4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, worthwhile purchase
Well after investigating into many different NAS devices or solutions, I decided to go for the Dlink, mainly due to price, but also after hearing some good reviews of their previous models.
Firstly, Delivery was fine - I opted for 2 Samsung F3 1TB disk drives along with the Dlink chassis, all of which were well packaged and easily opened.

Opening the boxes...
Published on 4 Jan. 2011 by P. HALLETT

2.0 out of 5 stars It could be a great product but it's not
I think I was too fast buying this NAS, I did because mainly two reasons, 1º it's cheap, 2º web interface is pretty nice-looking, I'd said pretty cool. I am used to think that nice interfaces are directly related with the quality of the product, but it is not always the fact.

I've received my package one month ago, the wrapping was perfect (+1 Amazon), the...
Published on 10 Jan. 2012 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't use auto run to install, 28 Mar. 2012
This review is from: D-Link ShareCenter Pulse 2-bay Network Storage Enclosure (Electronics)
Spent over an hour trying to set up using disk, and consulting internet.
Problem is default ip address it gets.

I decided on a fixed IP address to give it using disk, but tools section to find it and change ip address and then accessed via internet explorer to do other changes.
Less than 15 minutes to set up once I had found this.

Hope this helps as seems to work very fast at backing up, and shows up as a "PC" in network formatted to raid 1.

Video breaks up when playing over network, but downloads to local drive quickly as a work around, but this problem may be D-link, or disks I have put in or more likely my home network, as it goes through adapters via mains leads.
Really just a warning of limitations re home networks.

BUT compared to old TB backup drives, this solution seems to give me a secure backup of all my computers in home, and backing up an "off-site" copy to old TB drives 600+GB takes less than 3 hours.
And plus part is ALL Photos Music Video etc are available in one place.
Need to now rethink if All info goes to this and laptops etc are made "Dumb" of data.
Hmm, no need to backup individual Pcs etc and no data lost if Laptop lost,think I need to RE-think about this more than just a backup media.
With this thought now glad I bought 2X 2TB Disks.

Not tried to access remote off site etc yet as this is all new and extra to my primary need.

Note, Fan noise is noticable (not noisy unless under heavy useage) so don't put in a "quiet" room or where wife sits!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good NAS, Rubbish Media Server!, 12 Sept. 2011
Bought this for two reasons, a RAID 1 NAS box to protect personal files (photos, videos, music etc) and a media server to stream to my Sony Blue-Ray player.

Added two Seagate 1T disks.

Arrived quickly (thanks Amazon!), set up very easy and quick (just drop the drives in and turn it on).

Found straight away on the network, started putting data on - some videos and music to test. Performance not startling but adequate.

Fired up the Blue-Ray player, found it without problems, went to the Videos folder....... what a mess! Files and folders NOT in alphabetical order!

Went to Music, same thing. This means that if I want to play a whole album, it is pot-luck what order the tracks play in - not good.

Eventually found from the D-Link forum that this is a known problem, but no fix.

I enabled hibernation on the DNS-320 (didn't want the fan running constantly).

After doing this, I found that the Sony can find the NAS ok, when it 'wakes', but the media server wouldn't start. It does this about 50% of the time and I have to power-cycle the DNS-320 to bring it back.

In short, works fine as a NAS, but is rubbish as a media server! My home PCs do a much better job!!!

Returning this, keeping the disks and I'll slot them into my wife's desktop, RAID them and use her PC as a media server.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Does what it needs to and more!, 16 Oct. 2011
I bought this to create a home network, I have had to use a Netgear Booster which I have now hooked this bad boy up to! I put in two 500GB HDD's enough for now to test etc, set it to RAID and it works so well! (so easy to insert 2 SATA Drives) I had a little issue with set up, so registered on the D-Link site only to get a response within 12 hours! So helpful, set it all up and away we go! An amazing solution to the alternative server. This has it's own web UI and is easy to understand, set up and use.

All my machines 6 of them and more are all backing up at home! I set this up to go off at night to save on electricity etc, with it's own facility to do so and works like a charm. A big point here, is that I am not network guru, so if I can use this and set it up properly anyone can! I have to read the 96 page manual end to end to learn about the extras! But that in itself should tell you how much this can do! If only everything was as easy to set up as this in life!

