5.0 out of 5 stars This Video Recorder is a little Gem
Published on 25 April 2011 by A. D. Green

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon to the Rescue!
Published on 26 April 2011 by awp278

5.0 out of 5 stars This Video Recorder is a little Gem, 25 April 2011
A. D. Green "ADG" (Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba Camileo S30 Full HD Digital Camcorder - Black (Electronics)
I'd never been interested in video recorders before now. When my son was born 20 years ago I bought one with the intention of recording his childhood, but it was too bulky, meaning the picture bumped about and the sound banged everytime the camera touched something; So it never got used and became just a waste of money.I reluctantly purchased my Toshiba S30 to take a video of my wifes dance classes to put on her website; I chose the Toshiba after reading some of the excellent reviews and watching some amateur U-Tube offerings. Out of the bunch it seemed to offer the best value.
All I can say is Wow! Its a dream to use and i seem to be taking it everywhere. Its small and compact so easy to slip in my pocket. Its picture quality is excellent, and because its so light the picture is much more stable, which also means the sound is much less clumpy. Video recorders have certainly come a long way. There seem to be no problems taking low light pictures in village halls etc, and i'm impressed in how easy it is to upload the video's to our websites and facebook.
I can thoroughly recommend the Toshiba S30, Its a little Gem.Toshiba Camileo S30 Full HD Digital Camcorder - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent value for money, 5 April 2011
I wanted a camcorder that was easy to set up and carry about with me, this little gem does every thing i want and more.
all the user interface is clear and easy to understand, the touch screen is great and the equipment you get with this cam is really good value best ive seen at this price range i would give it a 9/10 the lost point is for lack of sd card but i would have to be really mean to put that in the proper score. in my humble opinion toshiba have got it right with this cam well done.......

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon to the Rescue!, 26 April 2011
Unfortunately after less than 10 uses this item cut off mid-record. Believing it to be a low battery I charged the item. It came on, then cut off again as soon as I entered into the menu command screen. There has been no sign of life since! When it worked, the item was very good and I had no problems with its build or record quality, but because of the fault that rendered it useless, I could have only given it 3 stars at best (4 if it had continued to work with no problems). But if you're like me, then you probably only read the 5 & 1 star ratings, hence my rating.

Toshiba - I wish I could make comment on their customer service, but as I never got through to anyone in the 4+hrs on the phone my only comment is 'dissapointing'.

Amazon - Once again they don the shining armour and ride to the rescue; although the item was past its 30 day return point (about 50 days I think). One email that got a reply requesting I attempt to contact Toshiba, and an 8min phonecall to Amazon (from start to finish) when my 'Toshiba' attempt(s) failed, concluded in one very satisfied customer!
Anyone can sell you something, but it's the customer care you receive when a problem arises that really counts; Amazon has never let me down on the very few occasions this has happened. A new order was raised and I will hopefully be able to leave a more reflective review of the camcorder at a later date. Until then, credit where it's due, Amazon = Awesome 5 star service!

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid!!!, 19 Mar 2012
I hold my hands up - I made a big mistake in ignoring the reviews on here. I thought Toshiba is a well known brand so surely it was just bad luck that people had problems with it. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. I turned the camera on and it charged fine. The quality seemed OK - not great, and very slow frame rate at the highest HD resolution, but acceptable for the price. I didn't touch it for a week and then tried to turn it on the day before going on holiday...and nothing. It would not turn on. I tried recharging it, taking the battery and SDHC card out, and everything I could find on the internet, but nothing. I left it on charge and a tried a couple of hours later and it turned on...only to find that it again wouldn't turn on again the next morning. I honestly can't believe Toshiba are selling a product with such a fundamental and catastrophic flaw. I will learn my lesson and trust Amazon reviews in future. Seriously think twice about buying this - even if it works when you get it you'll constantly be worrying that it won't turn on at the time you actually want to use it. There are other video camera options out there - use them!

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS CAMCORDER!!!!!, 1 Mar 2012
I don't usually leave reviews, but I really feel like I have to in this case. I got this camcorder as a gift for Christmas, and the first try I was really impressed, it worked great, was easy to use, and stylish - we all had great fun with it. On the SECOND try out, it won't turn on at all, even after trying to charge it, it's just dead. This is a technical fault with the camera, and if you look on Toshiba Support Forums there are many many people that have had exactly the same problem, and there is absolutely nothing you can do to sort it out but refund it. PLEASE don't waste your money, and go for a different make until Toshiba have learnt that annoying their customers with bad software is not the way to go and sort it out.

Incidentally, if you actually call Toshiba, they tell you there is nothing wrong with the camcorder, and nobody else has had any problems. Really Toshiba, really?? I sincerely beg to differ!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 22 Sep 2011
Around a year ago I purchased a Sony Bloggie, got home and put the footage on the computer to find the quality abysmal, I soon took it back the shop I bought it from and exchanged it for the Toshiba Camileo S30, Wow what a difference, the quality of recording and play back is fab, please feel free to view my you tube account under the name The Scammellman, where you can see the difference between the two, everything that was recorded pre 2011 was filmed using the Bloggie and everything else was recorded on the Toshiba, in all I would highly recommend this camcorder.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy at your peril!, 7 Mar 2012
Bought for me by my inlaws at Christmas, used few times and thought cool product. Went to use it this week, wouldn't turn on, charged it up, still wouldn't turn on. Thought I had let the battery get too low and ordered new ones, but then looked on line. Appears this is a common fault and Toshiba do nothing about it. Bordering on criminal for a large company to treat customers in this way. I swear I will never buy another Toshiba product as long as I live. This was a gift and I feel really disappointed that my partners family wasted their money and now have no way to recover the cost , plus I purchased battery's which are now useless for a useless product. Lesson learnt , search for faults on the Internet before you buy!

1.0 out of 5 stars BAD camera, 27 Dec 2011
This camera has a major fault it does not power up! look online its a common fault and Toshiba wont help customers. BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective, 27 Mar 2011
Alan Wood (Baughurst, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Wanted a simple compact recording device for both work and pleasure. Quality is excellent once I remembered to remove the protective film from the lens. Battery life is good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Camileo Buyer Beware, 26 Feb 2012
This camera is junk and it is about time Toshiba came clean on the fault. I received one for christmas and following its second charge it failed to power up, However with a little persistnace it would occassionally power up and worked fine once it did. But who wants a camera that pleases itself if it powers up or not. The camera was replaced and the replacement was exactly the same. Both came from Curry's btw. The mains power supply socket (used for charging was checked and was functioning correctly. There are numerous accounts of this camera faulting after charging on the internet. THE CAMERA IS DUFF! not because it isn't any good as far as video quality is concerned because it is ok. IT JUST WONT POWER UP WHEN I NEED IT TO.