5.0 out of 5 stars read in 5 hours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I stated reading this in the super market with my mum, I had read 30 pages before we reached the checkouts I just couldn't put it down when you turn a page you think you must do something else but you cant.This book in-grosses you to carry on reading !!!

AMAZING! AMAZING!
Published on 23 Jan. 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit Classist, Sexist and Anti-Aspirational
I have just read this out loud to my seven-year-old daughter. She thought it was a good story, very funny, and she has requested more books by the same author. While I enjoyed the list of sounds that you don't want to hear in the toilet (....such as an approaching wrecking ball...), there were some aspects of the book that I found a bit iffy.

There are regular...
Published 4 months ago by Arachne202

5.0 out of 5 stars read in 5 hours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 23 Jan. 2011

AMAZING! AMAZING!

5.0 out of 5 stars be prepared to extend your bedtime reading window!, 18 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Billionaire Boy (Hardcover)
There have been many books that we have read together at bedtime that the kids did not want to stop when it is time for "lights off". However, ther have been far fewer that I willingly carried on ploughing through - too good to put down.
My 7 year old could not get enough of this and has twice asked to have it reread (have not given in yet but I know I will soon.) The truth is that the bed time reading slot rolled on two nights in a row - afterwhich the book was finished.

It is a simple enough story about a family whose life changes thanks to his father's breakthrough product - wet and dry loo paper which brings in the pennies. Sadly the huge increase in family cash results in his parents' divorce and Joe becoming a very spoilt but singularly unhappy 12 year old. Yes, he has everything except friends.

What makes this book stand out is the peppering of humour that appeals to adults - ensuite bathrooms to the ensuite bathrooms.... There are touches of the kind of cringe worthy embarassment faced by Saphy in Absolutely Fabulous. Added to this are the simple black and white illustrations which kept my 3 year old interested too (though I doubt she understood the whole story and became a bit concerned about Joe's school uniform at his posh school.)
Joe and his dad find themselves in one difficult situation after another but as you might expect - the key message is that money does not buy happiness - something that cannot be re-iterated enough in today's materialistic society.
You won't regret buying this, it will be read again and again...an instant classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars funny and inventive, 6 May 2012
This review is from: Billionaire Boy (Paperback)
This is the second David Walliams children's book I've read, and I must admit I thought at first that he was just trying to cash in on his fame by writing them, but actually they are well-written and have a style of humour that appeals to children. I like that he writes about real difficulties children face (divorced parents, bullying, etc) in a way that is compassionate and emotionally honest but at the same time really crazy and funny. I think he has a real talent and I look forward to reading my children more of his books.

The reason I've given 4 instead of 5 stars is that I felt that the look and difficulty level of this book seems to pitch it at children around 7-9 years old, but some of the subject matter was a bit too old for that age group, e.g. fancying girls, dad going out with a gold digging glamour model, plastic surgery, etc, and my 7 year old got bored with some bits or didn't understand others. So I'd suggest if your child is under about 10, you might want to flick through the book first before reading it to your child or letting them read it.

Where I think this book would be great is for encouraging older children (eg 10-13 yr olds) who are reluctant readers or have below average reading ability, as the subject matter would be fine for that age group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, 21 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Billionaire Boy (Hardcover)
Its a very funny book that all ages will love.Its perfect for ages 7+ and if your family ever want an entertaining story,this is the best choice to have.A classic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Billionaire Boy, 23 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Billionaire Boy (Hardcover)
I am a 7 year old boy and I got this book for Christmas.

I enjoyed this book because although it was sad and had heart breaking moments it was a brilliant story. I thought the characters were good especially Bob who was a good character in the book because he always believed in Jo who was his friend (the billionaire boy). I have also read Mr Stink.

5.0 out of 5 stars Billionaire Boy (BRILLIANT BOOK!!!), 11 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Billionaire Boy (Hardcover)
I would recommend it for 6-11 year olds.

I am 10 1/2 and It is a very easy read although the book seems thick, the actual text is quite big.

It's a funny book but there are some sad bits, there is no horror in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oliver's review age 8, 6 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Billionaire Boy (Hardcover)
I started reading this book yesterday evening and I've just finished it. (one day later). I thought it was really good, very funny and fast paced. I couldn't put it down as I needed to know how it ended. It's about a boy Joe,who has everything, except friends, he attends a posh private school where everyone is either the son of Prince Charles or extremely rich. They have ridiculously posh lessons such as talking about who is the best friend of Prince Charles and going around for an hour with their noses in the air. The moral of the story is that money can't make you friends or give you a cuddle. I really enjoyed this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars i like this book, 27 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Billionaire Boy (Hardcover)
the book is called billionaire boy.my favourite characters are Joe,Bob,Mr Spud,lauren and raj.It was fun to read and now I have a billion pound note

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Billionaire Boy (Paperback)
My son read this in primary school and loved it and he asked me to buy it for him .As my son never liked reading I was very shocked as this is the first book he's ever asked for. I now have read the book myself and it's really good and now I know why he likes it so much. So a big pat on the back for David Walliams someone has finally got my 12 year old to read books. A FANTASTIC PURCHASE.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all children!, 3 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Billionaire Boy (Hardcover)
Well my 8 year old son has just read Billionaire Boy in 2 days by himself, he absolutely LOVED it! I have never seen him read a novel so quickly and he was so animated when he was telling us all about it, its clearly highly entertaining and engaging but with an important message as I found out when I asked him what he had learnt from reading the book, his reply - "well money doesnt always make you happy and money doesn't buy you friends or cuddles" which considering my son is only 8 I was very impressed that Mr Walliams was able to get such an important message across in his book, especially in this materialistic world!

So very high praise indeed from me and my son.

Billionaire Boy