5.0 out of 5 stars A great book
Published on 26 Feb. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars The Negotiator
First off, I TOTALLY missed the tag in Amazon that said this was Christian Fiction as I usually don't find these appealing and I'm afraid this one did nothing to change my opinion of the genre.

Published 22 months ago by Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 26 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
I loved the beginning of this book because of the tension inside the bank. Not many couples can say they met during a bank seige! Kate O'Malley has nerves of steel.She has to have due to her occupation as hostage negotiator. This book is a brilliant combination of suspense and romance, portraying also the loyalty and devotion of Kate's 'family'. The ingredient which for me made it extra special was the way Dee Henderson puts across the message of salvation. Don't worry people, it is not an 'in ya face' preachy sermon type of book. It is just perfectly blended in to make it a TOP book. Can't wait to read the next one in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars UN-PUT-DOWNABLE!, 18 Nov. 2003
Miss Jackie Smyth (Coleraine, Londonderry United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
So refreshing to find a gripping novel by a Christian writer which not only has merit for it's own plot and content, but also because it portrays issues that people face at some point in their lives when they have to think about where they are with God. Ok - maybe not so dramatic as hostage situations or being stalked by a killer, but what about illness and family crisis - those issues everyone can relate to. The love angle is very well done also, and for the hopeless romantics among you - this is a winner. Can't wait to read the rest of the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great thriller and start to the O'Malley series!, 12 Jan. 2007
The first book in the O'Malley series, following a family of siblings who met and adopted each other in orphanage and have extraordinary, but plausible, jobs. This story focuses on Kate O'Malley a hostage negotiator who meets an FBI agent, becomes a target and gets rapped up in a plane being blown up, though not all in the same day. A very good thriller with an edge of romance and the Christian / spiritual elements are extremely natural and well dealt with. Very good book and an excellent series. Only complaint is that everyone is so well off. Are all American Christians really rich?

3.0 out of 5 stars The Negotiator, 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Negotiator: 1 (O'Malley) (Kindle Edition)

The story is based on Kate, a negotiator who is very good at her job, and a threat that appears and takes on a whole new angle. The hero in this is Dave (!) who is British and of course, has to be rich, lives in a mansion and owns his own private jet - as all of us British people do - obviously!!

The romance and suspense take this story along nicely and I do like the rest of the O'Malley family (although I couldn't help thinking about O'Malley the Alley Cat from the Aristocats every time I read it!). There is a hint of an abused childhood as you know that Kate lived in an orphanage from the age of 9 even though her parents were still living but you don't find out any of the details.

Unfortunately, I missed half of the book as I was skipping through the religious parts. It started off ok but then at page 50 it all started to be brought in. Dave tells his sister that "She's not a believer, Sara," and "those words left a deep void inside; he felt like a prize of great value had been snatched away." So you now know that she's not even worth considering as a partner unless she believes. "Those ideas had be stillborn with the discovery that she was not a Christian". He then goes on to talk about Friendship Evangelism and how he wants to be able to "make her listen, make her believe". WHAT? I seem to remember something about freedom of will but hey, I guess that doesn't matter if you're not a Christian!

The rest of the book is either him preaching at her, her sister Jennifer preaching at her (because she has cancer with a high death rate and therefore is worried about Kate's soul and needs to convert her before she dies) or Dave praying to god. At one point Kate even says that "You're trying to change me" but seems ok with that. And then someone else reassures Dave that "she'll believe, she has to".

Take away all of the religious talk and preaching, and Dave's angst about her not being a Christian, and this would be quite a good Romance/Suspense book. However, as it is, I've made myself finish it, I didn't enjoy it and I definitely won't be reading any more books in the series even though I loved the O'Malley family. I'm giving it three stars based upon the Romance/Suspense part of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful series to read, 11 July 2010
F. Carr - See all my reviews
Bought this first book in the O'Malley series with some trepidation. Feared it would be too 'religious'. Great story, had me hooked by the end of the first chapter and I ordered all the others in the series.

Wasn't disappointed with any of them. Each told a gripping tale and the characters were finely drawn and the plotlines incredibly detailed and well crafted. The writer sucked you into this family dynamic and made you want to read the entire series without a pause. One of those books you want to finish but don't want to have it end.

Thoroughly pleasurable read.

