5.0 out of 5 stars An Adult Fairytale
If you exclude 'Good Omens' when I was about fifteen (during my Terry Pratchett phase) Stardust is the first Neil Gaiman novel I have read. I have subsequently gone on to read 'Neverwhere' and 'American Gods' is on my wish list to be purchased when I have made some headway through the backlog of books by my bed. The fact that I am willingly investing time and money on...
Published on 13 Aug 2007 by C. Green

3.0 out of 5 stars "Stardust" is an easy and enjoyable read.
In the efforts to win over Victoria Forester's heart, our hero, Tristran Thorn crosses the town's ancient wall and into Faerie, a dangerous and magical world, vowing to retrieve a fallen star to prove his love for her. Blinded by his love for Victoria, Tristran does not see that she is cold, unbearable, shallow, and distant as the star.

Upon finding the star,...
Published on 5 July 2011 by FantasticalWords.com

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Stardust or Twilight Zone?, 6 April 2007
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
Having read Good Omens and being impressed, I was disappointed with Smoke and Mirrors in places, BUT Stardust lifted my spirits again. His characters are believable (even the dead ones), his style of writing lets the eye flow over the words, leaving your imagination to paint its own images. A story well structured, well told and grounded in enough reality to maintain the interest of non sci-fi/fantasy readers. I am pleased to have seen recently that Stardust is to be made into a film (sadly the film never lives up to the book), so read this before a film spoils it - you have until August 2007 by the look of it. I really really enjoyed this book, I have not read Anasi Boys (yet) so I can not compare it, but on its own it stands up well. What have you got to lose? This may help you find your heart's desire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the non illustrated edition., 9 Aug 2000
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
Originally published in 4 fifty or sixty page installements, I thought that the title sounded familiar when I went into a bookshop and saw a 'novel' by Neil Gaiman. I bought it instantly and loved it. Then, a few days later whilst talking to the owner of my local comic shop, I mentioned that Neil Gaiman had written an actual novel, and mentioned the name and to my surprise he pulled from the shelf the four individual, lavishly illustrated books that make up this collection. The illustrations make the tale, with these it is the 'proper' fairy tale it is meant to be. Who ever heard of a fairy story without pictures? Buy this version as opposed to the plain version. Apparently the plain version is slightly rewritten, but who cares, this is just as good and has the lovely illustrations

4.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 12 Aug 2002
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
I'm just trying to catch up with Neil Gaiman's novels having read 'American Gods' and thought WOW! I read 'Stardust' over the weekend and what an enchanting little tale it was. I love reading stories like this, the sort of thing you least expect from someone, a modern day Faerie tale for adults which brings real life in with storytelling, i.e. references to Queen Victoria etc. A beautiful little tale of true love, and falling in love where you least expect to find it. Tristan Dunstan is a charming character who falls for the obvious village beauty, Victoria who spurns him. In his quest to win her affection he goes in search of a fallen star, who turns out to be a female called Yvaine who broke her leg when she fell. Together they must fulfill their separate 'missions'. Along the way they meet many different characters - good and bad for not everyone in faery land can be trusted and Tristan is not the only one in search of the fallen star.
This book is an absolute delight, you can picture every scene in your head as you read it, Gaiman's ability to capture a land of make believe is incredible.
If you enjoyed this, you must read Stephen King's 'Eyes of the Dragon'. It made me want to read it again!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Neil Gaiman never ceases to please, 24 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
Funnily enough, Neil Gaiman's "Stardust" was the last of Gaiman's four novels that I was able to read, and it happens to be the only novel in which I do not, myself, own a copy (I have *two* editions of that cult classic "Good Omens").
Albeit I believe "American Gods" is a much more intensely grand epic than "Stardust" with an incredibly complex plot, funnier moments, and better realized characters, "Stardust" differs in that it is a Mirilees-Dunsany fairy tale, seemingly old, but newly fashioned.
Gaiman gives us a novel in the period in which "There and Back Again" was just paving a way for itself into the niches of cliched fantasy.
"Stardust" follows the entirely quaint (yet sometimes heroically grisly) exploits of Tristran Thorn (who has a faerie in his lineage), who promises to his beau and love of his life to reclaim a fallen star.
This plunges him into a series of misadventures, and sometimes Gaiman can be suspected of humbly thumbing his nose at the incongruities of the contemporary fairy tale: in a dystopian Munchausen-esque manner, Gaiman gives us a lion, a unicorn, several witch-women, immoral prince regent assassins, flying ships, murky faeries and their alcoholic cocktails, goblins, etc., etc., and all that--but he still manages to offer that gaimanesque wit (although slightly silenced bnecause of the genre in which he is writing) and that effervescent originality.
Indeed, Gaiman is a master at creating memorable characters, and the "little hairy man with the hairy voice and tiny hat" he alluded to, sticks in my mind as being a brilliantly realized character of gaimanesque quirkiness, despite the fact he only appeared but a few times, and wasn't even rewarded with a name.
Gaiman is forever refreshing, and even without the Charles Vess picture plates, there is an evocative sweep of brilliance saturating "Stardust."
"Stardust" is such an intensely *cute* novel that it sometimes has disadvantages depicting immorality and evilness, but this sometimes adds to it, rather than otherwise.
Good on Gaiman for playing his hand at a long forsaken and buried treasure, a genre in which all that is needed is that Neil Gaiman magic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buying the right edition is a nightmare ...!, 13 Feb 2013
Z. Aslam "Z" (Cork, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I've been trying to buy the original version of this book - with the lush full=page illustrations by Charles Vess. "Stardust: The Gift Edition" is not it. This blue, hardback book is a lovely item, designed (as Neil Gaiman says in his forward) to look like it was published in the 1920s. It has some simple line drawings by Vess. But if you are looking for the original, fully illustrated version with Vess' amazing artwork, this is not the edition you are looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my fave books of all time, 30 July 2007
Ms. S. L. Denning "beanie121" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
This book is just magical. Ever wanted to escape to another world for hours on end? Then buy this book. I havent enjoyed a fantasy book like this in a long time. Reminds me a bit of peter pan and neverland in the way that its very child like but very grown up at the same time. The movie is due to be relesed this summer and looks fantastic. Loved every word of every page.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fairy tale to inspire, 2 Aug 2005
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
What a fantastic story!! Layers of magical threads all weaving together to create a rich tapestry of fairytale. Thoroughly recommended if you like magic, fairytales and stories of the fantastic. It is also a powerful love story that is truly inspirational!