Excellent work D-LINK, good customer service/tech support, well done! Finally, looks slick and amazing! (Tiny too). First D-Link product, but I don't think that will be the case for much longer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 30 May 2012
With a small home network and plans to extend to include a Smart TV and video streaming, I wanted an inexpensive and simple way to consolidate all my main media files in one place and maintain a strong backup regime. So I purchased the D-Link ShareCenter and another hard drive to match the one that had all my music and photo files on and away I went. Backed up the data on the existing drive, installed the two drives in the NAS, set them up as mirrored RAID 1 drives, copied the data back to one and, hey presto, centralised, duplicated media centre. The GUI only works with Windows, so sits on my XP box but the data is available to my Linux desktop and Linux laptop. Still working on the other capabilities of the box. Have set up P2P for overnight downloads of torrent files. The Web server is making my head hurt at present, but that is more to do with my router and my ISP than the NAS. I chose this product as an inexpensive toe in the water on a whole new way of home networking and it is working just fine. Very pleased with the outcome so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cost-effective storage solution, 26 Aug. 2011
Summary
Right now I am really, really pleased with this purchase, I have had it a couple of weeks and think this is possibly the best thing I have EVER bought (but it will be something else in a couple of weeks time). It does exactly what I wanted it to do, it is much quieter than I expected and installation was easy. I see some other manufacturers are beginning to match the low price, but at the time I purchased; this was by far the most cost-effective answer to get 4TB of storage all in one place.

Buying Reason
I bought this NAS drive because I need additional storage for music and video files and I want to share these on my network which has 3 PCs connected. I currently have a Media-Centre PC which serves this purpose, but the current 2TB HD is full, there is no room for expansion in the small form-factor PC so external storage is the only option.

My current PC has Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. There is a limit to the size of HD that can be installed on 32bit Windows which effectively limits you to 2TB, again reinforcing the choice to get an external device. I have external USB drives which I use for back-up and these suffer from the same 2TB Win32 limit (as an internal drive) and tend to be slow (USB2 not USB3) noisy and messy (cables & PSUs) in the area of the PC (which is under my TV) so again not really a desirable option.

My Reason for selecting a NAS was to overcome all of these problems, a good NAS can use RAID 0 (stripe) protocols to format 2 drives and use them as if they are one huge drive (in my case 2x2TB = 4TB) and use its own operating system to address them (overcoming the WIN32 2TB limit problem), the device can be located away from TV/PC at my router so no noise/clutter in the living room, and transfer rates should be as good-as or better than USB2 (I hope).

I had a LaCie NAS some years ago (when 500GB HDDs first became available) and it was expensive, slow and noisy - I did not want a repeat of this, so was pretty careful about my choice.

Selection
Selection of the Dlink Share Centre Pulse 2 was mainly down to price, and that it could use RAID 0 to create a 4TB drive from the 2x2TB drives I intended to install. Additionally reading the reviews on Amazon convinced me that this unit should fit the bill and be reasonably user friendly.
I chose to fit 2 Hitachi 2TB HITACHI COOLSPIN HDS5C3020ALA632 Internal 3.5 SATA Hard Drives as I was able to get them for £50 each, and could find no reports of them having compatibility problems with NAS drives as some other drives do if you read the reviews.

Delivery
As usual with Amazon - perfect / on-time

Installation
Slotting the two drives in was easy and required no tools. Power the unit-up, pop-in the CD to the PC and following the instructions formatting was easy, though in my case the Dlink only recognised one of the drives and kept bleeping loudly. Using a process of elimination by removing a drive in-turn and trying the working-one in both of the Dlink's slots I was able to ascertain that one of my two drives was faulty. (Nothing wrong with the NAS)

While waiting for the warranty replacement HDD to arrive I used the Dlink with no problems as a one HDD device. When the second drive turned-up, I fitted-it, typed in the URL of the Dlink to enter the management software via my browser and was asked if I wanted to reformat the drives. I chose RAID 0/stripe to format as one big 4TB drive. This took around 15 mins and I now have a huge drive attached to my network.

Usage
NOISE - The unit (with the HDDs I installed) is really quiet. It sits on a cupboard next to my router behind my desk and I cannot hear it working. So the combination of the Dlink and the Coolspin drives is perfect!

SPEED - As a test I transferred some full 1080p video to the drive - transfer was acceptably fast. I then played this video across the network. There were no issues with playback - no pauses, no pixilation. Perfect!

MANAGEMENT - The browser based management utility is easy-enough to use if you have ever managed a router in the same way. If it's your first time you may find it a little confusing, but will soon get used to it. As with a router you soon bin the installation CD and just manage it through the browser. No issues.

