Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 26 March 2011
I'm very pleased that John Du Prez (the composer of Monty Python) has released the soundtrack of the Longman Nursery Rhymes video as a CD. I have the cassette of this, issued as 70 Golden Nursery Rhymes, so you can imagine how happy I was that John Du Prez released the music from that video as a CD through his production company. Not many people know that he served as musical director for that marvellous video, with superb voices singing and reciting the rhymes, accompanied by a pop-up book presentation. All the well-known rhymes are included, plus a few others that aren't so well known, and the presentation of the rhymes is tasteful and varied. There are almost 70 rhymes on this recording, and each rhyme doesn't overstay its welcome like some other nursery rhyme records. The presentation shifts from sung rhymes to speech, and mixes the voices of grown-ups and children. The musical arrangements are first class, ranging from unaccompanied rhymes to simple piano accompaniment, from Baroque ensemble to folk hoe-down.

There are a few differences between this CD and the original tape I had. The original tape didn't include the theme music that introduced each set of rhymes. Also, this CD, for some unexplained reason, omits one rhyme, Taffy was a Welshman, recited just before Sing a Song of Sixpence. I can understand that Mr. Du Prez may have decided to cut the rhyme because it condoned stealing and theft, but it may have been an inadvertent cut when they were putting this CD together. I've e-mailed Ocean Music and hopefully they will gladly get back to me on this matter.

I understand that Ocean Music is waiting to reissue this nursery rhymes video on DVD soon, and I think it's a great thing that the children of the future can enjoy this well-put together collection.

This is arguably the BEST nursery rhyme record ever and deserves to be in print forever.
on 9 March 2013
I played this CD before passing it on for my grandson, and was very pleasantly surprised how nice it was to listen to. The selection of songs is wide and includes many that I know but would not have thought of. The mixture of children's and adults' voices comes over very well, especially as the adults do not have trained singing voices. The songs are sung simply but with humour, altogether very enjoyable.
on 30 January 2013
I bought this CD for my Grandchildren, ages 3 and 4 years. They love it and they try to sing along with it. It's well worth the price. I would recommend it.
on 25 December 2013
A very good CD that is beautifully sung without any American accents which are nice but not for children's classical English nursery rhymes which this is. I bought if for a new grandchild and like it so much will get another to keep at our house.
on 18 July 2012
I didn't know this had been issued on CD as I got the video over 10 years ago.With Martin Carthy,Shirley Collins and Isla St Clair among the singers this is the nursery rhyme as what is really is-folk music
on 4 December 2015
Almost everything is the same as Longman Group's original "Classic Nursery Rhymes" video in this soundtrack except "Taffy was a Welshman" which has been removed possibly to discourage children from theft and the end title theme has been cut down. The songs are presented in 13 chapters as they were in the video. Longer pauses between a few songs would've been good and at the beginning of each chapter I heard a little rip like that of a vinyl record.

It's very good that they've kept it all original (except for the finale) and a lovely update on the classic front cover but there are some imperfections.
on 17 October 2014
This was one of my favourite videos as a child and when I discovered I could share it with my 21 month old son I was beyond excited. The graphics are pretty poor in comparison to the tv he watches but my son instantly fell in love with it and we sat together and watched the entire thing. It's so innocently charming! As an early years teacher i value the importance of nursery rhymes and this video is the reason why today I can sing so many! I hope my son can soon do the same!
on 27 July 2015
Love this CD - it's permanently in my car for when I have my Grand-daughter. She's not quite 2 but asks for this on when we go anywhere. I sing along, and she is starting to too! One or two are a bit odd, and slightly scary - but that's what a lot of these tunes are, about historical social occasions. A bit like old Fairy Tales - some are quite dark. But we love them!
on 12 March 2016
This CD has the songs that were on a VHS video for children that I saw many years ago so when I saw the CD I purchased it. There are some gems on the CD and there are some songs and rhymes that are not. Children from 3 years on will like it, I think. All in all pretty good...a 7 out of 10, mainly because of the input from Martin Carthy.
on 17 January 2014
I bought this for my cousins child. It's Nursery Rhymes, but they don't sound childish. If you want your child to really appreciate music, then this is certainly a good start.