5.0 out of 5 stars Truly excellent - An essential and easy read for dads-to-be!
There are hundreds, possibly thousands, of books aimed at women to guide them through pregnancy, but very few books aimed at the fathers. This book aims to redress the balance a little, by providing a guide for daddys-to-be that will help them to understand how their child is developing, and how to support and help their partner along the way.

The book has an...
Published on 6 April 2010 by Miss

3.0 out of 5 stars Lads mag tone puts me off... Needs a Fry re-write!
Published on 16 Sept. 2010 by Sebastian Palmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly excellent - An essential and easy read for dads-to-be!, 6 April 2010
Miss "crazyminx" (Coventry) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The book has an incredibly easy to read, personal style that drew me in instantly and made me want to keep reading. I never knew a book like this could be such a page turner, and that is almost entirely down to the excellent style. It is very funny and had me laughing out loud often. As a woman, I was a little worried that the book might turn out to be one that made fun of women and their hormonal changes etc., but I was pleasantly surprised to find that women are treated with nothing but total respect in this book and the emphasis is very much on how the fathers should be taking care of the ladies during this time.

I found that this book really does cover everything you would want to know. It deals surprisingly sensitively with the worries and possibilities of miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies during the early months and tells you the signs to look out for in your partner and how to respond to them. It describes all the changes a woman's body will go through, from morning sickness to heartburn, and suggests ways to help and to be sensitive to them. It lists things that are safe to do and eat in pregnancy, things you will need to buy, decisions you will need to make about the birth itself, and even takes you right up to labour, encouraging overdue babies to arrive, and holding your little arrival.

The book is also laid out in a helpful month-by-month way and at the end of every chapter is a round-up of how your baby will have developed during the past weeks, and how your partner will be feeling/changing/coping. There is also a list of things to do at the end of each chapter, which range from the practical (don't let your partner do heavy lifting or change cat's litter trays, put a nighlight up on the path to the bathroom), to the forward-thinking (book into the best antenatal classes ahead of time), to the sweet and thoughtful (arrange a pregnancy-safe massage or pedicure for her).

I can't recommend this book enough. It is a fantastic starting point for any guy who is planning to be a good partner and dad before, during and after the pregnancy process, and it is informative and useful without ever being dry or boring. If you're a guy, buy it for yourself, and if you're a woman hoping to conceive, buy it for your partner - he'll be able to understand you so much better, and I wouldn't be surprised if this actually saves a few relationships!

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, funny and extremely easy to read, 11 May 2010
Ms. J. Harris - See all my reviews
This book had me laughing out loud within the first two pages. The chapters are informative, telling me pretty much everything I need to know about pregnancy, with interesting facts thrown in and a lot of humour carefully sprinkled throughout for good measure. It's a very useful guide and cleverly gets all the raw info across without the reader feeling feel like they're wading through a text book. It's quite brilliantly done and is a step away from the other pregnancy books I've read. It certainly shouldn't be kept under wraps by soon-to-be Dads - why let them have all the fun? I would recomend this book to both mums and dad's-to-be who want a genuinely informative, entertaining and engaging guide to the weird and wonderful nine months of pregnancy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant, 22 April 2010
Darren Simons (Middlesex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few months, so we were both really keen for me to read up a bit more on the pregnancy/childbirth process. However, most such books are geared very much to the mother-to-be and to be honest will lose the attention of the father-to-be within a few pages (from friends I see this is a common trait for men so if it applies to you, don't worry).

This book's different though... written by a man for men, with comment and feedback from recent fathers, it's a fairly quick read yet really tells you a vast amount (my wife was quite impressed with what I'd learnt!). Each chapter deals with a different month of the pregnancy and then of course the 9th month deals with the birth itself. There is a good mix of useful ideas, a splattering of science, things to do/not to do, as well as humour and wit (needlessly to say regarding the mother-to-be's breast size!). The fact v humour balance is spot on with proper attention given to medical conditions and complications, yet the wit returning soon after (yup, those breasts again!)

Best of all I thought was the feedback from recent rathers at each stage - they're quite open and really give a good indicatioin of what it feels like from a father's perspective.

I really cannot recommend this book enough for future fathers. Good luck

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 27 May 2010
Tim (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is not your typical pregnancy guide. First, it is directed at men. Secondly, it is extremely funny.

While not all the jokes hit their mark, the majority do, and make the book very easy and enjoyable to read. My wife, who is expecting twins, also enjoyed dipping into sections of it. It is not a detailed, medical text book, but contains various helpful sections on diet, ultrasound scans, miscarriage, etc. within a generally chronological run-through of the different stages of pregnancy.

