5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!
Published on 30 Nov. 2010 by Dallas Middleton

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Told me a lot more about Buddhism than I knew but didn't make me want to become one.
Published 5 months ago by Stella MN

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 30 Nov. 2010
This review is from: BUDDHISM and BUDDHIST TEACHINGS: Ultimate Collection of Texts For Beginners (Kindle Edition)
I must say there is some real great stuff in this collection. As a complete beginner, I am out looking for some stuff to get into buddhsim and I found this to be a real good start. I've just started reading through some of it, but already things have jumped off the page at me and I already understand certain things. Its really got me more interested and I'm looking forward to reading even more of the collection. Really enjoying it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good refresher course as well, 19 Dec. 2010
Several years ago, I started getting into Buddhism and I really liked how it was able to give me a new view point for my life. I fell out of the habit of practising and reading about it and I regret that coz I remember how it was good for me. I wish I had stuck with it.

So now I'm looking for get back into it and I wanted a quick, easy refresher course. I found this collection and although it says its for beginners, I figured if I don't remember everything from when I was into Buddhism, then it would work for me. And it was quite cheap.

It has been very good. Lots of the stuff I remember reading about is coming back to me as I look through what's here. I look forward to reading the whole thing and this time sticking with the principles. I think it's a good collection for people who want to get into Buddhism and I recommend it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely recommended, 31 Mar. 2011
Recently, I have been looking for some books that can help me through some tough personal times I have been having. I had been told by a friend that Oriental philosophies had helped them cope when they went through some bad times themselves. I purchased this book and started to read it. I must say I got into some of it very quickly. And a lot of the stuff in it really started to help me. I'm still going through some personal issues, but this collection has really helped me have a different perspective and I am going to be buying other books on Buddhism and Oriental philosophies soon because of it. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars *** Persistence is the Key ***, 24 Sept. 2011
Wayne - See all my reviews
I was disappointed with the first part of this book. I do subscribe to the philosophy and teachings of Buddhism however the issue I have with this particular section is one of translation - I found it difficult to understand and challenging to digest the information.

The original texts were written in the ancient language of Sanskrit. It was further translated into Chinese and finally into English. Herein lies the issue; the translation is 'Literal'

One could consider the translated words poetic; unfortunately for me although poetic they detract from what I believe to be the true meaning of Buddhism: "Simplicity"

The term 'Chinese Whispers' is applicable and rings true with this part. Any translation from Chinese into English (not to mention Sanskrit into Chinese) has always presented issues; primarily because some Chinese words simply have no direct English translation. A popular comparison perhaps could be: translate the meaning of "Yin-Yang" - I'm sure you'll receive many versions, ironically there is no black or white answer.

However, as you read through the works there are clearer teachings that are somewhat easier to digest. My advice would be to persist and perhaps skip the first section as this, for me was a mountain to climb at the beginning of my journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars everything you need to know about buddhism, 18 Dec. 2012
The early stuff in this collection is a bit weird, so I skipped through it. the middle and later stuff is excellent. There is something here for everyone irrelevant of belief.

4.0 out of 5 stars a must read!, 16 Dec. 2013
Excellent book for beginners and intermediate learning on buddhism.I particularly liked the chapter on the concept of buddhism and god.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, 8 Mar. 2013
Easy to follow and well explained. Lays out the pribciples well. Could go a liile further on what it covers

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning, 22 Dec. 2012
It is a lot to take in, but as it is the definitive work, I will get there eventually, perserverance is the key !

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 9 Oct. 2014
Stella MN "VWGolf" (Nottingham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Jan. 2015
A must if you wont good info on Buddhism worth buying