4.0 out of 5 stars Greta value for money
Published on 5 Jan. 2011 by Quantum

3.0 out of 5 stars Much Cheaper than an Ipod for a Reason!
Published on 2 Sept. 2011 by Elle

4.0 out of 5 stars Greta value for money, 5 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Kubik Roca 4GB 2.8" Touch Screen MP3 & Video Player with Built-in 2.0 MP Camera & YouTube Player (Electronics)
I bought this for Christmas for my teenage son. In an ideal world we would've bought him an ipod touch, but they are so expensive I had a search for something similar and found this. After reading previous reviews I thought I'd take a chance and I - or should I say he - was not disappointed. It does everything he wants. The only negative (which has also been mentioned by a previous reviewer) is the touch screen which can sometimes be a bit unresponsive, but bearing in mind the price paid this is a very small gripe. I highly recommend this product to anyone looking for a cheaper version of the ipod touch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really very decent for the money..., 9 Dec. 2012
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Purchased this as a Christmas gift for my Son who is quickly outgrowing his old budget mp3 player (in both capacity and functionality)
The Kubik comes in quite a nice fold out case, well packaged with a USB charging lead and headphones.

The unit is pretty well put together, whilst not ipod levels of build it feels better than you might expect at this price point. The large display is bright and quite good resolution. Menus are mostly quite sensible and logical, bit of a windows 95 feel to the icons, but I value subtance over "eye candy" for this type of puchase.

Supplied headphones are "ok" for the price, you don't expect super quality Sennheiser for this kind of outlay. Enough to get you going, audio purists will of course prefer to use something better. Testing the unit with good quality headphones surprisingly good sound quality from the Kubik with decent tonal spread and nice bass response too. I also converted some video to the Kubik which played it back nicely without any obvious dropped frames, smootly and quite respectable for video playback.

At 4Gb this is probably enough for most users unless you have tons of videos and music to put transfer. It does have a "mini sd" slot which is probably not the best choice (micro SD would be more sensible) however at least you have a chance to increase the storage and a trip to ebay reveals mini SD cards that might do the job well enough.

Using windows media player 12 the sync function worked well and without problems. It's quite happy with mp3's and WMA files too.
Battery life seems decent enough, though the unit will consume more power using the built in speakers most people will be using headphones, again video playback will shorten the battery life quite a lot v playing mp3's (obviously LCD is active during videos). touchscreen was quite reponsive, not the best but by no means poor at all. Pretty easy unit to operate and use few people will have problems. Just note that switching the unit on requires moving the top power switch to the right "and" just afterwards holding the main button on the front of the unit at the bottom. I assume this is to make sure you don't turn it on by accident..caught me out though first time!

Included are a few games that are ok, you get camera and video recorder too. Don't expect this to replace a good compact for stills or video, but it's a step up over a super budget phone in this respect and a bit of fun for the user. Not great in low light but not too shabby overall either.
I was looking at a few players such as Sony and Samsung, but price wise wanted to "keep it appropriate" and sensible. If you are looking for a "decent" but not wallet denting MP3/video player then the Kubik is quite a good choice and worth looking at.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, battery life and some brilliant features!, 30 Sept. 2011
I ordered the Kubik Roca from Biztekworld as a replacement for the Kubik Edge 2 that I accidently dropped and broke the screen.

Firstly, the delivery and customer service was excellent.

So, what's it like?

The Roca is the slimmer, sexier version of the Edge 2 with I-pod styling. The software is identical to the Edge 2 but the design is certainly a lot friendlier to use. Gone is the issue of not being able to get your fingers into the edge of the touchscreen due to the oversized framing.

What's good?

- Capacity - 4GB is a great size for a good amount of music, video and images. The expansion allows a lot more scope. I have put an 8GB card in mine.

- Navigation - The file system is great with options to view files in different ways. I have always been partial to folder view and find this to be a great feature that many top price players never seem to pull off.

