5.0 out of 5 stars Superb boot for kids
I bought these boots for both my children (girl aged 7, boy aged 5) in order to walk in the alps this summer. I needed a genuinely waterproof boot as they often go off walking across streams and such like. A waterproof boot also means that they can continue using them through the autumn and winter in the UK.
Firstly the boots are amazing value (at £20 a pair when I...
Published on 26 July 2009 by Ricardo

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful quality....do think twice before purchasing
I bought 2 pairs of the Hi-Tec Children's Altitude IW WP Dark Choclate 02101-M77 1 UK for my sons. After 5 wears not YEARS the glue holding the soles to the rest of the product has lost its effect.

There is nothing it seems we can do given the transaction has been over 30 days.

A few points:

1. it takes over 30 days to establish if this...
Published 6 months ago by nurup naimji

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb boot for kids, 26 July 2009
Ricardo (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
Firstly the boots are amazing value (at £20 a pair when I bought them). They are easily as well made, if not better, than much more expensive boots we have had from the likes of Scarpa and Meindl. They are comfortable to wear and only produced one blister - which is brilliant when you consider the kids walked in them from new, and that we were doing some serious hiking.
Secondly they were waterproof as promised, especially after treating them with Nikwax nubuck waterproofer. Don't believe the hype when those fabric and leather boots say they have a "waterproof membrane". It's all rubbish, as I have learned from bitter experience. If you want waterproof you need full leather with as few seams as possible, and these boots fit the bill. Of course, if the kids are walking through long, wet grass, you'll need to give them waterproof leggings, as water can always get in over the top!).
The soles are tough, with a good grip, and the vibram means they are well cushioned - so they're great for walking for hours over rocky terrain.
If you need good quality, great value walking boots for the kids, look no further. These are a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice boot, 24 Mar. 2010
If you went into any high-street camping type shop you would probably be paying at least £90 for an equivalent boot in an adult size.

I bought this for my son, mainly for use in snow, as his snow shoes had got too small. You know the kind where the lower part of the upper is covered in rubber, and the bit above that is some kind of paddded nylon affair. Those kind of boots are great even in mud, as long as you don't go in deeper than the rubberised bit.

Anyhow. The shoes were great in the snow, and even sledging, where they got very wet on the outside, because of being used to brake & steer the toboggan - the shoes live up to their billing, and did not get wet on the inside. My son was 'well impressed'.

Now that we are back home, they have the added advantage of being sturdy shoes for running about in. The only reason that they don't get put on is because of the extra hassle with laces - that's what velcro straps do for you.

So these boots are two in one: snow boots & walking boots. Even as snow boots their price is competetive with the cheap jobs. As walking boots, these are brilliant value for money.

I fancy a pair myself, but my feet are too big.

4.0 out of 5 stars All leather quality..., 7 July 2009
For the price I paid these boots are very good.

They offer excellent ankle support and cause little if any foot perspiration - they are well made and the welted (?) sole is very robust.

I would recommend for any keen hiker or outdoor pursuit...

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 14 Feb. 2010
C. Campbell - See all my reviews
I bought these boots for my 11 year old son, for a forest walk with his scout troup. The walk took them through heather, fern and long grass and was extremely muddy and wet under foot. There was even still a few snowy patches. I should know as I went along as a parent helper. At the end of the walk many of the other boys had to remove both boots and socks which were soaked right through. My son's boots were very slightly damp on the inside but nothing to write home about. Given the terrain I was very impressed at how they stood up.

5.0 out of 5 stars great walking boots, 15 May 2012
Debra C-C (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
these are just great boots - they are comfortable and waterproof which is all they need to be, but they are also stylish enough to be worn by my teenage daughter! She wore them for a weekend of hiking (in the rain) and despite the fact they were new came home with no blisters. They are well made but also very lightweight, which is ideal for walking. She reported that her feet remained dry despite the torrential rain conditions. She will be taking them to festivals this summer as they're ideal for that too. Can totally recommend them and will be buying more pairs for my other kids and myself!

The first pair we ordered had a fault inside, which would not have been visible until you put them on. Amazon replaced them instantly. The returns process is impressive and simple and the replacement pair arrived before the faulty pair had been returned. They were also a great price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful quality....do think twice before purchasing, 22 Sept. 2014

A few points:

1. it takes over 30 days to establish if this type of product is fit for purpose
2. I have spent less money on other hiking shoes for my kids and have had better performance
3. the previous Hi Tec shoe i bought for my son from Canada has caused my sons no problems
4. If you are expecting quality from the Hi-Tec brand, you may be disappointed given my experience

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 18 Sept. 2012
Bought a pair for myself (size 6) even though it's a long time since I was a kid! After suffering a serious ankle injury one year ago, I needed reliable boots with good support and comfortable too (my ankle still swells).
These fit the bill perfectly. They are extremely comfortable and have not rubbed or caused any blisters anywhere. Have found them to be waterproof so far although not waded through sodden grass yet. They grip very well on all terrains and are generally a good all round walking boot.
Best of all, they are excellent value! Never thought I'd manage to get a pair of boots that ticked all the boxes for this price!! Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Child's Leather Hiking Boots, 18 Sept. 2013
I bought these for my son primarily to go on his cubs camping trip. He tells me they are very comfortable to wear and I have had problems in the past buying comfortable shoes for him as he has a wide fitting and a high instep. Having said that the only problem with these was getting him to take them off!!! I also went on a couple of hikes with him through wet grass and they truly are waterproof unlike fabric hiking boots. I'm very pleased with these boots and my son now wears them to every cubs meeting They stand up to a lot of heavy use as well without looking tatty. All in all a great buy and I would get them again in the next sizes up.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, not comfortable, 2 Nov. 2010
Sadly, the stitching at the heel made this boot extremely uncomfortable and I exchanged it for the Hi-Tec childrens altitude lite WP Perfections Plum which does not have the same feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well they made it up Kilimanjaro, so..., 26 May 2014
Miss Heaps - See all my reviews
As a 21 year old woman with UK1 (eu33) feet I struggled to find a decent pair of walking boots for a recent expedition. I wore in and discarded countless pairs which ended up rubbing, not being durable enough etc. Many pairs of boots later I discovered these. At a fraction of the price of some of the others I tried I wasn't hopeful but gave them a go. I'm so glad I did! These ended up being the one and took me to the top of Kilimanjaro in February 2014 (5895m). Even after the 6 day trek I hadn't a single blister and for the most part my feet remained comfortable and well supported. Cannot recommend these boots enough!