Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

VINE VOICEon 17 December 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I like this book. It is very honest about what you should expect and is simple to read. However, in its honesty, it is also reassuring. It tells you things you may not otherwise be told even by the doctor or midwife and also gives statistics as well as comfort that not everyone experiences certain things. All the same, the prospect of possibly experiencing all the symptoms is rather daunting!

The book is interspersed with the observations of a number of women who have had different experiences, so you are not just getting the views of the author. It is very thoroughly researched and definitely worth buying.

Here's a list of the contents with some of my own summaries of what the chapters include:
1. You're pregnant! What now? - a general overview of what to expect and what tests are available.
2. Sick and tired: the joys of pregnancy
3. Womb with a view: your baby's growth
4. Care instructions: eating, drinking, and other potentially 'dangerous' activities - drugs, alcohol, exercise.
5. Office politics: pregnancy and your career - maternity leave, legal rights and waht to do with difficult bosses.
6. Hit and missionary: your love life during pregnancy
7. Delivery schedule: making plans for your baby's arrival - where are you going to have it and how?
8. Ready for take-off: preparing for your baby's birth - shopping, packing and the baby's position.
9. Labour day(s): what happens when you give birth - step by step including 'how much it hurts' and the time when you are in hospital.
10. Birth stories: six Modern Girls recall their labour day
11. Hey, baby: the first few weeks with your newborn
VINE VOICEon 2 December 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a great book for 1st time mums loads of sensible advice with a big hint of realism without being too off putting. I've got 2 kids and would have loved this book if only for giving me the go ahead to eat cooked blue cheese!!
There are no pictures or diagrams just sound bites from other Mums, a great questions with answers for the Modern Girl. There's not a hint of patronising advice here just the kind you'd get from your best friend - highly recommend it!
VINE VOICEon 12 December 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is Peter's pregnant wife writing this review. I got hold of this book quite early on in my pregnancy and found it to be quite the god-send. Funny and honest, the book gives you a quick over-view through pregnancy without the medical jargon. As this is my first pregnancy, I was naturally buzzing with millions of questions - one of my favourite things about this book is the quotes from other women telling us how it was for them and for each stage and symptom. I cannot tell you how many times I read and re-read the bits about morning sickness, acid reflux, 'baby brain' and other such pregnancy delights that one can only experience to truly understand. And to read about how other people dealt with it is particularly helpful. Us girlies always like a chin-wag and this book is like having all your pregnant mates around to discuss bumps. As still being in the middle of the pregnancy, there are somethings I haven't experienced yet i.e the biggie (labour), but the information in there is good to know.
Occasionally, after throwing up for the upteempth time you sometimes wish there was a big more about the why and what to do about morning sickness but that is more borne out of the frustration of having seen the toilet bowl one too many times. All in all a different book to what is out there on the pregnancy shelf.
on 17 May 2016
I love this book! I started reading 'What to Expect' and it terrified me! Far too much information and completely overwhelmed me! This book is like your best friend giving you advice and is very reassuring. I try to avoid Dr.Google if I can and this book has helped me to achieve that as its packed full of information. I would highly recommend this book for any first time mum who is completely lost and overwhelmed by all the fun, worries and symptoms pregnancy brings.
on 30 January 2016
I found this book SO helpful during my pregnancy. It's really upfront, honest and will make you laugh and cry all in the same chapter! It gives very practical advice on things like your options for pain relief during labour, what to pack in your hospital bag and what to expect from your emotions before/during and after pregnancy/labour and birth! It also gives other mums accounts of their journeys so you can see that not every pregnancy is the same!! I've passed my copy along to a friend who has fallen pregnant with her first - I would definitely recommend it!
on 25 August 2014
Fantastic read full of excellent facts and written in a charismatic and friendly manner. This is not a 'preachy' book which is so common (and tiresome) to come across in pregnancy books. I really enjoyed it.
VINE VOICEon 23 November 2009
As a prospective mum to be, I decided to add this book to my growing collection of books on pregnancy.

I enjoyed this one as its frank and to the point. It answers a lot of my questions and I think it will be useful to refer to. The author, Hollie Smith pretty much covers everything you need to/will need to know and tells it how it is. She has also put in quotes from other women and their experiences. There is also a list of useful contacts at the back. I also found that it was easier to read and less likely to cause me anxiety than some of the other books I have read.

I would definitely recommend it.
on 13 September 2011
I was really looking forward to getting my hands on this book - I found the cover very appealing, and the title piqued my curiosity. Sadly, the cover and the title turned out to be the two best things about it. Sure, there's useful information here, but you can find that in other pregnancy books as well. I honestly don't see what's so "modern" about this book. I found the choice to use handwriting (or print akin to handwriting) for all the quotes rather annoying. It was hard on the eyes and made me want to skip reading the quotes. I also think the book would have benefited from some photographs and illustrations.
on 28 September 2010
I prefer the perspective that pregnancy can be a lovely time and so much can go RIGHT during pregnancy and birth, but maybe that's just me! That aside it is a very readable primer on pregnancy that doesn't make you feel like you are doing homework.

Positives: it tackles some brave topics, such as the short but reassuring section for those who accidentally drank during pregnancy. A huge stressor for a lot of women, I think it was dealt with pretty well. A favourite bit is the section on birthing options which though not hugely detailed is quite comprehensive. I enjoyed that home births (though I am not brave enough for that!), water births etc were explained a bit, not just hospital-based experiences.

Some negatives: I personally would have prefered more consistent info in parts. While the author was the first person to ever tell me that epidurals make it more likely that forceps or ventouse will be required, when it came to caesarians she said nothing about risks/benefits to baby which is a big thing for most of us when considering the (often confusing) advice and options we've been given.

I agree with others that the breastfeeding section is negative; rather than brace women for its potential challenges she sounds like she's trying to put everyone off. Aside from a glib "it might help you loose weight in theory" comment it totally skips any info on the effect on mum's body like helping the uterous shrink back or how it requires more extra calories than pregnancy.
on 26 October 2012
I actually read this when my daughter was 22 months old! But I liked it, there was a lot of things I could relate to and I think it is useful for expectant mum's to read. Some parts were a little boring and I remember thinking as I read through that some important information that I had gained was omitted. I think mainly on problems breastfeeding (I had a lot of problems in this area) e.g. milk did not 'come in' for 6 weeks and this is not particularly unusual as the midwife at the breastfeeding group told me this and said that it will get better at about 6 weeks. I also met others that were in the same boat. But its definitely worth a read.