- Video - Converting video clips is nice and simple and the video is very watchable with good sound

- Photos - Again, convert your images to the right size and you have a slideshow in your pocket. No complaints here.

- Calculator - A great feature and better than the calculator in Windows. Really useful.

- Record - Great for recording memos or conversations that you need to refer back to.

- Battery Life - It lasts and lasts with an accurate battery level indicator.

- Equaliser - A smattering of pre-chosen settings and the ability to fine tune.

What's okay?

- FM Radio - As with all players with radio the reception is hit and miss and, of course, you will need to use the headphones to act as an antenna.

- Text - The complete works of Shakespeare is pre-loaded on the player. You can read it easily but it is in no way a replacement or alternative to a Kindle. Good for reading short text documents.

- Clock - The clock keeps time well providing you never let the battery completely die

- Date - Same as above

- Touch Screen - This works fine but you will probably have to get used to it's quirks. You will find you have to press a few times on occasions for a response but you can live with it.

- Customisation of Settings - Plenty of things to adjust such as LCD brightness, auto lock, touchscreen sensitivity and screen timer.

What's not very good?

- Games - The tetris game is unplayable due to poor controls. The slider game is a little better but hardly compelling

- DVR - The camera is quite poor and although it will take a a half decent clip it is not good enough quality to buy the player for this feature. Colours are drained, sound bad and the camera cannot cope with changing or low light conditions

- Camera - As above

- Bundled Headphones - Trust me, always buy your own when purchasing a budget player

- Music Player Visualisation - Not a very inspiring graphic equaliser that does not respond in time with the music.

- Expansion Memory Format - You will need to use a Mini SD card or use an adapter for your Micro SD card (minor issue as these cards are now so cheap)

What I have not tested;

- FLV Player - I did try downloading YouTube videos to play but it did not work for me. This may be my issue and not the players

Overall, this is a great music, video player for the money. It is not a replacement for an I-Pod. I would say that if you intend to buy an Mp3 player that can handle video you will not go wrong with this.

My reason for providing 5 stars is not for all features being the best but for the player living up to my expectation of a good MP3 player with long battery life and a great service from BizTekWorld

3.0 out of 5 stars Much Cheaper than an Ipod for a Reason!, 2 Sept. 2011
The first thing I noticed when I got this out of the postal packaging was a sticker informing me that the instructions mistakenly claim that this product includes a charger - which it does not. I was slightly concerned, but quickly found that a USB lead is included, and you can charge the device via your PC. Also, if you've got a modern phone which charges via a USB adapted plug, you can use that as well.

After charging the device for a few hours, I was ready to start getting to grips with it and getting some files on there. I've bought this for my son's sixth birthday (he's a technology whiz, I'd recommend this for 7yrs+ for the average child) so I wanted to make sure everything was working right away and get all his favourite bits loaded before the big day.

To connect it to my computer, I just plugged it in after I had switched it on. I quickly discovered that I could only switch it on and off when not connected to the PC, though this is not stated in the instruction manual. This device is touch-screen, and includes a tiny built-in stylus too. I found it really difficult to get the stylus out to begin with, and was slightly concerned about breaking it if I continued to try to force it too much! Eventually, I managed to drag it out with my nail though, and after getting it out a couple of times, I found it loosened up a bit.

To load photos and music files onto the device, I just dragged and dropped them from my PC files to the Roca file which had appeared on connection. This was easily done, and all of my photos were viewable after disconnecting from the PC, and all of my music files were playable too. I found the volume was plenty loud enough to be played without requiring an external speaker in a bedroom environment, though the product does include headphones for when you're out and about, or in a noisier environment, as this is intended to be a personal device rather than a sound system.

Loading videos onto the device was a lot more awkward. The manual suggests that you download 'youtube downloader' and use this to load only .flv files onto your device. Well, this took a little time, but seemed easy enough. Only the player doesn't play .flv files at all - it plays .avi files! Why the manual tells us otherwise I do not know!! Fortunately, you can use the same download as I mentioned before to convert youtube files quickly and easily into .avi files and then drop and drag them onto the device in the same manner used to load photos and music. It's just as well I thought to check the properties of the existing demo files on the device, after my .flv files would not play, or I wouldn't have been able to work this out. After I realised what I needed to do, and converted my files to the .avi format, everything was plain sailing.