My only criticism is that, at times, I found the "laddish" style and needless profanities somewhat grating. Jokes about "not firing blanks", for example, might offend readers who have undergone fertility treatment. Despite the laddish moments, the author is, however, very respectful of women and provides lots of practical encouragement to the man on supporting his wife or partner.

Overall, I would highly recommended it for an alternative take on pregnancy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and very informative for dads to be as well as the mum to be as well, 17 Jun. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Interesting book detailing what changes the body go through from the moment of conception to the birth, with a factual monthly guide of what to expect, as well as the various options available to help the birth go as well as possible.
It covers areas such as natural vs assisted births, hormonal changes, and the fascinating way that the womans body adapts throughout the entire process, in preparation for labour.
For the dad it is an essential book as it does help to demystify the entire trimester (the whole 9 months) and offers monthly ideas of things that can be done to assist the mum to be, as well as prepare for the new arrival.
A somewhat riveting read, whether you are actually facing the imminent arrival of a child, or looking into planned parenthood.
it would make a great present for a family member going through this for the first time, as some of the information is, of course superfluous the second time around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for my partner!!, 20 Nov. 2013
I bought this dorky partner, as he was becoming a 1st time dad. He really enjoyed it, plus found it very informative.
It's written from the male perspective, honest and funny!! I even picked it up myself when I had questions about my pregnancy.

My partner often told me facts about my pregnancy that I didn't know, even though this was my 3rd baby!!
The book explains what a pregnant woman may experience, but in a language which men find easier to understand, and as my partner put it, its not boring like a lot of the standard pregnancy books.

My partner ended up reading it twice, as he got through it in the diary few months. He then went over it month by month as our pregnancy moved on.

I will be looking out for a new dad book now!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars How to be a superdad and uber-husband, 19 May 2010
Mr. Murray J. Barnett (London) - See all my reviews
Trying to understand what my wife went through (and is going through again!) was very difficult. Unfortunately this book wasnt out when we had our first baby. This time round I am able to empathise much more and actually look like the caring sharing husband I aspire to be. In fact the author has made me look better than that - i'm able to anticipate my wifes needs and defuse some of my own reactions to her behaviour by understanding better what she is going through.

This book is also written in a way that doesnt feel too 'medical' or patronising. I had a couple of books for our first baby but it felt like going back to school and reading text books rather than something I wanted to absorb and enjoy. The second time round has been a more enriching experience in part because of this book. I would strongly recommend it. Look like a super dad!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lads mag tone puts me off... Needs a Fry re-write!, 16 Sept. 2010
Sebastian Palmer "sebuteo" (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Given the plethora of such titles for women, it's good to have something for the guys, but I have to confess that I prefer to read stuff that assumes I'm a bit more mature. All too often, for my tastes at any rate, this reads like something from a lads mag, and, whilst I did admittedly chuckle on cue, I found myself constantly not feeling the urge to continue reading it, and I got it because I'm hoping to become a father in the near future.

In fact, I never did make it to the end of the book, mostly because of the style of the writing. Don't get me wrong, it's not poorly written, it's just not to my tastes. If you're a 'geezer' who enjoys GQ, Nuts, Esquire, or whatever other men's title you care to think of, this might be just right for you. I guess I wish Stephen Fry had written it, but then he's gay isn't he, so I guess that book's not coming out any time soon.

PS - This book's full of the kind of facts and information prospective fathers probably ought to know about: the content is there, no question. Even so, I couldn't quite bring myself to read it all. Perhaps I'll give it another shot, so to speak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, funny and informative!, 16 April 2010
South Londoner (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a medical professional I was very impressed by this book. It's hilarious and yet manages to convey all the information you need in an accurate, no nonsense way. If you're a man bewildered by the whole process of pregnancy and childbirth and want an insiders guide that does what it says on the tin (with style!) then buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars I preferred this to the women's books, 2 Mar. 2014
This book is brilliant in my humble opinion. I bought it for my husband when we were expecting.

I read it from cover to cover, he didn't want to read it until we passed the first trimester "just in case" and hasn't read it since as we unfortunately lost our little one at 8 1/2 weeks.

I can say that it was informative and a much easier read than the usual pregnancy book. For those that have already read this book, that knows of or could recommend something similar written by a woman, i'd be really greatful.

The book is factual; the author has done his research as well as being a dad too. It's well laid out covering the whole pregnancy from conception to labour. it of course covers everything from a male perspective but this was helpful to read and understand. As a woman, you can get wrapped up in your own little miracle that is the baby and your changing body and may not fully understand the man's point of view or outlook. I found reading this quite reassuring.

Hopefully, very soon, my other half will have cause to read it and I can update the review from his point of view.

Money well spent.