on 14 May 2012
There's not much that hasn't already been said about this remote control... Except perhaps some detailed technical aspects of its function... So that's what I am going to do.

1. The remote control installs itself as a regular USB keyboard and mouse - so no special infrared drivers are needed. It should work on pretty much any computer, whether PC, Mac, or Linux.

2. I was worried initially that the remote control didn't seem to have a 'menu' key. It does! It's basically the same as the right mouse button.

3. I wondered whether the mouse joystick was able to scroll diagonally as well as up, down and sideways. It does! It can scroll in 8 directions.

4. The 'email' and 'www' buttons are linked to your default email program and web browser, and will open those programs respectively.

5. The coloured A, B, C, & D buttons are the equivalent of what ever you have defined to be Ctrl-Alt-A, Ctrl-Alt-B, Ctrl-Alt-C, & Ctrl-Alt-D. As a matter of fact, it is also performs the actions associated with Ctrl-Alt-1 / 2 / 3 / 4, AND Ctrl-Alt-f1 / f2 / f3 / f4. You can't choose which of these functions to perform... If you press the 'A' button, it will perform a Ctrl-Alt-A, Ctrl-Alt-1, and Ctrl-Alt-f1 all at the same time. That means you could open 3 programs simultaneously, but you can't choose which of those 3 programs to open - they will *all* open. You should take that into consideration when programming your Ctrl-Alt key functions.

6. The 'NumLock' is a toggle button, switching sequentially between lower case and upper case letters, followed by the regular cursor / enter / tab / esc functions.

7. Numbers and some symbols are available, but not many symbols... The comma, full-stop. question-mark?, spacebar , and star* characters are present.

8. The remote also shows the @ # symbols, but since the remote keyboard is a USA mapped one, the symbols which actually appear on your screen are " £. That's what UK keyboards are mapped to, so you shouldn't be surprised. If you switched your keyboard mapping to the US region, no doubt you would get the symbols exactly as shown on the remote.

9. It has all the usual expected media control buttons so you can play, pause, stop, rewind, fast-forward, goto next track, adjust volume, mute, etc...

10. It has desktop manipulation keys, which include fullscreen, show desktop, and toggle window (as in Alt-Tab).

Keys it doesn't have :-
- Function Keys
- Home & End Keys
- Delete Key (it has Backspace in stead)
- Ctrl Key (You can't do any two key combinations)
- Alt Key (Sometimes useful for bringing up menus - It's not present here though)
- Scroll Lock / Pause / Insert / Func Keys - All NOT present.
- No other symbols, other than the ones mentioned above.

The very brief instructions are on the piece of card at the back of the packaging, and are in Chinglish - so very poor translation, but still just about understandable. The overall quality of the remote is 'average' - All of the buttons work, but it has cheap plasticky feel about it. The remote actually flexes and bows a bit when you press the buttons!! Nevertheless, I regard it as still good value for money considering that you're getting a fully functional (and useful) product for about £5. I'll be using it while travelling to control the media player functions on my laptop while snuggled up in bed.
review image review image
77 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 May 2013
Bought this for use with a Raspberry Pi running XBMC Media Centre, just plugged it in and it worked no configuration!
44 comments|15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 July 2012
For the price, this is a great little remote; albeit the mouse control is too fiddly to be of real use. It works really well with XBMC on my laptop.

Anyway, the point of this review was to share my findings with other Harmony users - after much experimentation I found the I could get all the basic commands on my Logitech Harmony 300 by using manufacturer 'Chinavasion' and model 'CVSN-983'. Once synchronized, I have been able to map some of the other buttons.
on 4 February 2013
I bought this to use with my Raspberry PI running XBMC. Plugged it in and switched it on and it worked straight away. Works really well for controlling films etc.. Having read some of the reviews i was a bit concerned how well the mouse control bit would work but it works really well, not too fast or too slow.
on 23 January 2013
This arrived recently and I am really impressed with it. The mouse feature is a little clunky (i can only seem to do up / down , left /right, not diagonal) to use but providing your not too fussed about that its great!

I bought it for my Raspberry Pi+XBMC set up. What really impressed me is that i plugged it in and it just worked, no scouring for drivers no really dodgy keys, it just works :-). This for me was key, even certain mouse's i have plugged in have not worked first time/at all. This just worked, it should really consider adding "Raspberry Pi, XBMC" to its list of compatible devices.

I bought it for those times when my phone is to far away or being a bit "off" like when it drops the ip etc.

Sadly its designed for windows so some keys are non existent or might need figuring out, but for the main features:
-left,
-rewind,
-fast forward,
-skip next,
-skip back
are all in the right place and work out of the box :-) and I am sure I could map some of the others if I wanted to.