I was pleased to find that all the fuss and bother was worth it in the end. The video picture quality is really good! I've loaded a variety of youtube videos onto the device, from full length cartoons (between 8 and 14 minutes long) to music videos and snippets people have uploaded from science shows, and every clip has played back brilliantly. My only concern with the picture quality is that even though the device plays the videos back horizontally, the screen orientation is clearly designed to be used vertically. If you tilt the device to your left, you can see the picture clearly, if you tilt it to the right, it goes black. If you sit it bang in the middle, your eyes feel a bit funny viewing it, so it's best to tilt it just a tiny bit off to the left. I also find that the sound is slightly off-sync on some of the videos. It's loud and clear, but that split second off when people are talking too. If I'd paid an ipod price tag, I'd be annoyed. For the price paid, I can't complain about these quirks though.

The radio function just doesn't seem to work. I've adjusted all the necessary settings, I've searched both automatically and manually too. It doesn't even come close to hinting at being anywhere close to picking a station up. None at all!

The games are redundant and clearly only added so that the developers could list them as being another reason to buy this device. One is a sliding puzzle featuring just three puzzles - all of a black and white chess board. Boring stuff. The other is basically tetris, but it's incredibly hard to play with the controls they've given you. You have to use the included stylus to tap buttons at the bottom of the screen in order to move the falling blocks around. I'm brilliant at Tetris and I found this impossibly hard to do. The touch screen is just not responsive enough to manage a game of this race-against-time nature.

The ebook function is another no-go area. It can only read .txt files and so far I haven't worked out how to get things on here so that they actually work. I can save .txt files easily enough in Notepad on my PC, however once transferred to the device, they only show what fits onto the screen and don't send the text that doesn't fit onto the next page like you'd expect it too. I have absolutely no idea how to get around this. There is the complete works of shakespeare already pre-loaded onto the device, and that opens easily and includes hundreds of pages of text inside each file. Unfortunately, I don't think my six year old is quite ready for shakespeare.

The other functions mentioned sort of work, like the camera and the video recorder (think children's toy quality). The stop watch function works provided the touch screen is feeling responsive, and the calendar is available for reference purposes only (you can't actually store any data in it!). The stylus is a nice idea, but cheaply made and likely to snap at some point. The touch screen works, but isn't guaranteed to respond every time. It's not even as good as my fairly cheap android phone, but to be honest, I don't think I can complain for the price. The sound quality is much better than I expected it to be, and the video quality is excellent too. I also like how slim and lightweight this is, and how easily it can be slipped into a pocket or bag.

For the low price, I recommend this for kids. If it gets broken by accident after a few months use, I won't be too upset. If he broken an ipod on the other hand, I think I'd want to kill him. In the future, as he gets older, I would happily pay the money to get the more efficient, responsive and generally better performing ipod. This is a great little gadget after you get it all worked out, but lots of the functions don't work properly, and the build quality is clearly not designed to last for any great period of time. Three stars from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kubik Roca 4GB, 25 Jan. 2012
I bought this for Christmas for my 8 year old son. As I didn't want to pay the money for an ipod touch. I had a search for something similar and found this. After reading previous reviews I thought I would take a chance and we have not been disappointed. It does everything he wants. The sound quality is good from the headphones but not that loud from the built in speaker. The video play back quality is also good.

The only negatives are
* the touch screen can be a little bit unresponsive
* the lack of games and no way to add more
* no mains charger

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made, with nice features., 11 Jan. 2012
Bought this Roca for my 9-year old son for Christmas. Needless to say he's chuffed to bits.