4.0 out of 5 stars Timeless and heroic, a tale of a different age, 1 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: STARDUST (Hardcover)
As a long time fan of Neil Gaiman I awaited Stardust with much enthusiasm, I was not dissapointed. The tale of a young man from the village of Wall and his adventures in the land of faeire on the trail of a fallen star hooked me from the start. The many plot threads were seemlessly interwoven and dovetailed to a satisfying ending, helped in no small part by Charles Vess's fabulous illustrations. The book reads as a child's fairytale, shot through with adult subtleties. Overall, definately a departure from the usual Neil Gaiman style, but thankfully not that much of a departure. A delight to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect fairytale, 23 Sep 2006
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
In my opinion this might be the best book ever written. I've read it over and over again, and will probably continue to do so for the rest of my life. And I think I would have loved it just as much if I had read it when I was a child as I did when I first picked it up in my late teens. I was at this big musicfestival in Roskilde, Denmark, and I needed something to help me relax in the little spaces that occur between all the concerts, wild partying and rather exhaustive social mingling with strangers. I found this little book and some strange things happened.

First, the opening chapters brought on a strong feeling of dejá-vu. The description of the meadow with the wall and gateway into fairie seemed eerily like something I've really seen somwhere, probably in my dreams but the pictures I got in my head was remarkably vivid and somhow more solid than dreams usually are.

A more mundane explanation for the dejá-vu might be that the concept of there being doorways from this world to another is not very original. In fact, it is so widely used in storytelling that everyone who read books have probably come across this idea several times in several different forms. Normally, when I'm reading fantastic litterature I avoid authors who use unoriginal ideas. There is simply too many clichés in the genre, and elves (with the exception of Tolkiens) have started to bore me. The genius of Neil Gaiman is that he manages to take old worn-out stories, in this case The Hero that journeys through unknown lands in The Quest for True Love, and tell them in a fresh and fascinating way. In this book the cliché is transformed into the classic. I adore the little quirks and bends in the story, the intriguing side characters and most of all how Mr.Gaiman leave little spaces for my own imagination to work with. Good books are not just entertainment for a passive mind, they trigger your fantasies and expand them. As mentioned before: This is a very good book.

Which bring me to the second weird thing that happened the first time I read this book. During the whole festivalweek all my dreams took place in the fairytaleworld described in the book. It was the most rewarding reading experience ever. I won't guarantee this will happen to everyone that reads "Stardust", but maybe to some of you....

4.0 out of 5 stars great book, 26 Nov 2007
Y. Kazemi Haghighi (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
I absolutely love this book... but i feel that with the recent release of the film and it being popular with the younger generation perhaps do not buy this as a christmas present for a younger person as there is one very small part that is a bit 'graphic' if you get my gist! Everyone else must read it though!

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›