4.0 out of 5 stars Weird but wonderful...
Reading some of the reviews, I thought Rango might not be suitable for my three year old daughter, and considering it was a PG I had a watch of it first to see what I thought.

The film begins in a very similar way to the excellent Aardman/Dreamworks Flushed Away, a pampered but lonely pet is thrown into the wild world and forced to fend for himself...
Published on 21 Jan 2012 by Mitsuco

3.0 out of 5 stars Its ok
This movie was a bit bizarre. My kids have tried watching it a few times but lose interest after a while. It is probably suited to older children.
Published 13 months ago by Linda

4.0 out of 5 stars Weird but wonderful..., 21 Jan 2012
This review is from: Rango [DVD] (DVD)

It then morphs into the classic western plot, stranger in town, corrupt mayor, gunslingers etc, all played out by a cast of beautifully animated ugly wild creatures.

Yes, it is weird, the animals are not standardised Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks cuties - they are rough and ready, battered looking wild creatures.

Yes, some of the references - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Clint Eastwood westerns, assorted Tarantino-esque moments - will be lost on little ones, but then the best animated films appeal to all age groups.

After watching I decided my daughter would get along OK with Rango, and it has quickly become a favourite, being requested most days!

I would say that if your kids can handle the weirder side of animation - my daughters favourites include Coraline, Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr Fox, the Nightmare Before Christmas and the Studio Ghibli movies - they will love this film. If they prefer their animation a bit more cute and cuddly, perhaps steer clear or buy it for the grown ups to enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover your inner lizard and hit the Dirt, gringo - but beware of bullets, buzzards, bats and bullfrogs by bushels!, 9 Mar 2011
Maciej "Darth Maciek" (Darth Maciek is out there...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rango [DVD] (DVD)
I expected a lot from the duo Verbinski/Depp and I was not disappointed. Both me and my 10 y.o. daughter we spend a great cinema moment together watching "Rango" and I recommend this movie for a whole family evening, as it is a typical "kidult" (kid+adult) movie. In fact, when I looked, there were more adults than kids in the cinema and they were all having a really great time!

The reasons why this movie is so good are many, and I will try to enumerate the more important, avoiding the spoilers as much as possible:

1) It is a really really good, solid classical western, with all the necessary ingredients: a lawless town (named Dirt), a mysterious lone stranger, a cemetery filled with dead sheriffs, a cute (although tough) senorita in dire straits, a bank robbery, a saloon filled with the scum of the earth, a joyful merry undertaker (which is only normal - his is the only prospering business in Dirt), a deadly evil gunfighter who ALWAYS "takes a soul" in every town he visits, an Indian tracker (who molts, but we shall not hold it against him, shall we?) and also desperadoes, buzzards, posses, dynamite, old timers with shotguns, youngsters with Colts, hillbillies with Gatling machine guns, booze galore, Far West stories, coffee and beans around a campfire, mariachis on the cactuses and let's not forget the seven brothers killed with one bullet...)))

2) Johny Depp gives to Rango more than just his voice - this lizard IS Johny Depp! And also by placing in his mouth some of the lines from "Pirates of the Caribbean", Johny Depp made me relieve some of the best moments of this franchise. There were moments when I half expected seeing Barbossa behind that Gatling machine gun!

3) The Spirit of the West - as a wise old armadillo called Roadkill teaches Rango, "the Spirit of the West rides in a white chariot with a guard of golden warriors" - and indeed he does! And I guarantee you that when you finally meet yourself the Spirit of the West you will spill the soda on your pants and choke on your popcorn, like half of the public did (me included) when we were watching it in the cinema! I almost died laughing at this moment (although my daughter did not get the joke - and I think most of the kids will not get it either). No more spoilers here about The Spirit of the West!

4) Visually and graphically this is a very well done movie, quite unique in style, unlike anything else made by Pixar or Dreamworks. In fact I really hope that Nickelodeon Movies will carry on, because this style of movie making completes very pleasantly the offer on the market of kid (and kidult) movies. VERY good job on the visual aspect of this movie!

To keep the things short I will not say much more and I will just invite you to see it in the cinema if you still can and then to enjoy it on DVD. And I am all in favor of a sequel, in which we could hear for example an old grumpy one eyed rat saying: "Fill yer hands, rascals!" before charging ahead with his Colts blazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Our favorite family film!, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Rango [DVD] (DVD)
Love this film! Bought it for my 6 year old Son for Christmas and we must have watched it 20 times since, at least. So funny and a great story, characters are quite quirky but that's what he likes about it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome..., 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Rango [DVD] (DVD)
Was blown away with this movie, it looks great the story is fun and has some great laughs, one of the best all round animation movies released. A enjoyable movie if you have family or not..

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Rango [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this for my Niece and Nephew, and they love it, I would recommend this for any family who has youngsters who would appreciate these types of movie with there parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rango, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Rango [DVD] (DVD)
What a wonderful and very funny film. It has a good story too and the characters can be related to people we all know. We loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great movie, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Rango [DVD] (DVD)
this is a great movie that i enjoyed fully and would definitely recommend any would be buyers to get it

5.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Depp , you are an amazing actor! XD, 1 Aug 2013
Kirsty (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rango [DVD] (DVD)
This film is pretty amazing to be honest , made me laugh a lot. Also when it came to that fight between Rango and the big evil snake! I literally was in tears from laughter , could seriously just sit down and watch this more than once and I still wouldn't let it go XD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent dvd, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Rango [DVD] (DVD)
amazing film to watch brothers and sisters thought it was a funny film to watch would recommend this dvd and seller to all my friends and family

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - don't miss this gem!, 26 April 2011
We went to see this on the spur of the moment as there was nothing else we fancied on at the pictures that night. I'm glad we did as this is one of the most 'feel good' films I have seen in a long time. I wont go on as the other reviewers have mentioned all the best bits already but I have to say that the 'Ride of the Valkyries' played on banjos - a parody of the iconic Apocalypse Now scene - was brilliant.
I've seen it twice now and can't wait to get the Blue-ray when it comes out.

Rango [DVD]
Rango [DVD] by Gore Verbinski (DVD - 2011)
3.00