5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest show airing right now
I was hesitant to watch Archer to begin with - spy shows/movies aren't my bag. Eventually though, despairing with the poor quality shows airing right now - I gave it a go, and I'm so glad I did. Archer is without a doubt one of the funniest shows on television today, and it gets better as it goes on.
Published on 26 April 2011 by Sorcha

3.0 out of 5 stars You might like it more than I did
I saw the clips on youtube, got the dvd on the strength of that. It's alright, pacing's a bit off, animation is a bit uninspired. Some good lines, but a bit dull to be honest. I was expecting something more Frisky Dingo or Sealab 2021. Archer is a few smiles and the occasional intelligent nod, but in general the editors on youtube do a better job of cutting this together.
Published 13 months ago by G. Owens

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest show airing right now, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Archer - Season 1 [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly hilarious show, but be wary of the discs themselves!, 16 May 2011
Beedo Sookcool (Torbay, Devonshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Archer - Season 1 [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
Before I cover the show itself, a note about the actual discs: Even though the original product description here said the discs in this set are Region 2 PAL, they are, in fact, Region 2 NTSC. (Odd format, I know. This labelling error has now been corrected.) I discovered this when I popped one of them onto my PS2 to watch, and everything came up monochrome and striated. Confused because I saw an episode in full colour on TV, I checked the packaging, and yep: Region 2 NTSC. When I watched the discs on my XBox, however, everything was in glorious, flawless colour. Still wanting the advertised PAL version, I asked Amazon for a replacement, got a profuse apology and a promise to send out a new PAL set as a replacement . . . and got another NTSC set a couple of days later. So unless I'm extremely unlucky (and in my experience, there's no such thing as luck), it looks like ALL these discs are NTSC, but if you have an XBox or similar set-up that can play Region 0 / Region 2 NTSC discs, you should be okay. Otherwise, expect black-and-white. As for the show . . . .

Adam Reed, who brought us the tedious admin details, uncomfortable interpersonal relationships, and frequent hilarious foul-ups that can plague the day of the average supervillain / superhero in "Frisky Dingo" does the same to the superspy genre in "Archer" to great effect, except with greatly improved animation and cool 1960s Spy Film-style jazzy theme music.

Suave(ish), handsome, and deadly, Sterling Archer is the world's most dangerous spy. It also helps that his alcoholic, man-hungry harpy of a mummy runs the ISIS espionage agency where he works. Because although he's the world's most dangerous spy, he isn't the world's most EFFECTIVE spy. That title is more deserved by the unbearably sexy and competent Agent Lana Kane, who also works for ISIS . . . and is Sterling Archer's embittered ex. Archer himself, if he completes a mission, it's more as a result of sheer coincidence than anything else, because although he's highly trained and dangerous, he's as much a danger to himself and his allies as he is to his enemies. And the rest of the ISIS crew are even worse.

Malory Archer runs the agency, but only when it can fit into her busy schedule of binge-drinking, seducing men, and one-upping her neighbours. Malory's PA, Cheryl (Or is it Carol? Or Cristal? Or Carine? Whatever.) has an unhealthy fixation on Archer, as well as an unhealthy attitude towards love in general. The Head of Human Resources, Pam, takes a deep interest in the staff of ISIS and listens to all their problems, which then become workplace gossip within seconds. Cyril, the nerdy comptroller for ISIS, drives the other characters crazy with his neuroses and interpersonal relationships. Dr. Krieger, the gadget-man, is Just Plain WEIRD. And the guys in the Ops Center are uninterested and distracted at best, downright snarky at worst, which is kind of a drawback when you're in the middle of a firefight and need extraction. Whether they're fighting bad guys, competing agents, or each other, the ISIS crew will get the job done. Eventually. With lots of collateral damage and injuries.

Ten episodes (spread over two discs) filled with high-risk missions, sex, office politics, sex, explosions, weird sex, shocking secrets and awkward moments, the laughs come at you at a fast and furious pace. Bonus features include an unaired promo, deleted scenes, a behind-the-scenes Making Of featurette, and the "Original Unaired Pilot" episode, starring one of the best animated cartoon dinosaurs I have ever seen. (I recommend watching that one last.) While it's true that repeated viewings may lessen the shock value of some of the laughs, you may catch things you missed the first time around. Unless you have an eidetic memory, and give plenty of time between repeated viewings, you should still get very good laugh value from this set.

