5.0 out of 5 stars Got a plasma? You'll love it. Got an LED? Not as much.
Published 2 months ago by T. C. Osborne

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than part 2.
The 3D is great, and the special effects are incredible, the part with the sky-scrapper is worth the admission price alone. However, the storyline is incomprehensible / poor (as always), the dialogue is atrocious and although she's great eye candy, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley (Sam's girlfriend) can't act.

This film is 30 mins too long, like all the Transformer...
Published 21 months ago by Film Buff

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than part 2., 11 July 2012
Film Buff (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Triple Play (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) [2011] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)

This film is 30 mins too long, like all the Transformer films. At this point (with all the slam, bang, crash action) you'll be waiting for it to end. It's better than part 2 which was abysmal but not as good as the original. I've given this three stars at a push, because despite my better judgement I quite enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got a plasma? You'll love it. Got an LED? Not as much., 21 Jan 2014
T. C. Osborne (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I didn't rate this film until I watched it on a 51" plasma. Then the whole thing made perfect sense and is probably the most spectacular film I have ever seen. I had previously seen it on a 40" 60Hz 1080p LED and was bored to tears. Your TV has to be able to handle fast paced motion otherwise you simply won't be able to see what the director intended for you to see. The 600hz refresh rate of a plasma is able to keep up with the action as robots get crunched, glass shatters, buildings get torn in half and motorways are ripped up. The number of jaw-dropping, eye-popping special effects and CGI mayhem just left me in AWE of what I was watching. Just an insane film. A thing of real beauty. Plasma has got a bit of a bad name at the moment(in fact its in its death throes)but films like this can't be watched on anything else. Highly recommended...if you have a plasma!!!

Samsung PS51F4500 51-inch Widescreen HD Ready Plasma TV with Freeview (New for 2013)

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing film, half hearted release, 26 Nov 2011
The Film:-

The first Transformers film was a brilliant live action representation of the franchise which I grew up with and loved, sure it wasn't as good as the original transformers movie but it had huge explosions and robots kicking seven shades out of each other. Then we had Revenge of the Fallen, which although had really good action scenes dropped the ball, too much over the top comedy and the overly human aspect to the stories never sat right.

This on the other hand has the balance about right in my opinion and some of the most amazing action scenes I've seen. We have lost the comedy side kicks (the twins) and robots with testicles, and of course Megan Fox. The first half does seem to drag a bit and could of been cut down to around 30 mins with no real loss to the 'story' however the last hour more than makes up for this as the full on Decepticon assault begins in Chicago.

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley who replaced Fox is certainly a beautiful woman but to me feels a little out of her depth in a full out action movie like this. Patrick Dempsey also makes an appearance and does a good job of going against his seeming good guy typecasting. Shia LeBeouf again plays the bumbling idiot really well although it has started to wear thin by now and I think going forward a new type of human 'hero' would be a good move for the franchise.

The soundtrack is brilliant and definitely suits the movie. Linkin Park provide the lead single for the film and don't go far wrong with the tone.
A few emotional punches and twists make this a thoroughly enjoyable film, just turn of your brain and enjoy it for the popcorn movie that its meant to be.

Blu-ray:-
The transfer is flawless, definitely reference quality with perfect picture and sound throughout. I would really recommend this flim, and probably the other 2 transformer movies for showing off your hardware. It comes in the standard amaray casing with no slip cover.

Extras:-
There are none. Which is unusual for a Michael Bay film as he loves his extra material. However, the 3D version of this movie is due to be released early next year and it is rumoured to include a shed load of extras. To me this seems unfair on the consumer who has paid their hard earned cash on buying a vanilla release. A clever marketing ploy by Paramount means that they will have to double dip to get any extras as the studios continue to push 3D onto the public.

Summary:-
A 4 Star movie, stunningly transferred onto a reference quality Blu-ray let down by a vanilla release and therefore only allowing for a 3 star review.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst of the trilogy by a mile., 9 Feb 2014
All the films have grated slightly, it's the faces of the Transformers that don't do it for me... I grew up watching the old cartoons and they were much cooler without their modern day makeovers.
However, aside from this, I did enjoy sitting back and watching the action unfold in the two prequels, not so with this. The plot is as flat and naff as it could possibly be, everything about this just made me feel like I was wasting a couple of hours that I would never get back, much the same as "Pirates of the Caribbean 3 : At Worlds End" which was as equally disappointing as this (for want of a better word) rubbish...

5.0 out of 5 stars Giant Robots. Hitting each other ..., 19 May 2012
P. Millar "dazzle" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I enjoy arthouse movies. I enjoy foreign films. I enjoy low-budget American indie. But, just occasionally, I'm in the mood for giant robots. Hitting each other.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what you'd expect from a movie about giant robots kicking the crap out of each other, 15 Nov 2011
Isn't it time people stopped bitching about these movies? Not subtle? Its about giant robots for Bob's sake. If Spielberg had made this (rather than say, just having his name in the small print) then the entire world would be kissing its ass and proclaiming it heaven sent AND prepping the 20th anniversary edition... Awesome animation, near faultless photo-realism and Nimoy (in his 2nd transformers outing) self-mockingly reinventing the famous 'needs of the many' speech, and hell, his character even looks like him. Yes, its Bay not Malick, but not every film can be The Tree of Life (given that every other film made is equally guilty if we follow that line of argument). Bay destroys the world before your eyes, the skyscraper sequence is jaw-dropping, and I, for one, cheered like a loon when Optimus kicks everyone's arse at the end. Oh, yes, the blonde girl is (a) slightly attractive and (b) woefully miscast. Buts its a movie about giant robots! Its hardly realism (and thats hardly a fault). Good movie, loved the lot, hope they make more. Which they will as this made buckets of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars D W Griffiths would have shrunk away at some of this, 3 Mar 2014
This was so bad (until Mr Spock arrived as principal dame) that I fell asleep a t least 3 tiimes in the battle sequences. The Boy Girl bits were worse. Decidedly the worst purchase of the last year

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant special effects - but what else?, 12 Jun 2013
Laura Hartley (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I was extremely disappointed with the latest Transformers movie. Granted, I didn't have much faith in it to begin with as the second one was also a major slope down from the first; however, I didn't think it would be this bad.