Would I Buy Again?
The ultimate test - would I buy another Dlink NAS - YES without hesitation, I am already considering buying another purely for backup purposes. It really is a great NAS (if you select good HDDs to go inside)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for his money, 5 Jan. 2012
Mihai L (Bucharest, Romania) - See all my reviews
The product was delivered incredibly fast (ordered on 25th of December, on 28th early morning it was handed over the carrier and it was delivered at 11:00 on 29th!!!).
My primary needs was to relieve my primary PC from too many harddrives and also to share/backup data in a small home network.
It is OK for his price, the harddrives shall be inserted without any cables, relatively easy to setup (the best way is to connect the NAS to laptop/PC by network cable supplied and use the managing application from CD to discover it and set it). I didn't managed yet to use p2p alone (the download didn't started, but I'm searching for solutions). Maybe some more applications will be helpfull.
The security it's easy to setup (users/groups/protocols/shares); the Yahoo widget is nice to use it (you can check the status easily).
Not so noisy, but the fan it seems that have just 'three' positions (off, low and high); just for heavy transfers it's starting using high. D-link has also an emulator for it, you can see the entire management of the box here: [...] (no password).
The transfer rate seems to be acceptable (around 20-24 MBps for writing using a 5 ports Gb switch).
A nice surprise - it comes with two power cables: UK and Europe.
Later edit: I've succeeded with the p2p transfer (it was filtered in my router, the NAS wasn't defined for having access). But... it seems to be limited to 5MBps (40Mbps) download for p2p, even my connection can take usually up to 80-90 Mbps. I've tried even to set a higher limit (other than -1=unlimited), but no changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best you can get for under £100, 17 April 2012
I needed a second NAS and was looking for one under £70, this was proving difficult until I came across this DNS 320, I wanted to get another Netgear Duo but I decided to give the Dlink ago as its 3 times cheaper. I was a little worried about build quality, transfer speeds and overall functionality.

I'm glad I went for this NAS, at £51+ Its a real bargain, setting the NAS up is very easy, just use the installation cd for the initial setup which takes about 5minutes.

After that I put in 2x2TB WD Green drives in a none RAID configuration, compared to the netgear the build isn't as good but its not bad either, considering how cheap the NAS is the build quality is fine.

The other thing I was a bit concerned about was the transfer speeds, on avg my netgear gives me 18mb/s write and 30+ read. I was shocked when I saw this writing at 23mb/s and reading at near 40mb/s. That's simply awesome considering my netgear costs £130 and is on avg 4mb/s slower.

People have complained about the noise, to be honest its not loud at all unless you have it set to high, and there simply is no need to have it on that setting, I've currently got it on Auto off/low/high, its not once gone past the low setting.

Overall I'm very happy with this NAS and in my opinion is the best you can buy for under £100

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect solution for a home document server, 13 Mar. 2011
Exactly as expected. plugged 2x2Tb samsung drives into the unit, set up disc mirroring. Mapped a drive to it from all the PCs/laptops in the house. Copied all the files off the local PCs, now all the files can be accessed from every PC.

Liked it so much I bought another one to use as a backup server, configured as 2 x 2Tb volumes

browser based user interface is ok once you learn how to navigate it.

In terms of data copying performance, I maxed out the 100Mbit LAN connection, so the unit will handle all you can throw at it, haven't tried Gb lan connection.

Things to be aware of:
1. drives go into standby after 5 minutes inactivety by default, this is fully configurable and you should increase is to 15-30 minutes as it can make disc access a bit sluggish
2. Unit crashes if you try to format 2 x 2Tb drives as individual volumes, easy solution, format one remove it and format the other, job done
3. backup application is not very easy to use

Minor niggles for a great product

5.0 out of 5 stars Good shared drive solution, 3 Jun. 2011
I bought this device to provide storage for my photos and other data, so that they could be accessed from different computers around the house. It does this job very well. Although the outer case is plastic, there is an internal metal cage and the drives simply slot in to the SATA connectors. Overall, the construction seems pretty solid. There is also an external USB port to transfer data from external drives or memory sticks. The local computer immediately recognised it as a 1Gbit/s Ethernet device, and the other computers connect by wi-fi, through a wireless router.

Initially, I installed one 1.5TB disk and everything worked perfectly. I then added a second disk and had thought I might set up a RAID1 array but, after some web reading, realised I wanted the second disk to work as a backup. The built-in software automatically does an incremental backup at a set time each day, and meets my need exactly. It is worth installing the updated firmware version 2.00 from the web, as the user interface is much better.

I have not used the advanced features (web server, etc) but, for my purposes, it has proved an excellent solution at reasonable cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very understated NAS, 5 Sept. 2011
I have had several diferent NAS drives over the years many makes. This is the first one that i would consider to be reliable. Its always there! Others i have had have dropped out on doing large file transfers. But the DNS-320. I now have 2 of these in my network removing the need for the other make ones. The features like itunes server and FTP server come in handy so often i wonder what i would have done with out it. No matter where I am in the world if i have and internet connection i can upload my files and photos to my NAS. Then when i am home i can access the photos my home computer with the need for USB sticks or turning my laptop on and performing a file transfer. I now store all my documents on my NAS rather than on the computer I am using as if i pull out my laptop to its just as easy to connect to the file on any computer i have that has the log in details the the FTP server. One other thing due to the 1000mps connection speed access at home to the NAS is no difference to loading from the computer you are on either by direct cable or via 300mps wireless N draft. Well done dlink!!!! And supporting 4tb accross 2x2tb drives is excellent!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›