5.0 out of 5 stars Must have prepping item
This apparatus is basically a sw/am/fm/noaa radio, a 3 led flashlight, a multicharger, a clock, an external speaker and a bottle opener.
Published on 26 Oct 2010 by David

2.0 out of 5 stars Careful!!!
Firstly, I bought this radio from Firebox through Amazon. Firebox are AWESOME and have been very understanding through the process of returning my radio. Then even sent a bag of sweets with the product!!

Published on 9 April 2011 by Manu Gupta

2.0 out of 5 stars Careful!!!, 9 April 2011
This review is from: Eton Scorpion (SP100) Multi-Purpose Solar Powered Radio, Compact and Power Packed for Extreme Outdoor Conditions (Sports)

Ok... so the radio itself. I don't know if I'm being too pedantic here but I did a LOT of research before buying this radio. The radio available in the UK seems to be a shade different from the Eton Scorpion available in the states. Here's the results of my own little "Spot the differences" game:

1. UK: Says "Scorpion" on the side and on the hand crank. US: Says "Eton" on the side and on the hand crank.
2. UK: Digital display lights up white with light leakage to body of radio. US: Lights up blue with no light leakage.
3. UK: Antenna flimsy and broke so I had to return it. US: Video reviews show a much sturdier antenna.

Functionally the radio I received was good, except for the flimsy antenna. Does what it says on the tin but I get the feeling Eton's trying to pull a fast one on us here in the UK.

Let me re-iterate... Firebox have been awesome and are currently processing my return.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great item but poor reliability, 20 Oct 2011
Firstly the good bits.
The radio and torch are great. The solar panel is handy but needs a few days charge in the sun to work for long enough.
I love this device , very useful in the bathroom and when camping.

The bad points
This will be the third device whereby the plasic handle to wind it up has snapped. I am not heavy handed but after about a week of use twice a day it snaps. which is a shame as the solar panel takes to long and charging via the power socket defeats the purpose of the device.
I also have not been able to charge my phone with the USB charger, (may be my phone).

Would i buy one again, yes and have, do i wish the handle issue was fixed yes!!
If youre going to charge it via the power socket all the time then buy one, if not dont find something else.
The concept is brilliat but the practice and quality of this one does not live up to it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice Idea, dubious quality, 1 April 2013
I really liked the idea of this, given I was going sailing and power is limited. Even thought I'd while away the hours winding to charge my phone.
Well that was the plan, but within a week the handle snapped off the arm. Poor given I wasn't winding that hard.
Needs bright sunlight to keep the radio going too, which we don't get a lot of in the UK.
Still, the bottle opener didn't let me down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have prepping item, 26 Oct 2010
All crammed in to one compact water resistant rugged unit. And it has its own solar and hand cranked energy source. This item should be a must in any preppers bugoutbag. Or excellent to store in the house for when the next blackout. Much recommended! About a minute of call time on my samsung galaxy s for every minute cranked (probably much more on a non smart phone) that could be the minute you need when you are lost in the woods.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Camping, 22 Feb 2013
This is a great product for the great outdoors. The solar panel works OK and 2 minutes of winding gives about 10 - 15 minutes radio time. Have found that its best charge it via the mains before leaving home and then to keep it topped up via the solar panel and winding handle. A charger isn't supplied, but I had an old 6V charge, which works just fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Water Resistant, 9 July 2012
Note to anyone looking for water resistance. This product is not water proof, splash proof or water resistant at all. The ariel has even rusted after one trip out on the boat. I'm now in the process of trying to get a refund. On a positive note the product may very well work fine as long as it has no contact with water.

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally not worth it., 27 Oct 2011
I bought this item to take with me to my first festival - The Secret Garden Party thinking that it would be extremely handy given torch/radio and most importantly the phone charging element (though I must add that if you are going to a festival then you probably would have limited use for the radio).
I record this as one of my worst purchases ever.
The torch is good - but how could it not be? It is LED, lasts a while and if all you are looking for is a torch then you could probably get a much better one for cheaper.
The radio - well as I said before, it may not see much use in festival conditions. The buttons seems rugged but the screen and controls seem so cheap.
The hand charger/solar panel - now this is the premium element. This is what you are really paying for so it stands to reason that this is what the whole thing should be measured on. In that vein I can report that it this feature is totally useless on smartphones. Thus it can then be argued that the case for buying this product vanish.
I took so much abuse from my friends when sitting down in our circle desperately cranking the scorpion in the hope that it would charge my phone to a reasonable level, I refused to give up and when challenged to make call, the phone cut out almost immediately when trying to connect after 30mins of cranking! And yes, I had dimmed the screen, turned off wifi, 3g, bluetooth etc..
Oh yeah - the solar panel - as someone said before this powers radio only - so pretty useless.
My advice. Spend the same amount of money and buy a good LED torch (or 2) and buy a purpose built USB battery pack which are going pretty cheap these days. If you want to hear music, put your phone into a cup and you get to play your own tunes.

5.0 out of 5 stars As expected, 11 May 2014
The item was as expected. The battery level indicator is showing nonsense, but this was known prior the purchase from other reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Not water-resistant, 19 Feb 2014
Okay, so this thing is really crap to be honest. Battery doesn't last long, solar power sucks, crank breaks. And it takes in water as soon as it's submerged or being rained on. Granted, it does kind of work after being submerged in salt water, but the battery is drained even faster.

I got a new one sent out for free after complaining. I wouldn't use it for outdoor stuff, only for a nice emergency light in the car or wherever.

On a different note, it can charge an iPad at like 1% a minute, so that's pretty cool. The light is strong and it feels sturdy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eton Scorpion solar/wind up radio, 18 July 2011
Although generally well made, the handle on the wind up arm broke after one days use. However Amazon were brilliant and got a replace me to me within 3 days.
The reception and sound seem reasonable for a small radio, however much 'winding' is needed to fully charge - typically about 500 cranks (3 minutes). The advertising for the phone charge facility is misleading. It does not work from the solar charger on the radio, only from hand crank - this needs about 15 minutes of winding for a tiny bit of talk time, so genuinely for emergencies only! Bottle opener seems fine!
Overall a reasonable, sturdy radio useful for camping/outdoors.