Espionage. Murder. Sex. Comedy. Stuff blowing up. And a dinosaur. Can it get any better than this? Probably . . . but not by much.

5.0 out of 5 stars archer season 1, 5 Jun 2011
S. J. Irwin "book worm" (hull england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Archer - Season 1 [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
I bought archer season 1 for my son he has never laughed so much If you asked my son he would tell you its the best thing since sliced bread

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!, 30 Oct 2011
Theo (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Archer - Season 1 [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
You know, I don't normally put my review titles in all caps. But what can I say? This show is... well, BRILLIANT! I've always thought that there are far, far too many five star reviews here on amazon. But if there ever was a show that genuinely deserved a rave, this is it.

Archer is a wonderfully absurdist frolic for strictly adult audiences. Fundamentally this show is a giant spoof of 1960s spy thrillers; a spoof made for decidedly 21st century sensibilities. It's the show Get Smart would have been had all the characters been perpetually high on crystal meth.

In fact, the characters on Archer are all selfish, petty, and utterly and completely venal: the three great ingredients from which comedy is made. They seem to think and act more like deranged adolescents than grown-ups. Deranged adolescents with access to firearms. Add all this together and you get some idea of the flavor of the show. Archer is very much in the spirit of the original Williams Street adult swim cartoons, but is never merely derivative of them. Which of course is exactly what you'd expect, given that this show is produced by Adam Reed, whose previous producing and directing credits include both Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo. Indeed, Reed's voice credits go all the way back to the original Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

But while a similar sense of humor can be found throughout, Archer definitely has a flair all of its own. Visually it has kind of a pseudo-realist "ligne claire" (clear line) style that matches perfectly with the creatively anachronistic world the characters inhabit. Cell phones and other contemporary technologies may abound, but jet-age fashions still prevail, and the KGB and the Soviet Union remain major adversaries.

But the first thing long time hard core animation fans will notice is that voice of H. Jon Benjamin brings its own uniquely laconic comic genius to the title role of "Archer" himself. Many of us remember Benjamin best as Coach from Home Movies. Others may recognize his voice from various bit parts in Family Guy and the Venture Bros.. But wherever you know him from, I for one am overjoyed that a suitable vehicle has finally been found for this great talent.

Better yet, Benjamin is complemented by scarcely lesser talents such as Aisha Tyler, a standup comedian who plays Lana Kane, another top operative at the same spy agency; and Jessica Walter, who plays the head of the agency - who also just happens to be Archer's mother. However, I should stress that this rather unusual combination of relationships is never reduced to mere sit-com hijinx. Archer is the kind of show were things get genuinely disturbing. In fact, this is one of those rare shows where the entire cast is incredibly strong - and backed up by an equally strong writing team, too.

What more can I say? See it!

Theo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dumb, loves himself mummy's boy spy. Great fun!, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Archer - Season 1 [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
Didn't think I'd like this show but after watching one episode I was hooked. Really good humour and easy to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars I need you to buy sand., 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Archer - Season 1 [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
Funniest thing animated since the Simpsons. Brilliantly close to the edge. Sometimes crossing the line but it is a comedy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite series of 2010, 20 Dec 2010
This review is from: Archer - Season 1 [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
I watched this by chance on Five one evening, and was hooked. I caught it midway through, and continued to watch the rest of the series. Once it finished, I watched it from the start, realising that I'd missed most of the running gags and jokes, including ones carried over from Arrested Development. It stands up to repeated viewings, as often I had missed small jokes or comments the first time round, 'your own fingers' as an example.

Its amazing. Buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an everyday story of country folk :-), 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: Archer - Season 1 [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
Very funny series, excellently drawn. Great warning about the dangers of privatisation! Now available on Netflix though :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just hilarious - I'm tellinbg everyone I know to watch Archer, 4 July 2014
E. Lewis - See all my reviews
This review is from: Archer - Season 1 [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
Just hilarious - knowing, sexy, very, very funny. I'm telling everyone I know (over 18) about Archer...

5.0 out of 5 stars Sold as advertised., 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Archer - Season 1 [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
It's Archer! He's the absolute shiznit! What's not to love about Archer?
Anyway, it was sold as advertised, arrived in good time, and it great condition. Thank you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Archer - Season 1 [DVD] [NTSC]
Archer - Season 1 [DVD] [NTSC] by H. Jon Benjamin (DVD - 2011)