Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 January 2011
I'm moved to write this because of the utter churlishness of the BBC critic's comments here.

The history of buskers from Scotland ending up as major recording artists (e.g. Annie Lennox, KT Tunstall) is not insignificant, and this young woman has similar potential, if people give her a chance. This is no X-Factor empty vessel but a woman with talent.

One wonders if the show she was on had been a BBC programme, they'd have been quite so mean-spirited?

Not all songs have to be Radiohead or The Smiths, happy songs are OK too, surely?! And the idea that if there's one person out there singing in particular style there's no need for anyone else to do so, is asanine.

Sweet, melodic, and I think some genuinely touching music here, and good for a debut. Worthy of superstardom? Not yet maybe, but this should be one TV talent show contestant who could really achieve something- this kind of music has a very large fanbase regardless of how un-hip it might be, and a very long shelf-life. Somewhere between Lenka and Allie Moss, and for those of us who like this kind of stuff, she's most welcome.
on 30 January 2011
Brilliant. Watched whole series of MBTM, great shame that it will not be returning to our screens this year, more deserved of airtime than the greedy money machine that is X Factor. So much real talent on one show but Emma's Imagination was the winner for me right from the start.

Absolutely love the CD. I requested it for my birthday, 5th January, had to wait until it's release on the 10th, definitely worth the wait. Shame we had to wait 10 years for Emma to be discovered.

Although I love the CD it would be nice to have have an acoustic version too, I love the simplicity of just Emma and her guitar.

Please buy this CD, for your own sakes, you'll be denying yourselves a very big treat if you don't.
on 12 January 2011
Most people got to know Emma through the Sky 1 talent show that she took part in. However, my first taste was when a friend linked me to the song 'This day' I instantly fell in love with the soft vocals and catchy tune. I literally couldn't wait to hear more.

I will admit, on first listen of this album I too wondered if it was a bit too twee and floaty. However, listening to it a second time I've fallen in love with her voice and the the songs on the album, the lyrics are beautiful and all songs are put together beautifully.

I would recommend this to anyone. Im a fan of artists like Ellie Goulding, Maria Mena, Maria Taylor...this is definatley my type of music.
on 17 April 2014
Emma has a sweet voice and, unusually for a talent show winner, she writes her own material, but this collection of songs is pure supermarket pap. The subject matter of the songs ranges from the twee to the banal, but she has an infectious voice and a girlish charm that makes you want to stick with it to the end.

Three years later, and her career has sunk without trace. This tells us nothing about her talent, which is plentiful and immediately obvious, but does suggest something vile about the talent show business, which finds and promotes these artists, and then ditches them when they fail to produce hit after hit. Emma was simply not chart material - pushing her in that direction wasted a tremendous opportunity to develop an act that could have offered something genuinely new. Barlow closed-down his record label in 2012, and presumably Emma is back busking on the streets.

As for this album, it's a comfortable and uncomplicated listen. it doesn't hold up to repeated listening though, and quickly becomes soporific. The album really needs stronger material. That that album is (at time of writing in 2014) available for 1 penny plus delivery, kind of says it all.
on 10 January 2011
Emma Gillespie shot to fame in Sky1's Must be the Music programme last Autumn. This show was a bit different from others as the artists performed their own material and got the proceeds from their download sales. Having won, Emma was signed to a record deal and this is her debut album and what an album it is!

From the hit song 'This day is mine' which is one of the best songs I have heard in years, the album showcases Emma's fantastic talent - great voice, superb songwriting (her own!) and glorious guitar. 'Focus' is another she performed on the show but the songs that are almost certain to be new to most are just as good. It's one of those albums you'll listen all the way through.

It's amazing to think that just a few months ago she was busking on the streets of Glasgow. She came across so well on Must be the Music and appears to be incredibly grounded. A talent like this deserves to be heard and deserves to be successful. This is certain to be one of the albums of the year. Best of luck to you Emma!
on 11 January 2011
After watching the must be the music show from the first time i saw Emma perform i loved her sound.
for me i could not wait for this album to be released and for me the reality matched my expectations of Emma's debut.
my only negative is the slight loss of the raw performance Emma gave so fantastically on the show, but then it is a studio album so its to be expected but i imagine a "unplugged" album in 10 years will be fantastic
i see things only getting better for Emma's next album release, meanwhile i will be listening in the car and singing along happily to stand still for many miles
on 7 March 2011
I bought this album accidentally and listened to it with out much initial enthusiasm, but that quickly changed, she has a fantastic voice and the original songs that are on the album are really good and have a thoughtful quality to them.
I love her cover of Bic Rungas Drive so very like the original, but suits this lady's voice so much better.
All in all i think this will be on my play list for some time
on 19 January 2011
Definately a very gifted singer songwriter , the studio album is very polished but still unique and beautiful , Emma has a very distinctive gorgeous voice reminds me of Lena Marlin the norwegian singer songwriter when she first started out , I thought Emma's style might be to follow in the footsteps of Amy Macdonald or K.T. Tunstall ,its more Katie Melua , Emma's live performance on t.v was nothing short of mesmerising , she has great stage presence , i agree with one reviewer an unplugged album would work Emma is a natural peforming working musician blessed with charisma , this album showcases her vocal songwritng talent most tracks are memorable and catchy , i think Emma has a long career ahead of her , look forward to hearing more of her music .. favourite track Drive and This day ..
on 16 January 2011
Emmas Imagination is exactly that. I'ts a lovely debut album. Nice songs , nice girl. Miss Gillespie, the winner of 2010's; 'It Must be the Music', stole our hearts and subsequently stole away with the well-deserved £100,000 recording deal.
The album represents the very down to earth girl who was unapologetically overwhelmed to sing her hit single, 'This Day' when she won the coveted prize.
There are no earth-shattering tunes or grinding danceable beats, i'ts an album to 'listen' to ; closely.
From the very memorable 'This Day' to the onomatopoeia of 'Drive', the light-hearted 'Fairie Lights' to the romantic, 'Falling Slowly'; a wonderful thought provoking platform to which I'm certain Emma will launch her prolific imagination and song-writing skills in future albums.
on 6 March 2011
What can I say...I love it!
Fantastic album, easy listening, great to unwind to...drive to...cook to...housework to..............mmmmm.
You'll be humming & singing along yourself in no time!
Can't wait for her next album!