5.0 out of 5 stars An Adult Fairytale
If you exclude 'Good Omens' when I was about fifteen (during my Terry Pratchett phase) Stardust is the first Neil Gaiman novel I have read. I have subsequently gone on to read 'Neverwhere' and 'American Gods' is on my wish list to be purchased when I have made some headway through the backlog of books by my bed. The fact that I am willingly investing time and money on...
Published on 13 Aug. 2007 by C. Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Light and fluffy
This compact story carries Gaiman's whimsical & fun writing style into a classic fairy-tale world; the man knows how to turn a phrase and such a talent provides for most of the entertainment value in these kinds of book.

The story itself is an all-plot fairy tale – one that is complete & utter twiddle – and so nothing to be taken seriously...
Published 5 months ago by perfectly_calm

‹ Previous | 1 2 393 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Neil Gaiman never ceases to please, 24 Oct. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
Funnily enough, Neil Gaiman's "Stardust" was the last of Gaiman's four novels that I was able to read, and it happens to be the only novel in which I do not, myself, own a copy (I have *two* editions of that cult classic "Good Omens").
Albeit I believe "American Gods" is a much more intensely grand epic than "Stardust" with an incredibly complex plot, funnier moments, and better realized characters, "Stardust" differs in that it is a Mirilees-Dunsany fairy tale, seemingly old, but newly fashioned.
Gaiman gives us a novel in the period in which "There and Back Again" was just paving a way for itself into the niches of cliched fantasy.
"Stardust" follows the entirely quaint (yet sometimes heroically grisly) exploits of Tristran Thorn (who has a faerie in his lineage), who promises to his beau and love of his life to reclaim a fallen star.
This plunges him into a series of misadventures, and sometimes Gaiman can be suspected of humbly thumbing his nose at the incongruities of the contemporary fairy tale: in a dystopian Munchausen-esque manner, Gaiman gives us a lion, a unicorn, several witch-women, immoral prince regent assassins, flying ships, murky faeries and their alcoholic cocktails, goblins, etc., etc., and all that--but he still manages to offer that gaimanesque wit (although slightly silenced bnecause of the genre in which he is writing) and that effervescent originality.
Indeed, Gaiman is a master at creating memorable characters, and the "little hairy man with the hairy voice and tiny hat" he alluded to, sticks in my mind as being a brilliantly realized character of gaimanesque quirkiness, despite the fact he only appeared but a few times, and wasn't even rewarded with a name.
Gaiman is forever refreshing, and even without the Charles Vess picture plates, there is an evocative sweep of brilliance saturating "Stardust."
"Stardust" is such an intensely *cute* novel that it sometimes has disadvantages depicting immorality and evilness, but this sometimes adds to it, rather than otherwise.
Good on Gaiman for playing his hand at a long forsaken and buried treasure, a genre in which all that is needed is that Neil Gaiman magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book. Made me feel like a kid again., 4 July 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
"Stardust" came as a real surprise to me. I don't like fantasy and I don't care for fairies and unicorns (too 'twee' and silly). On the other hand, I was told I'd like it by my boyfriend who is a Neil Gaiman fan(and I do love "The Princess Bride"), so I agreed to read it. I decided I would just read the first chapter. I was hooked. It was like chocolate or ice cream, something rich and lovely that you never want to stop. What fairy stories must be like in a perfect world. I suppose it made me feel like a kid again. I loved the romance and the wonderful way Neil Gaiman puts words together. I wished I had someone to read it out loud to. I've reread it three times since I first read it (I was given the US edition) and it gets better with every time. Thumbs up.

3.0 out of 5 stars I love the movie, 6 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
Stardust is an imaginative fairy tale set in the world of Faerie. I’ll admit that I saw the movie before I read this book. I love the movie, so I was expecting something fantastic from the book – as the books are almost always better than the movies – but I feel like this story fell a little short.

I believe I would have enjoyed this story more if I had not seen the movie first, mostly because it is so vastly different in many respects. I feel the movie does a better job of telling the story than the actual story does – which is not something I would have ever thought I would say.

There’s more graphic violence and sex in the book than the film, which does put me off ever so slightly. I did, however, still very much enjoy reading the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my fave books of all time, 30 July 2007
Ms. S. L. Denning "beanie121" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
This book is just magical. Ever wanted to escape to another world for hours on end? Then buy this book. I havent enjoyed a fantasy book like this in a long time. Reminds me a bit of peter pan and neverland in the way that its very child like but very grown up at the same time. The movie is due to be relesed this summer and looks fantastic. Loved every word of every page.

2.0 out of 5 stars Entirely dissapointed, 12 May 2015
This review is from: Stardust (Kindle Edition)
Love the film so thought I'd love the book just as much as it normally goes 'never judge a book by it's movie' meaning the film is normally worse. In this case I found the book actually contained less information that the film. I had to force myself to read this as I was continually bored with the plot and the lack of detail. Maybe I made a mistake by reading this after seeing the film, but in my head I was referring back to the plot of the film and thinking 'this doesn't make sense' or that the book would be better had the author put the parts in the movie that weren't in the book in the storyline of the book.
All in all, I had high expectations for this book and it failed me miserably.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unusually..., 26 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Stardust (Kindle Edition)
Not as good as the film! There's a sentence I didn't think I'd ever say about a book. I found it just lacked something. It didn't have me gripped and I certainly didn't believe in Tristran and Yvaine's love at the end. Was a bit disappointed, I expected so much from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, enchanting and delightful, 13 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
Wow wow wow. This book blew me away. Having been recommended it to me by a young married couple I know who were travelling and BOTH loved it, despite describing it as a 'fairytale' (yes, even the guy!), I gave it a go. And I was not disappointed. It's not a long read, being only about 250 pages long, but I was transported to the most magical of places and introduced to the most enchanting of creatures within the first pages. If you have read and loved His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman or any Garth Nix novels then you will probably love this too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fairy tale to inspire, 2 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
What a fantastic story!! Layers of magical threads all weaving together to create a rich tapestry of fairytale. Thoroughly recommended if you like magic, fairytales and stories of the fantastic. It is also a powerful love story that is truly inspirational!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 April 2015
This review is from: Stardust (Kindle Edition)
Disappointing in its delivery. Predictable story line. All of the love scenes were unnecessary and awkward distractions from the story itself which otherwise I would have thought appropriate for children. I would not recommend this book to anyone really.

4.0 out of 5 stars A quest in faerieland, 19 Feb. 2006
Stephen A. Haines (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
In fantasy writing, the quest is an established cliché. Neil Gaiman has the enviable ability to rise above clichés, presenting the story of a real man in bizarre circumstances. Although born of a faerie mother, Tristran's only power is persistence, a quality any human can emulate. He seeks a fallen star, which any of us would assume would be but a bit of iron rock. This one, when finally retrieved, turns out to be an astral nymph of very human temperment. Along his way, Tristran skirts a dispute over a royal inheritance, encounters a witch of supremely wicked deviousness and helpful gnome. The cast is as complete as any fantasy tale. Gaiman manages to breathe fresh spirit into this array of characters, lifting them from the common images often found in such tales.
My introduction to Gaiman was his collaboration with Terry Pratchett in Good Omens. Without prior experience of his work, it was difficult to separate the input of each author. This book demonstrates PTerry's wisdom in choosing Gaiman to relate that tale of Armageddon. Gaiman has a fine prose style and draws his characters with skill. His wit is excellent, demonstrated in his resolution of the problem of how to have a week of two Mondays. This is a fine read for young and older alike. [stephen a. haines - Ottawa, Canada]

‹ Previous | 1 2 393 | Next ›