Colour: Black|Change

This is one of those kitchen gadgets that once you have for a while you wonder how you ever managed without. I use this mat for a number of different things.

I have a lovely wooden chopping board and I don't like putting hot pans straight onto it as this can cause unsightly scorch marks that are impossible to remove. I don't have the room in my kitchen to leave metal trivets permanently out for hot pans or to store them when not in use so this thin, flexible, silicon mat does the job and takes up almost no space in a drawer.

Because I don't have very strong wrists I struggle to open a lot of jars and bottles. I've found that using this mat means I can open them with very little strength.

I've also got a plastic board that I use for cutting meat. Unfortunately over time this board has warped a little bit and it slides around if put straight onto my kitchen surface. However, putting the silicone mat underneath the board keeps it firmly in place. It works just as well for stopping bowls from sliding around if you are mixing or whisking in them.

The mat is easy to keep clean either in the dishwasher or using hot soapy water and it comes out looking as good as new.

Size wise it is about 2/3 of the size of a dinner plate. It easily protects my work surface from every size pan from small egg pans up to my huge stock pot.

I've been really pleased that I bought one of these and I have certainly had a lot of use out of it.
on 15 October 2008
COLOUR : VOLCANIC

The Le Creuset 'Multimat' is a truly versatile item, making it one of the better multi-tasking kitchen tools available.

It is a ridged circular silicone mat, of approx 8"/20.5 cm diameter, which is dishwasher safe.

As per the use/care labels attached:

d) *Surface protector

* 'Protects most surfaces against heat transfer. When used as a surface protector, it will not provide total heat insulation and should be used in conjunction with other protection on vulnerable surfaces such as natural, polished or lacquered wood, plastic table coverings or cork backed table mats.'

It even has a hole for hanging it up, or just pop it in a drawer - it takes up very little space!

I find it particularly useful for stabilising a bowl when whisking, keeping the carving dish steady when slicing the Sunday joint and unscrewing that stubborn new M & S strawberry jam jar lid!

Also available in an equally useful 2 x MINIMAT version.
on 9 January 2010
Having been a little disillusioned with silicone products for the kitchen/table, I was ready for this yet again to be a disappointing purchase. However, these are fantastic and really work. Stick this on your hand followed by a pan straight from an open flame and you feel no heat. Miraculous! Also doubles as a grip for opening jar lids or can be used instead of an oven glove. Our collection is growing.
on 7 October 2008
The Le Creuset Multimat is a truly versatile item, making it one of the better multi-tasking kitchen tools available.

As per the use/care labels attached:-

d) *Surface protector

Simple in WHITE, but this SUPER mat also comes in a variety of colours....to mix or match...with any kitchen colour scheme.

I find it particularly useful for stabilising a bowl when whisking, keeping the carving dish steady when slicing the Sunday roast and helping to unscrew that stubborn new M & S strawberry jam jar lid!
on 30 October 2010
Simple ideas always seem to be the best and these little mats don't disappoint. I bought two and they're wonderfully unobtrusive on the black granite worktop. I haven't as yet used them for pan handles or getting jar lids off, but I may well do! I suspect I'll be buying one or two for my son & daughter-in-law's joint stocking at Christmas! (They actually LIKE getting useful household items along with the more personal ones!!)
From time to time you come accross a product that is well designed, very affordable and does 10 times more than it says on the tin.

The multimat is easy to use, and easy to clean.

I bought it to place hot pans on, but now fand myself using it all of the time.

As has already been said it is excellent under chopping boards, but it is even better under pyrex to stop it slipping hen quickly whisking eggs etc.

It is such a simple product, with so many uses.

Recommended!
on 14 August 2011
Brilliant multi-use kitchen accessory. Heat proof, dishwasher-able, flexible and look good, wish I could afford some of the co-ordinated cookware!
on 4 April 2009
An excellent purchase. The multimats come in a variety of colours to match your kitchen work surfaces. We chose red - a highly visible colour when you are dealing with hot pans and trays. The multimats have replaced our cork mats - one big advantage of the multimat is that the mats can be easily washed in the washing-up bowl, or even in the dishwasher.
on 18 March 2011
COLOUR : WHITE
MATERIAL : SILICONE

This is a ridged circular silicone mat approximately 20.5 cm in diameter which has a variety of uses as per the use & care label attached:

c) Jar gripper
d) *Surface protector ~ * ~ 'Protects most surfaces against heat transfer. When used as a surface protector, it will not provide total heat insulation and should be used in conjunction with other protection on vulnerable surfaces such as natural, polished or lacquered wood, plastic table coverings or cork backed table mats.'

This useful item is currently also available in a rainbow of colours, to fit in with any kitchen colour scheme. It even has a hole to let it hang around, if required!

I find it particularly useful for stabilising a bowl when whisking, keeping the carving dish steady when slicing the Sunday joint and helping to unscrew that stubborn new strawberry jam jar lid!

Complete with use & care instructions.
Wipe clean.
Dishwasher safe.
on 10 August 2010
I actually bought this mat for hair tools, but it's great! It protects surfaces, doesn't scratch or get scratched, it's not sticky or powdery as some silicone mats can be and the mat itself doesn't seem to absorb any heat. Highly reccomend this item.