5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome To My World
I was sucked into Welcome To My World immediately as the full extent of Harri's problems isn't immediately told to us. All we know from the first paragraph is that Harri is not the type of person to lock herself in a toilet, yet that is where she finds herself. We then travel back to the fateful day that sets the night in question in motion and from then on, at the...
Published on 3 Dec. 2010 by Leah Graham

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special- good for a cheap read though
I'll be honest, I didn't love this author's first book and I only bought this because it was ridiculously cheap at the time. I am a massive fan of this genre, so I knew what to expect when I started this, and I like to think I'm not overly picky when it comes to this genre- but I did find this a bit dull and overly predicable. I can't really put my finger on what it was...
Published on 14 Oct. 2011 by A.B.

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 8 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 29 Jun. 2011
sonia418 (essex england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welcome to My World (Paperback)
This book was what I describe as easy to read but very enjoyable. A little predictable but I wanted to keep reading to find out where it all ended. Good stuff!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable!, 24 Feb. 2011
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I never read Miranda Dickinson's debut novel so this second book of hers left me with no expectations. The front cover is a pretty standard affair when it comes to Chick Lit novels and as I had no comparisons I set out to read and hopefully find another great Chick Lit author.

In the beginning of the story we meet Harriet (better known as Harri) who has locked herself in the cubicle of a toilet in the village hall. You as the reader have no clue what has happened to her, and we only get snippets of how she is feeling. You are then transported back to how it all began. Throughout the whole of the book we continually come back to Harri in the cubicle and get given another snippet of the story until finally at the end it is all revealed.

We meet Harri and the people that live in the local area. The story is helped massively by the setting in which Miranda Dickinson has set it. It is painted as the typical local village where everybody knows everyone else's business. This meant that we meet a lot of the people living around the village who are part of Harri's life including her friend Stella, her boss George, her friend Alex's mum Viv amongst others.

We also meet Harri's infamous best friend Alex. Alex spent the best part of ten years travelling and has finally settled back in the village opening his own coffee shop. He and Harri have a great friendship and this shows through with the writing and creates a great pair. I also liked Harri's work colleagues George, Nus and Tom as they added a little bit of humour to the story.

This book was so easy to read it was untrue. The writing is good and I actually really liked the characters and the setting. Having said that there are elements of this that are a little too predictable, but to honest this didn't stop me enjoying it at all! I think to sum this kind of book up is that it is enjoyable, lighthearted and easy to read. I would definately read another Miranda Dickinson and would reccommend this to people that want an enjoyable chick lit book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointing, 3 Jan. 2011
Mrs. M. D. Smithers (SE England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welcome to My World (Paperback)
There were many good reviews for this book, which is why I bought it. But I found it slow to start, slow in the middle, and far too long. Several times I badly wanted Harri to go with her anger, but she never did. She was badly let down on a number of occasions and I was willing her to retaliate ... but it wasn't to be. The ending also wasn't strong enough for me. It seem to fizzle out.

Pity, because the structure of the story was very good. Sitting in the loo, looking back over events, was an unusual setting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 28 April 2012
This review is from: Welcome to My World (Paperback)
Not a bad little book, but nothing special. I found the heroine annoying, which didn't help. Passed the time reading it on the bus.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Welcome to My World (Kindle Edition)
Great book took a while to get into it but once I did I could put it down!! Definitely worth a read

4.0 out of 5 stars welcome to my world, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Welcome to My World (Paperback)
Have not had a chance to finish reading the book but what I have read so far I have enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to a really good book, 11 Feb. 2011
Sunglasses - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved the style and feel of this book from start to finish. The text grips with immediate effect as a catastrophic event befall the heroine of the story, Harri. There is a really good structure from thereon in, with each chapter starting with reference to back to the `event'. Essentially Harri is an ordinary girl with dreams but plodding along in a very ordinary life without the opportunity to realise those dreams; the plight of many. Harri is a travel agent who has never even got an aeroplane before, or left the UK. Her dream is to travel to Venice with her true love and you just will her on to succeed. The ending left me wondering if there will be a sequel - I would love to know what happens next to Harri! A really great read and highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 Mar. 2011
M. O. HAYNES "couch magpie" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After just finishing a very witty book by Annabel Giles, I found this book somewhat lacking in comparison. The storyline seemed slow, and felt dragged out. I didn't relate to the main character, feeling she was a bit of a wet weekend, and feeling frustrated that she hadn't been on holiday further than the UK, given she works in a travel agent. I enjoyed the character of her best friend Alex more as he seemed to have lived a little and had more depth. Unfortunately I had guessed the final "twist" by about the middle of the book, but carried on to see if I was right. No surprises! The start of each chapter was original, which unfortunately is the only positive thing about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Welcome to My World (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. I am a big fan of Miranda Dickinson.

2.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of A Trillian Books, 14 Nov. 2010
Amazon Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Welcome to My World (Paperback)
The story of Welcome to my World follows the events that lead to Harriet having locked herself in a toilet cubicle, which is where we find her at the start of the book. Each chapter starts with a little more to add to this present part of the story, while the rest of the chapter carries on with the past goings on. Harri is a travel agent in a small town, who's never travelled out of the country - she has a variety of excuses for not having done so: not wanting to go alone, her boyfriend Rob preferring to holiday in the UK and so on. Harri's best guy friend, Alex, has more than made up for this, having travelled all over the world before returning to the town to open up a coffee shop. A large aspect of the story is about Harri trying to help Alex find his ideal girlfriend by placing an ad in a magazine.

While the book is well written, I found it dull. Most of the time it seemed like nothing was happening, or at least nothing very exciting. There was lots of random things described throughout that as far as I could see weren't all that relevent to the plot. When it came to plot points, I felt they were all very predictable and I would have liked an element of surprise. There was lots of character development going on to the degree that I felt like I knew way too much about even the minor characters - and there were a lot of them. Despite this though, I didn't find myself warming to any of them particularly. Harri annoyed me a little because she was kind of pathetic - which was probably the point but I prefer a character I can relate to and like rather than wanting to yell "for gods sake, just get a grip."

Although this book wasn't really for me, I think that others will probably like it and it made for easy light reading. If you're like action and a strong female lead you should probably look elsewhere.

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 8 | Next ›