My son gets to grips with most technical things very quickly indeed, so this MP3 player didn't present any problems at all. Daddy foolishly thought he 'knew better' and started to try and 'Synch' the music to the player using Windows Media Player... Son 'tutted' and simply dragged his chosen files to the player and - job done.

Sound quality is very pleasing through the headphones, but obvious unacceptable via the tiny speaker - no surprise there. (Don't you hate it when a bunch of teenagers walk past you 'listening' to tinny music through their nasty little player's 'speakers'...? Rant over)

The camera is usable but basic. Quality isn't dreadfully bad as such - the images are clear enough and provide oodles of entertainment value when playing with the various effects - but I doubt you'd ever try and actually print them out. Proper 'photo' quality it ain't.

The player has a very decent solid feel to it - it does seem like a 'quality' product - but I've noticed some paint has been scratched off the metal back already, and my boy hasn't been careless with it. The touchscreen is clear and easy to use, and my son reports no problems with lack of sensitivity mentioned by some people on here. This is all based on 'finger' use; I can't comment on the use of the stylus yet, as I've only just pointed out to my son that this item actually exists on his player (thanks to a reviewer on here...)

Thoroughly recommended. It's a well-made unit that looks decent quality and performs well in virtually every respect - with the camera quality being the most obvious compromise. However, for the money you really can't expect better.

I'm torn between giving it 4 or 5 stars. The camera, as I've mentioned, is obviously a compromise, but for the money it's actually completely acceptable.

Nice one, Kubic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super device, 24 Jan. 2012
This is rather natty little device and an ideal gift for my daughter already suffering from smart phone envy at the age of 9. Immediately transferred her collection of music from from an old Sweex device to this.

Screen: - Touch screen that works well with or without stylus for me, but daughter prefers the stylus.
Music Playback: - Good quality audio, and the presence of speaker meant headphones not obligatory, but replaced the included headphones with a Sennheiser pair with great results.
Video playback: - Downloaded a couple of vids in flv format from youtube to test it...this did not work. Screen is reasonably clear and playback flicker free using other formats.
Applications: - eReader included; not great, reads Txt files. The text is formatted for viewing in the small font but most readable in medium font. Interestingly Complete works of Shakespeare already loaded...brilliant as plays, not really ideal for the eye-strain of a mini eReader.
Games: - A Puzzle (called slider) and a falling blocks game is included...don't think more can be added...pity.
Built in Camera: - Not really good unless in bright light, but another gimmick that my daughter likes
Calculator: - simple, effective
Many functions not yet tested

I see this being used a lot. I have a series of audio CDs to get her started in French...transferring them to the player is my next step.

Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price!, 27 Sept. 2011
S. Novell "sid" (England) - See all my reviews
I got this for my 8 year old son, his first proper music player, he loves it as it has room for loads of music and also takes decent photos, plays some games and looks like an ipod. I was impressed with this little gadget, great value and lots of features.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kept my kids quiet on a long journey!, 7 Sept. 2011
I bought 2 of these for a trip down to Devon, hardly heard a peep from my boys (4 and 6) as they listened to audible books and their music all the way. Album titles are written, not images so it's much easier to use when they can read, but worked great... We have little videos of the motorway and photos of everything - the boys thoroughly enjoyed the trip...

Didn't get 5 stars as sometimes the screen wasn't very responsive, but for the price that's a very minor gripe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value MP3 player, 3 Feb. 2012
I bought this for my 9 year old son, as a replacement for the Kubik Edge II that he had received for xmas and which was faulty. The Kubik Roca is a slimmer version of the Kubik Edge and as such my son really felt like he had received an upgrade as it looked much smarter. It also has a built in slot for the little pen that comes with it, which the Kubik Edge was lacking. We are really happy with this mp3 player - it is easy to transfer music on to it from our itunes library (just remember to convert the songs into mp3 format first). My son likes to plug it in to his gaming chair and listen to it through the chair's speaker and the sound quality is good. This has definately been his favourite xmas present. We haven't yet tried to download anything from youtube but I'm sure he'll be asing us to help him with that soon!