile it is. It is great for standing a mixing bowl/saucepan on to stop it sliding around. You can use it as a kind of oven glove for holding hot handles etc or even to get a grip on a stubborn jar lid.
I use mine every day and may get another.
on 10 February 2011
COLOUR : BLACK

Previously known as Le Creuset's MULTIMAT, this is a truly versatile item, making it one of the better multi-tasking kitchen tools available.

It is a ridged circular silicone mat of approximately 20.5 cm diameter.

As per the use/care labels attached:

a) Non-slip mat
b) Pot holder
c) Jar gripper
d) *Surface protector

* 'Protects most surfaces against heat transfer. When used as a surface protector, it will not provide total heat insulation and should be used in conjunction with other protection on vulnerable surfaces such as natural, polished or lacquered wood, plastic table coverings or cork backed table mats.'

This useful item is also currently available in a rainbow of colours along with simply WHITE, to fit in with any kitchen colour scheme.

This handy 'COOL TOOL' even has a hole to let it hang around if required.

I find it particularly useful for stabilising a bowl when whisking, keeping the carving dish steady when slicing the Sunday joint and helping to unscrew that new jam jar lid!

Complete with use & care instructions.
Wipe clean.