5.0 out of 5 stars The most flexible way to run a drive over FireWire 800
Hard drive cases are cheap as chips these days, yet that is only true of USB cases.
What if you want to use faster technologies such as FireWire 800 or esata? Well then the cost of a case goes up massively.
This is a simple and hugely flexible solution to that issue.
Although not cheap it does have massive advantages.
First off you can easily use this...
Published on 26 April 2011 by C. Hamer

1.0 out of 5 stars I would not buy this again
Published 21 months ago by Des

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The most flexible way to run a drive over FireWire 800, 26 April 2011
C. Hamer "chrisahamer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Freecom 35296 Quattro Docking Station for 2.5/3.5 Inch SATA Hard Drives - Compatible with USB 2.0/FireWire400/800/eSATA (Personal Computers)
This is a simple and hugely flexible solution to that issue.
Although not cheap it does have massive advantages.
First off you can easily use this 'enclosure' or rather interface to work with many drives without any fuss at all.
Secondly it is silent. That is a huge plus as some high speed enclosures use fans which are a right pain.

I have found this dock to be compatible with Mac's and Pc's alike and have not had any issues with any SATA drives, both 3.5 inch and 2.5 inch.

This is also a massive space saver!
I have now dedicated a draw to Hard drives without cases and can simply slot in the one I want to use! No more stack of drives and power supplies!

The speed of the device is also really good.
I use the FireWire 800 connection straight to my MBP and the speeds have been pretty much full on - no complaints here at all.

If you are looking for a way to use multiple drives with only one enclosure this is the best solution I have seen yet!

I highly recommend this product for its ease of use as well as its silent and fast operation!

A great, well thought out item!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent way to connect 2.5" and 3.5" hard drives, 30 Jan 2012
James Bury (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is a great unit that comes with all the necessary different connector cables for USB / Firewire or SATA. It holds 1 drive at a time, and these are plugged vertically like a slice of toast into the slot on top of the dock. The slot has a hinged flap which fits around a 2.5" drive to keep dust out, and bends out of the way to accommodate a 3.5" drive. There is an illuminated power switch, and to change drives, you unmount it from the computer, press the switch to power down, swap drives, power on and away you go.

This is just a dock, with no cooling fan (or noise). The drive stands vertically in the dock and relies on convection for cooling. The drive itself is almost entirely exposed and not protected by the dock, so this is probably best for ad-hoc connection of drives, rather than as a permanent connection for a heavily used drive. That being said, it would probably work fine in that role, it's just that it seems a bit vulnerable. I use it for connecting swappable back-up drives, and for mounting ad hoc drives for formatting etc.

I used this to setup a new solid state drive (SSD) that I planned to replace my main HDD with. Connected via Firewire, I was amazed how fast it was when mounted externally in the dock. I could easily have kept the SSD as an externally mounted unit and still seen outstanding performance improvements relative to the existing conventional internal HDD.

For me, the best use of this is for temporary connection of drives, particularly for back-ups, as it is quick and easy to connect 2.5" or 3.5" drives, which you can then store safely elsewhere. It's not particularly cheap, but the benefit of having a Firewire or SATA connection is that it is faster than USB, and you can create a bootable clone of your main HDD. If your main HDD should fail, you just put the clone in this dock, boot the computer from it (hold Option (Alt) down on a Mac while re-booting), and within a minute or so you are back up and running. To restore a failed HDD from a conventional backup can take a full day or longer and you'll still need a replacement HDD. If you need to upgrade or replace your cloned HDD, you can just get an inexpensive standard internal drive and plug it into the dock - no need for more expensive fancy drives with all the connectors.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent addition., 1 Aug 2011
Paul Durrant (Norwich, Norfolk) - See all my reviews
I'm really pleased with this bit of kit. It's the cheapest disk interface I've found with USB, FW400, FW800 (two ports) and eSATA, and is ideal for checking what's on the bare drives that one accumulates. It can also be put in a FW800 chain, as it has two FW800 ports on the back.

I recently used mine when copying a nearly full 1TB hard disk to a new 2TB hard disk. Because of the extremely large number* of very small files, the copy took seven days to complete. The drive in the dock was being read and written to nearly constantly over that time, and did not overheat. The way the disk is held upright with no enclosure around it allows the heat to dissipate by simple convection quite effectively.

Testing the speed of the dock, I got sequential read speed of 56-126MB/s under FW800 and 102-177MB/s under eSATA, and sequential write speeds of 90MB/s under FW800 and 150MB/s under eSATA.

Highly recommended as an addition to anyone's kit list.

* more than 58 million

1.0 out of 5 stars I would not buy this again, 16 Nov 2012
I bought the Freecom 35296 Quattro recently and the electronic on/off switch packed in after some light use (20 times max). Since it was out of the 30 day returns policy with Amazon I had to deal with Freecom customer services directly, after a lot of phone calls and emails they finally agreed to send me new unit, that was 2 weeks ago. Since then they have decided that I need to send it for repair instead and this could take up to a month ! They did not have any consideration that I may need it urgently to access my drives for my work.
Amazon, who have been great to deal with have agreed to send me out a replacement within 24 hours for my trouble, more than I can say for Freecom. I do not normally complain about things but this I feel strongly about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great speed., 30 Jun 2013
Connected with a firewire 800 cable, it transfers 50GB in less than half an hour from my iMac to a 2TB Seagate Barracuda.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on 3TB drives, 16 May 2013
Only used it for a few days and so far it works flawlessly, I just wanted to add a review to let people know this works with my 3TB Seagate drives right out of the box, no issues, I did try to update it via the website after but it said I was already using the newest firmware, so I guess they are now shipping with the new firmware.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful......, 19 Nov 2012
I use these devices all the time as i work in IT. This has all the ports to provide quick transfers across Mac/PC/Linux etc.
A firmware update provides support for >2TB drives but you will need a PC to do this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Piece of Kit..., 25 Aug 2011
Tim Danaher (Newport, Gwent) - See all my reviews
What a find! I've used this with my MacBook Pro to clone its startup drive to a new Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive, and also to transfer my iTunes library from a 1TB to a 2TB disk... it works flawlessly, out of the box. I was a bit apprehensive about adaptors for 2.5" and 3.5" drives, but Freecom's solution is adaptor-free and works beautifully. I'm using it daisy-chained to an earlier FreeCom 1TB external via FireWire and the MacBook sees both drives, no problem. As long as the Quattro is plugged directly into the MacBook, it can also be used as a startup drive. Another nice touch is that Firewire 400, 800, eSATA and USB cables are provided, and the mains adaptor can be easily switched between UK and European sockets, so no need for a plug adaptor. I'd also echo all the positive comments about noise and cooling. My only quibble is that when inserted, the drives seem to sit ever so slightly skew, which at first made me think I hadn't inserted them properly. Other than that, this is a fantastic product at a good price when compared to other, far-less flexible enclosures out there.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not support >2 TB disks, 5 Mar 2012
The product does not support newest hard drives that are larger than 2.2 TB. This is not mentioned on Freecom's web site, so beware if you have, for example, purchased great 3 TB disk to go with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 Years and counting, 9 July 2014
Served me well for 3 years now - for that price that's a minor miracle. Great for using all those old disks with damaged housings, or power bricks and replaced internals on Firewire 800.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›