4.0 out of 5 stars The Watcher
This is the fourth book in the Jonathan Stride series from Brian Freeman, I wont go into lots of detail concerning the plot as it has already been covered by previous reviewers here on amazon.
Published on 29 May 2009 by molko

3.0 out of 5 stars Distinctly average
I found I had to force myself to pick up this book until I was about halfway through, at which point it became a bit more interesting. When I finished it I felt that I had read an adequate thriller, but nothing more. The last half is quite good but unfortunately the build up took far too long.
Published on 1 Jun 2009 by JM

4.0 out of 5 stars The Watcher, 29 May 2009
molko (Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Watcher (Paperback)
As I have already said this is the 4th in the series and is just as good and fast paced as the previous 3; Immoral, Stripped, and Stalked. I really enjoyed the 3rd book; Stalked and found this to not be as good as that but certainly worth the read as part of a series. I think the real drive of Freeman's books are the characters as they are all so real and relateable and beautifully developed.
One note is that this is best read as a part of the series and not as a standalone. Definately recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Read, 19 July 2010
G. Nolan "book addict" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Watcher (Paperback)
Yet another great Crime Thriller writer I have only come across in the past six months, and have now read all his books. His style of writing is what I have found in Karin Slaughter, Mo Hayder, Val McDermid, to name but a few and his subject matter as gritty as theirs. So if you like these writers, you'll also love Brian Freeman. His lead character, Stride, has a back story which carries through the books and the storylines are gripping and will leave you wanting more. Can't wait for his next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Watcher - Brian Freeman, 7 Feb 2009
S. Lloyd (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Watcher (Hardcover)
"The Watcher" is the 4th novel to feature Lt. Jonathan Stride. Stride is approached by Tish Verdure, claiming to be a friend of his wife who died 5 years earlier of cancer. Yet Stride can not remember Tish or his former wife, Cindy, ever mentioning her.

Tish Verdure is looking for new evidence to re-open a 30-year old unsolved murder investigation involving Laura Starr, the sister of Stride's former wife, Cindy. She is writing a book about Laura's murder. However she is economic with the truth herself.

As Tish probes for new evidence and Stride reluctantly carries out his own enquiries, it becomes clear there were several people at the scene and time of Laura's murder - creating a high suspect list. This allows for several twists and turns in the plot to mask the identity of the killer.

Alongside the old murder case is the need to quickly catch a peeping tom which eventually leads to the a young girl being hounded to her death.

Freeman gives us clues through 2 different view points. Maybe not subtle enough as this meant, as with "Stalked" I worked out the identity of the killer and peeping Tom quite early on.

There are hellish family secrets woven into the plot which people go to great pains to remain buried. There are several crime novels with the theme of the past coming back to haunt you. Freeman takes this with a fresh and modern style to his writing. He gives this novel a richness with some really poignant parts, in particular Stride coping with his emotions as memories of Cindy become hard to deal with and the near breakdown of the father not coping with his young daughter having been driven to her death.

The climax of the novel is a bit like an action-packed film but it does have the edge of will Stride make it or not.

Overall this is a gripping and absorbing thriller with a lasting impression of realistic characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 5 May 2010
Martyn Jones "Shakey" (Oswestry Shropshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Watcher (Paperback)
I picked up The watcher in a charity shop a couple of weeks ago for 25 pence!
I'd never heard of Brian Freeman prior to this, having been an avid reader of James Paterson, Andrew Gross, Robert Ludlum, Wilbur Smith, Michael Connelly etc. over the past 30+ years.
The Watcher is one of the best novels I've ever read. The characters, the plot, the ending, all first class and more than equal to Paterson's highest standard.
Today I found Immoral, Brian's first book in the series, and I can't wait!

4.0 out of 5 stars Duluth not a quiet town-and avoid the bridge!, 3 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Watcher (Paperback)
The setting is Duluth Minnesota.An old industrial town on the Great Lakes that has not adjusted to the end of its shipbuilding;mining etc past.An old murder case-never solved- comes back to life prompted by a reporter with a past, and a more than passing interest in what happened 30 yrs before.
Stride is drawn into it again, as it involves his high school sweetheart who became his wife,and who tragically died while still young.The author is at his best describing the long ago love affair between these 2 that led them to marriage.
A very good story(even though I guessed who the murderer was long before the end), because of the evocative descriptions of this strange town perched on the edge of the Great Lakes, and the hardy people who accept to live in these extreme weather conditions.
Well written,with some very tense moments-especially on that road bridge that allows the giant freighters to pass through the lakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Watcher (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book! It is only the second book I have read by this author and I can't wait to read more of his books! Couldn't put it down x

5.0 out of 5 stars Tears in my eyes!, 3 Feb 2014
Wow! What a wonderful journey I have just been on
Definitely the best of the Stride novels
A real twist at the end l didn't stand a chance of guessing who did it
I could see this one being made into a movie
You will not be disappointed even if you read it as a stand alone

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Watcher (Paperback)
Started slowly but soon became a gripping 'Who Done it'. I enjoy all Brian'Freeman's books, not found anything to criticize at all. The only problem is reading it into the night, unable to put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars riveting, 18 Jun 2013
A very enjoyable tale
A most interesting new book and also author for me I enjoyed the various twists to the story

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing story, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Watcher (Kindle Edition)
I love his fast-paced story-telling - there's always another twist coming, and just when you think you've sussed who did what, you are suddenly compelled to think again. The characters, even minor ones, are well-defined, and it's easy to care about them and be drawn in to the story. What is not so easy is putting the book down before you've finished. I have one more short story by Brian Freeman to read, and then I have read all his books. A new Jonathan Stride will be along in the Spring, apparently, and I for one can't wait!

The Watcher