Ok, so the first thing I noticed was the mysterious disappearance of Megan Fox and the appearance of her replacement it seems Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, a British Victoria's Secret Model. Well, where did Megan Fox go?! The only explanation given is that she dumped Sam. There's no hint as to why, when, where etc. This really bothered me for some reason. I'm not a very big fan of Megan Fox but I felt that she played quite a large role in this franchise and I was disappointed that the producers messed with the flow of Transformers by replacing her. This was their first mistake.

Secondly, if I'm perfectly honest I had no frickin' idea what the hay was going on for most of this movie. The first part was all about how sad Sam's life is and how he needs to get a grip, get a job and stop thinking about the decepticons. Whilst all the action is going on in this movie Sam and Carly's relationship unfolds and develops which is a bit distracting for the viewer as the story switches and merges plot lines. Sam is jealous of Carly's relationship with her new boss, a rich man (Patrick Dempsey), who buys her a car and then *shocker* her boss turns out to be in league with the Decepticons.

There is a new bad guy: Sentinel Prime, who in my opinion just looks like a robotic ent. He was Optimus Primer's predecessor and was in charge of guarding the 'Pillars', but he secretly made a deal with Megatron and is now one of the bad guys. Using these Pillars the Decepticons want to set up a teleportation link bringing all the Decepticons to Earth, which has the resources they require. In my opinion this made the film look like a race between giant robots to find some sticks. Meanwhile, the Decepticons are murdering members of the US and Russian space missions to cover their traces, but of course, they're not very subtle about this. (Hint: man mysteriously flies out the window of a high storey building). The Decepticons threaten to wage war on Earth if the humans don't agree to exiling the Autobots, so of course, the humans pack off their only means of protection up in a space shuttle and shoot it into the sky. Then, after a bazillion fires, explosions, special effects, peace is restored - as expected.

I don't know why but for some reason the only thing I could think of everytime I saw Shia laBeouf was Even Stevens. I didn't feel this way during the other two movies so perhaps LaBeouf's acting had slipped back into old ways and he was reprising the role of Louis Stevens.

What is quite cool is how they incorporate history into this movie by saying that the 'Space Race' of the Cold War between the USA and the USSR was caused because a Cybertronian spacecraft landed on the moon.

Some people really liked this movie, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why. I guess the special effects are fantastic but it's effect is significantly lessened as there is no plot line to back it up. All in all I thought this movie was a bit of a mess. It lacked plot and detail that was needed and by the end of the movie I could see, hear and think was explosions, explosions, explosions. Thank god this is the last instalment so they can stop tarnishing the name Transformer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, to a certain extent, 13 Jan 2013
The new technology used in the movie was impressive however it didn't beat the second movie, revenge of the fallen. Also, it would have been better with Megan Fox.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pulp celluloid, 28 Jun 2012
Jack Heslop - See all my reviews
Transformers 3 is the film equivalent of a pulp novel. In an age where most people see it as something students do the reading of any book is lauded to a degree, so it's easy to forget that a lot of pulp fiction was crap made for profit. And that tradition has been inherited by movies. I was somewhat entertained by Transformers 3. The plot was shallow, but then so are most Hollywood plots. The characters were archetypes, though again, this is pulp. What happens is forgettably amusing, even if it means nothing.
I can't bring myself to give it more than two stars because it isn't a good movie, at least in the sense that Ghostbusters, for instance, is a good movie, but if you're willing to enjoy it on a purely visceral level it can be entertaining. Sadly we don't live in a world where great art and pop culture are commonplace, so you take whatever joys you can find. I liked a shot of the heroes sliding down a twisted skyscraper, and if your TV's equipped with 3D it heightens the images' intensity.
There's also a story with plot points and developments. We don't get a third act which ties all the threads and makes clear what's happened, so the film abruptly ends during its climax, but any structure at all is a welcome surprise.
One big problem I had with this film, and others of its ilk, was its casual approach to human life. Anyone who isn't important to the plot serves only to run, scream and be destroyed. That's okay for a horror film, but if an action epic is going to engage me I need more humanity. In one scene several people are reduced to crumbling bones by lasers, and in another a soldier slides off a building, presumably to his death, but no-one comments on this. How can I root for heroes who only care about their own selfish backsides? Plus, all that robot fighting must have destroyed numerous homes and businesses. There's probably thousands of people trapped in rubble, choking on their own blood, while Optimus Prime lectures about protecting mankind. If I held a position of power in this universe I'd tell the Autobots to eff off and fight their war somewhere else.
I haven't mentioned any of the actors' or characters' names yet, which illustrates my response to this film. Shia LaBeouf plays Sam Witwicky, who's like every other hero in this genre, and he has a new girlfriend, Carly Spencer (Rosie Huntington Whiteley). Critics have savaged Whiteley's performance for reasons unknown to me. She's not Meryl Streep, but who could be with this material? Streep couldn't be Streep if saddled with lines about a robot being another robot's "bitch". Given that she's a complete newcomer I think Whiteley delivers her lines pretty well, getting through the tedious script with gusto.

ARRAY(0xa6e1960c)