It has a classic mobile phone texting feature as well to act as a keyboard but I didn't find that particularly nice to use.

The other negative is that as it is I.R, you sometimes press something, assume its not picked it up and press it a few more times...only to discover XBMC was just processing that, has now queued up a bunch of enter keys and will now proceed to do them all.

I considered dropping it a star for:
-having a slightly clunky mouse
-not having a "right click" / alt menu that you can use via the remote without getting the mouse to hover of the selection
-not having a light for num lock (its how you go to text enter mode, and sometimes its hard to tell)

However i couldn't because it covers all my main uses flawlessly, its only a fiver and it has improved my xbmc experience no end. No more resorting to grabbing a usb mouse and plugging it in when my phone is dead/being rubbish!
on 14 July 2012
The basic functionality of media playback like play/pause, rewind & fast-forward works with this remote and XBMC media player. The remote has a 'mouse' and 'mouse button' as well as page-down and page-up keys so you are able to navigate to the media you want on XMBC from the comfort of your settee!

This remote also has a handy feature that the USB IR receiver has an extended cord which allows you to position the IR receiver in a position that allows you to use it properly. This is handy for me as my PC is beside my TV but the path from where I sit and my PC is blocked by my desk chair. With the extension cord, I moved the IR receiver to a position that allows it to work without having to move every-time I want to use the remote!

As to other reviewers comments about build quality. It is not great but it's isn't that bad. For the price, you can't really complain.

All in all, a great product for those who use their PC/Latop as a media player.
on 5 March 2013
Bought this to use only the receiver with a Harmony 300 remote, programmed it using Chinavision CVSB-983 as the original model and works flawlessly, strangely if you try to "teach" the Harmony using the original remote the receiver doesn't recognise the commands.

The remote is tiny, like a fat 1.5x sized credit card and probably easy to lose, it's hard to use while not looking at since all the keys are laid out calculator fashion. The remote has a plastic slot tray at the bottom for the battery that you push the edge of to left and pull out. It uses CR2032 3V lithium batteries which you can get ten on Amazon for a pound, CR-2016's are too thin to make contact.

I gave it five stars since it's probably the cheapest way of getting Harmony control of a PC/XBMC despite the flaws in the remote control.
on 25 January 2011
I bought this remote wanting a simple little remote to control XBMC on my media centre PC.

It works very well, emulating a USB keyboard and mouse, so there are no drivers and it works just fine in both Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux, and no doubt just about any other OS.

The only drawback for me is that I suspect it's using IrDA or some other awkward IR protocol - so far, I haven't been able to get my Harmony remote to emulate it, even though the harmony does seem to be able to recognise the signals being sent.

A nice, small size for the remote too - not much larger than a credit card in area, though obviously quite a bit thicker.
on 15 April 2011
Simply put, Brilliant!!!
Works straight out of the box, excellent for power point presentations, showing dvd's on projector etc. Remote control will even let you open documents, type, save, pretty much anything you can use a mouse for, it'll do. Have paid twice as much before for 'page turners' only; this device is excellent value for money.
I'm impressed! (In case you hadn't noticed....)
on 8 June 2015
If you're looking for a remote for a Raspberry Pi running the XBMC media centre then this is the product for you. I have two Pi's - a B+ running OSMC, and a Pi 2 (the 1GB version) running RaspBMC. This remote works perfectly with both of them, so much so that at just under £6 inc postage I may buy another.

It's worth pointing out that if your Pi is slightly inaccessible, the dongle in the photo is fully retracted - it actually extends to over 30cm in length so no problem placing it in full view of the remote. It worked perfectly, straight out of the box (or sealed plastic bag actually). I just plugged it into the Pi's USB socket and started pressing buttons. No configuration or restart needed. It even doesn't object to an existing mouse and keyboard being plugged in as well. I have yet to investigate all of the buttons, but for simple navigation of the Pi's menu it's easy and obvious. ESC is the "back" button, while Pause/Play, Stop, FF and Rewind are exactly where you expect them to be.

EDIT: I have indeed now bought a second one, which works just as well as the first. I have also discovered the big blue "Mouse" button which allows you to move a mouse pointer around the screen. Alighting on a file then allows you to press the "R" button to invoke the Mouse menu (in the case of OSMC or XBMC this gives you the old "Add to queue" function).

EDIT2: Due to my son getting his own RPi and stealing one of my Remotes, I have bought a third one, and since it is now September (and I bought my first one in June) I can comment on battery life. I have just changed the battery on my first remote, so 3 months isn't bad going. If you're interested, symptoms of battery running down are reduction in the range of the remote.

Still Excellent!