1.0 out of 5 stars A good book ruined by religion, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Negotiator: 1 (O'Malley) (Kindle Edition)
This was a very readable book, with interesting characters. Unfortunately it was interspersed with very preachy religious passages, spoiling the flow and tone of the book. It was only the interesting story line that kept me reading, otherwise I would have deleted it from my Kindle without finishing it. I have no problem with religion per se, and don't mind reading books that develop religious themes. What I do mind is the feeling that the book is trying to convert me to religion, much as Dave spends the book trying to do with Kate. I am a true believer in everybody being allowed to form their own opinions on all topics, including religion. What sort of Christian won't accept a person for who they are and what they believe, as Dave doesn't seem prepared to do with Kate? If he truly loved her, wouldn't that be enough? I have always thought of Christianity, and in fact all religions, as accepting and forgiving. If there is a God, then wouldn't that God be just enough to know that as long as people live their lives by good moral values, whether they believe or not would not matter. This book should be clearly labelled as Evangelical Christian romantic thriller.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but..., 7 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Negotiator: 1 (O'Malley) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the premise of this book and found the characters well written and largely believable. But... I found the Christian bit very overpowering and in your face and ended up skipping over pages of story that dealt with theological debates of why Kate should believe in God. Far too heavy handed, despite Christianity supposedly being forgiving and accepting Dave could only have an 'evangelical friendship' with Kate, in that he wanted to convert her and couldn't possibly have a relationship with someone who didn't believe!! Really?!! One reviewer states it's not an 'in your face preachy kind of book' - it is!!

Having said that, I liked the O'Malley's as a family (not keen when Kate then decides she needs to convert all of them!!) and enjoyed the suspense. The romance was very underplayed, as in they barely touched through the whole book, which could have been better but I would consider reading the rest of the series if they were free like this one was. I'm unlikely to buy them though.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Read, 14 Nov. 2013
Mrs B (North West England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Negotiator: 1 (O'Malley) (Kindle Edition)
I actually read this book for the first time about eight years ago, but since I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was about, I snapped it up when it was on offer on Kindle. I knew I enjoyed it the first time around, but I couldn't remember the plot.

The Negotiator is an engaging, romantic, suspenseful read. Thankfully, Kate and Dave didn't fall in love at first sight. Instead they had this unusual 'rapport at first sight.' I enjoyed their banter and the dynamics of their relationship. The book focuses a lot on God's character, which I really enjoyed. It was great to delve into Kate's questions alongside her, and it was a good reminder of God's sovereignty and how we don't always understand why He allows certain things to happen.

Kate's journey was realistic. As for Kate's personality, she was a bit too fiercely independent at first (in my opinion) but I liked that she could lean on her 'brothers'. Nobody is completely self-sufficient, we all need somebody. I liked the slight vulnerability that she showed towards the end of the book. I liked that Dave loved her but didn't compromise his beliefs. As for Dave being British, I was glad there was a British character at first, but as the book went on he didn't really seem all that British and his being British didn't really add anything to the story. Maybe his British accent was something of a novelty for Kate and was part of his appeal. (EDIT: I have just read Danger in the Shadows, which precedes this book and it explains Dave's British accent. His father was the US Ambassador to England so they're American but have lived in England. Now it all makes sense!!).

The conclusion of the book was satisfying. I worked out who the bad guy was before he was revealed to be the bad guy, but rather than this spoiling it for me, I was relieved that it wasn't 'someone else' (trying desperately not to give any spoilers away here!!).

The O'Malleys are a lovable bunch. I kind of wish I had three brothers and three sisters now. Thank you Dee Henderson for writing such an enjoyable faith book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Plot lost in morass of religious angst, 17 Sept. 2014
Annie W "bookworm" (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Negotiator: 1 (O'Malley) (Kindle Edition)
Except for the missing word in the opening sentence, the plot of this novel began well. As a negotiator, our heroine was extremely interesting, and then the guy from the FBI turned up, and while I was prepared for the romance to come, I certainly wasn't expecting a whole series of digressions into the depths of American Christianity, where, it appeared, our hero could never marry a woman who wasn't as deeply committed a believer as himself and his family. There was heavy questioning, soul-searching, and a miraculous switching on of 'Belief' before the end, all of which made this an overly-long book, and interrupted the flow of the mystery to an unacceptable level.

The author may well be writing primarily for readers who already share her beliefs, in which case I have no doubt they loved every minute of every argument within the book, but if she's proselytising, she might consider that this can be done much more effectively without ramming the subject down the reader's throat every few pages. The impression she left with me was one of a rabid, almost fanatical, intolerant, exclusive religion, out to convert the otherwise-damned unbelieving world, and that far outweighed the potentially exceptional writing and mystery plotline.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thrills and spills, 30 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Negotiator: 1 (O'Malley) (Kindle Edition)
The feisty Kate O'Malley survives as hostage negotiator during a bank siege but as a twist she also meets the FBI man who is going to become the centre of her life.

While I liked the way the novel depicts the love and support of Kate's family, I couldn't like the FBI man for the rather shallow way he becomes disappointed in her when he discovers that she does not live up to his more intense religious beliefs and particularly when he tries to brainwash her through prayer. I am myself a Christian and a believer but when religion becomes coercion, or worse manipulation of conscience, it contradicts its own values.

Conveniently, but perhaps too conveniently, for the ending of the narrative, Kate does ultimately have her moment of divine revelation and epiphany.

However, there is the thrill of jeopardy in this when Kate is made a target and, to boot, the thrill of a plane sabotage.

The Negotiator: 1 (O'Malley)