5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST nursery rhyme record ever
Published on 26 Mar 2011 by Yi-Peng

3.0 out of 5 stars Nursery Rhyme CD
Received the product in good time. However, have only been able to play it on my Laptop and not on my Hi-Fi for some reason!!
Published on 17 Mar 2012 by Mr. Victor Wyer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST nursery rhyme record ever, 26 Mar 2011
Yi-Peng (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Classic Nursery Rhymes Collection CD (Audio CD)
I'm very pleased that John Du Prez (the composer of Monty Python) has released the soundtrack of the Longman Nursery Rhymes video as a CD. I have the cassette of this, issued as 70 Golden Nursery Rhymes, so you can imagine how happy I was that John Du Prez released the music from that video as a CD through his production company. Not many people know that he served as musical director for that marvellous video, with superb voices singing and reciting the rhymes, accompanied by a pop-up book presentation. All the well-known rhymes are included, plus a few others that aren't so well known, and the presentation of the rhymes is tasteful and varied. There are almost 70 rhymes on this recording, and each rhyme doesn't overstay its welcome like some other nursery rhyme records. The presentation shifts from sung rhymes to speech, and mixes the voices of grown-ups and children. The musical arrangements are first class, ranging from unaccompanied rhymes to simple piano accompaniment, from Baroque ensemble to folk hoe-down.

There are a few differences between this CD and the original tape I had. The original tape didn't include the theme music that introduced each set of rhymes. Also, this CD, for some unexplained reason, omits one rhyme, Taffy was a Welshman, recited just before Sing a Song of Sixpence. I can understand that Mr. Du Prez may have decided to cut the rhyme because it condoned stealing and theft, but it may have been an inadvertent cut when they were putting this CD together. I've e-mailed Ocean Music and hopefully they will gladly get back to me on this matter.

I understand that Ocean Music is waiting to reissue this nursery rhymes video on DVD soon, and I think it's a great thing that the children of the future can enjoy this well-put together collection.

This is arguably the BEST nursery rhyme record ever and deserves to be in print forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic but not old-fashioned, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Classic Nursery Rhymes Collection CD (Audio CD)
I played this CD before passing it on for my grandson, and was very pleasantly surprised how nice it was to listen to. The selection of songs is wide and includes many that I know but would not have thought of. The mixture of children's and adults' voices comes over very well, especially as the adults do not have trained singing voices. The songs are sung simply but with humour, altogether very enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Agood keepsake, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Classic Nursery Rhymes Collection CD (Audio CD)
I bought this CD for my Grandchildren, ages 3 and 4 years. They love it and they try to sing along with it. It's well worth the price. I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Began as a video, 18 July 2012
This review is from: The Classic Nursery Rhymes Collection CD (Audio CD)
I didn't know this had been issued on CD as I got the video over 10 years ago.With Martin Carthy,Shirley Collins and Isla St Clair among the singers this is the nursery rhyme as what is really is-folk music

3.0 out of 5 stars Nursery Rhyme CD, 17 Mar 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully sung, 25 Dec 2013
G. MANCHESTER (London, England ...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Classic Nursery Rhymes Collection CD (Audio CD)
A very good CD that is beautifully sung without any American accents which are nice but not for children's classical English nursery rhymes which this is. I bought if for a new grandchild and like it so much will get another to keep at our house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
This review is from: The Classic Nursery Rhymes Collection CD (Audio CD)
This helps me remember all the old nursery rhymes and teachs me new ones

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for little ones, 12 May 2014
This review is from: The Classic Nursery Rhymes Collection CD (Audio CD)
Could do with a little longer pause between songs otherwise excellent for our 2 year old grand daughter Saphyia thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of traditional rhymes., 8 April 2014
C. P. Davis (Isle of Wight) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Classic Nursery Rhymes Collection CD (Audio CD)
Wonderful versions of old nursery rhymes.
Essential for pre-school toddlers!
Best collection I've come across.
Need I say more ....

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase, 8 April 2014
This review is from: The Classic Nursery Rhymes Collection CD (Audio CD)
This CD has been played over & over again for the last 2 years since I have been looking after my grandchildren. Every time we get in the car it requested! An excellent purchase with beautifully sung nursery rhymes that the children sing along with.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Classic Nursery Rhymes Collection CD
The Classic Nursery Rhymes Collection CD by Martin Carthy (Audio CD)