Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.49

on 20 July 2009
This was the first Peter James book I read and I love a good haunted house story but little did I realise I'd be jumping everytime a door creaked at home for a week afterwards, and that was during the daytime...

It is a throughly well written thriller/horror with a strong protagonist whose fiesty determination to uncover the truth makes her likeable.
There are some haunting incidences that really stay with you.

James' ability to build tension and to keep a pacey narrative turns this book into a page turning, heart thumping, ghost train of a ride.
The shocks keep you on the edge of your seat and sometimes you have to remind yourself to breathe.

As the plot unravelled I found myself figuring out the conclusion, but I'm not sure if this is what we were meant to do. But then I don't think the book was spoiled by this as the quality of the writing and the pace of the narrative are very rewarding.

Overall an excellent introduction to Peter James' spooky supernatural novels and one that will keep you guessing until the very last sentence...
VINE VOICEon 10 September 2007
Like many others l had read the 3 major titles of Mr James, and l couldn't wait another year for a new one. So l bought his back catalogue.
This is the first l have read.
Immediately on the introduction pages, it seemed to be Like James Herbert's
"The Secret of Crickley Hall", though Mr James's book was written well before James Herbert's. But that is where the familiarity stops.
Its a class of it's own, it is a horror book. Everyone has read
how people are killed by madmen, or Ghosts, as such, but l have
NEVER cringed like l did when the teapot incident happens,
o it's so real.
This is not like his 3 other books, but well worth searching out
for. The story is so believable, it does have a start, a middle
and an end, and a poignant one at that.
Not a murder detective, it's a Ghost detective, and Charley
is the girl.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 16 January 2008
I read this a little warily as I am not a fan of horror books but had enjoyed his recent 3 crime novels so much I wanted to give it a try. Having read it I wouldn't describe it as horror anyway, more supernatural. Whatever, it is certainly gripping and a real page turner, can't wait to read some of his other pre Roy Grace novels.
on 16 September 2011
i would decribe this as a kind of afternoon horror story . Its not the scariest ever but it is certainly an edge of seat ghost story . Charley moves to a run down house and feels she has been there before. Slightly disappointed by the end , I thought that she ended up with the wrong man .
on 8 November 2013
I chose to read this book by James because I'd read 'Dead Simple' which I enjoyed and thought this would be a good read too, but it was quite disappointing. It's not scary at all and I'm someone that scares easy! However, I didn't mind that part so much, I was just hoping for lots of shocks and maybe a twist at the end, but it's very predictable. I knew how the end would turn out long before I neared the end. I would not recommend reading this book of Peter James's, it's too boring.
on 1 December 2007
I read this book several years ago and found it compelling and a real page-turner, even though I don't normally read 'horror' type books. I found the whole past life regression aspect fascinating. I think it is better than his more recent detective novels.
on 4 November 2011
I just could'nt put this book down, really good storyline, kept me wondering what was going to happen next, right up to the last page.
on 3 May 2016
I have been a big fan of Peter James for years and I have enjoyed most of what he has written however, to say I was disappointed with this book is an understatement. I struggled with it until the ending, hoping it would go somewhere, it didn't and I was glad when it was finished. I have never in my life read such drivel and I do have a thing about dogs and I don't really care who gets it as long as the dog is OK. Peter James not only killed off the dog but did it in the most awful way by sending the animal plunging through the floor boards into a raging inferno. Yes, I know it is only a story but was there a need for this scenario? No, there was not! It didn't add or detract anything from the story, which really wasn't worth bothering about from the beginning. Peter should stick to his detective writings and leave the ghost hunting, and past lives and whatever to others that may or may not do it better.
on 13 August 2012
I picked this up by chance in a book sale, not realising that it was a 2005 re-print of a 1990 novel. I am so glad that I found it as, from the moment I started reading, I could not put it down.

This author writes cracking prose, so easy to read that you just whizz through it.

The main characters are Charley and Tom, who are desperate to start a family after a number of years of marriage. They both need a bit of a change of scene, so relocate to a decrepit mill cottage in the country. However the new home does not turn out to be the idyll they seek.

Give this a try and it will keep you on the edge of your seat until the end!!!!
on 26 January 2013
I love Peter James' writing, almost always, so I really wanted to like this and there were lots of good things about it; the writing swept you along and was as descriptive and flowing as usual. The characters were pretty well fleshed out and there were goodies and baddies and not always the ones you would expect. However I found the plot ridiculous, sort of Stephen King-ish but not as well rounded. I'm just too sceptical and found it difficult to know what was really happening and what was a delusion. I also felt like a lady trying to have children would recognise when she had obvious symptoms of pregnancy. I definitely prefer Peter's later work.