Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 March 2012
This track listing was available on HMV, as you can see it has all the hits you want to hear
disc 1
1. He's The Greatest Dancer
2. Mama Never Told Me
3. Thinking Of You
4. As
5. Love Don't You Go Through No Changes On Me
6. Circle Of Love (Caught In The Middle)
7. Don't You Miss Him Now
8. Got To Love Somebody
9. All American Girls
10. You Fooled Around
11. Easy Street
12. All The Man I Need - David Simmons
13. Easier To Love
14. He's Just A Runaway
15. BYOB (Bring Your Own Baby)
16. Let's Go On Vacation
17. One More Time
18. He's The Greatest Dancer
disc 2
1. We Are Family
2. Lost In Music
3. I Was Made To Love Her (Him)
4. Frankie
17. Lost In Music
18. We Are Family
on 22 August 2012
This review is for: We Are Family: The Essential Sister Sledge
I already had the "We Are Family" album on CD and various compilations mostly devoted to their Chic produced anthems. So I wasn't sure if this would be worth buying or not, considering the tracks date back as far as 1973 and I suspected they might sound too dated for my taste. But I decided to give it a chance and I'm glad I did. I played both discs through from start to finish and thoroughly enjoyed it all, discovering some wonderful tracks that were new to me along the way (particularly "Il Macquillage Lady"). When it ended I wished it could continue. This double CD is a very comprehensive collection of Sister Sledge's singles and key album tracks. Most of the tracks are included in their short single versions, so this enables the compilers to include 36 tracks and of those there was only one I didn't like (Super Bad Sisters). There is one slight error on the cover where it lists "Frankie (radio edit)" but it is actually the album version which is identical to the single version but continues repeating the chorus about 20 seconds longer (so that's not a bad thing). The price at the time of writing this review is £4.99 which makes this incredible value. So if you want to see what Sister Sledge have to offer beyond those Disco classics "We Are Family", "He's The Greatest Dancer", "Lost In Music" and "Thinking Of You" (all included here), then this is a collection I can thoroughly recommend, along with the We Are Family album if you want the full Disco experience and 8 minutes 20 seconds of the original "We Are Family". Much of Sister Sledge's music was produced by Chic, so if you like this you should also investigate: Magnifique: Very Best of Chic which is the perfect companion.
on 29 April 2011
Similar to the Definitive Groove Collection released in 2006. In fact the Essential and Definitive both bear the Rhino trademark which suggests they have both been released by the same people. The difference this collection has 36 tracks compared to the 30 on the Definitive. They have basically added a couple of 1984 remixes and added more tracks from the other Sister Sledge albums abeit dropping one or two. The booklet is just a fold over type. I own both CD`s this one if your thinking of having a collection of Sister Sledge music is very good value.
on 14 January 2014
So glad I got this ,as apart from the well known hits from the 70/80s which take me back to my school disco days ,it also has loads of other good danceable tracks .It has not dated and is still great for strutting your stuff too and has messages about the need for more love and unity in this col ,harsh world of ours .
on 3 February 2013
I think this is a brilliant cd as it brings back a lot of good memories! If you are of a certain age you will know what I mean! Absolute nostalgia and a must for any real music fans out there! Enjoy!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2016
Great album, good songs and most importantly - it has the long vers of "Lost in music" and "He's the greatest dancer" which are absolutely ingenius.
on 26 March 2014
Took a chance on this at a very reasonable price. All the hits are here together with some album only tracks that showcase the talents of this group. Recommended.
on 12 September 2013
kids wanted the cd as they wanted we are family played as we walked back down the aisle married as we have joined two families - was perfect on the day!
on 7 August 2012
sister sledge love it, has all the hits i remember from my disco years.a must for anyones collection of disco.boogifabulous
on 5 April 2013
A fantastic CD especially if this was your era or you are a fan . Thoroughly recommend you add this to your collection