5.0 out of 5 stars Instant relaxation
Published on 2 Sep 2003 by JonBoy

3.0 out of 5 stars "Planet Sequence"
Stephen Soderbergh's reworking of Andre Tarkovsky's seminal sci-fi epic received a pretty muted critical response on release, but I enjoyed Solaris very much in the cinema, and this was due in no small part to Cliff Martinez's (literally) haunting score.
Published on 13 Nov 2003 by William Ayres

3.0 out of 5 stars "Planet Sequence", 13 Nov 2003
This review is from: Solaris (Audio CD)
This was my basis for purchasing his soundtrack album, which delights at times and drags at others: His main themes for the characters and sequences have a weightless grace to them and recall the work of Philip Glass and even Arvo Part - great washes of strings and programming that conjure perfectly the planet Solaris wreathed in clouds and plasma.
Unfortunately, what prevents this score from being wholly successful is an over-reliance on just a few melodic themes, repeated in variations over the course of the album. As such, I find this works as superior background music, but can be slightly repetitive if concentrated on.
That's not to say that there aren't moments here which are enthralling, but they are better taken in small doses than over a full-length CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant relaxation, 2 Sep 2003
This review is from: Solaris (Audio CD)
I actually enjoyed the film and was blown away by the music, it just seems to instantly switch off my stress. I've got it on an MP3 player and it's great for anything - driving, sitting on a train, plane, etc or just blasting out in surround at home. Not all the tracks are as good as the best ones, my playlist is track numbers 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 but there's nothing wrong with the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patience Rewarded, 8 Sep 2009
Cratedigger (Loughborough, Leicestershire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solaris (Audio CD)
It has taken a long time to find @ a price I call fair (thankyou inandout records Austria), but I'm now immersing myself in this blissful album instead of having to watch the film again (wonderful as it is) just so I can hear the amazing music. Static but moving, it's cold in space but warm in human hearts and in the creatures brought from memory. I would go to Solaris to-morrow to see those people I miss from my past. Riley / Reich / Glass / Part / Gamelan fans will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A crescendo of well-being, 2 Jan 2008
Nicholas Casley (Plymouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Solaris (Audio CD)
I was pleasantly surprised to find myself attracted to the soundtrack of this film, since its subtle weave does not announce itself with a blaze of trumpets. Rather, its gentle rocking was clearly in tune with the film, and perfectly matched the pinks and blues of the dreamy land- and soundscape unravelling on-screen.

I thought initially that I was listening to synthesised sounds, but it was another pleasure to find that a full symphonic orchestra was called upon to create these fantastic sounds. So, we have the full-orchestral accompaniment credited on the sleeve, from violins to tuba. There is some electronic input into the matrix, especially apparent in track 4, 'Will She Come Back'.

Much of the music consists of long sustained notes - some rising, some already on their plateau - that are punctuated by strong chords. Underneath, gentle gamelan and steel drum sounds provide a warm and insistent rhythm. You could claim this is New Age music (whatever that is) and it is true that the music can be enjoyed in its own right without the film.

The music instils in me feelings of wonder, of melancholy, of darkness and light, of tension and re-assurance, just like the movie. I also sensed a warm, slow, transcending movement - like a night train working its way through and across a darkened world. The gamelan/steel drum arrangement can appear prominent in places, such as in track 9, 'Wear Your Seatbelt', and when this happens the feel is of cold metal.

The music has its discordant moments, especially in the fifth track, 'Death Shall Have No Dominion', and I was reminded of some of the Ligeti soundtrack on "2001: A Space Odyssey"; but the discords are never so bad as to set the teeth on edge. The longest track out of the total 43 minutes, lasting almost eleven minutes, is track 8 'Hi Energy Proton Accelerator', where pulses of sustained chords become randomly (?) discordant, but th track concludes in a positive crescendo of well-being.

Just like you will feel when listeing to this world!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good soundtrack, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Solaris (Audio CD)
This is excellent film music which gives a good ambience in the background for reading and other calm activities. It has real musical merit on its own as well. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Bruce Fowler had joined fellow Beefheart cohort Cliff Martinez to orchestrate and conduct, and the fabulous trombonist from the Magic Band and the Mothers doesn't fail to impress even in this more ambient domain.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful album to relax to, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: Solaris (Audio CD)
What more can I say. Not that I own many, but for me, this is one of my favourite albums by Cliff Martinez.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving Music, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Solaris (Audio CD)
Fantastic moving soundtrack from one of the best Scifi films that I have seen. Atmospheric music from a great composer.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest ever film soundtracks, 16 Nov 2012
This review is from: Solaris (Audio CD)
I adore this album. The fact that it was entirely orchestral took me aback, such are the unique sounds Martinez has created. Particular highlights include first sleep, will she come back, don't blow it (one of my favourite ever pieces of music) and wear your seat belt. It fit the film perfectly and whilst a couple of tracks (8. and 10.) are more sound effects than songs, this album will move you, for better for worse. It is haunting and melancholic, and will certainly prompt a bout of introspection. Best enjoyed with a glass of red.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 7 Mar 2010
This review is from: Solaris (Audio CD)
Solaris took two watches nearly a year apart for me to get it, first time I enjoyed it but I guess I wasn't in the right mood it didn't impact me that much. The second time I saw it and more importantly heard it with new eyes and ears. The music score really makes this movie. rarely do I ever buy a movie sound track but I bought this. Its that kind of music which can pick you up or even make you cry, its very emotive, realaxing and beautiful. Cliff is a genius. Buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dreamy, 13 Jan 2010
This review is from: Solaris (Audio CD)
I bought this as a present for my partner. He's been looking for it in high street shops for a couple of years now, so was thrilled when he received it on Christmas day. He finds it incredibly relaxing and the perfect background music to do mental work, revision etc.

Solaris
Solaris by Cliff Martinez (Audio CD - 2014)