4.0 out of 5 stars Edgar Revisited
I first read Edgar Wallace in my (many years ago) teens and thrilled to the exploits of The Four Just men and of the Sanders of the River stories.
Revisiting Wallace recreates the pleasure of my first encounters with his heroes. I am enjoying this purchase enormously.
Published on 10 July 2012 by Bystander

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts . . .
Published 14 months ago by Westham

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Edgar Revisited, 10 July 2012
This review is from: The Edgar Wallace Collection: 26 Novels and Short Stories (Unexpurgated Edition) (Halcyon Classics) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Go Wrong, 21 April 2013
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
At the current price for this you are getting a good bargain here, with something that you can't really go wrong with. This is only a short selection of his works as such, he was such a prolific writer, but there is more than enough for you to get your teeth into here. Londoner Edgar Wallace is I believe the author with more of his books made into films than any other author before or since, which just goes to show why he was so popular and so many of his works still remain in print.

Perhaps in some places dated but that doesn't really matter, as these are still loads of fun to read. Ideal to read a book here or there this collection should give you hours and hours of reading pleasure, that you will want to come back to time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ripping Yarns, 4 Nov. 2012
Elaine Tomasso (Troon. Uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I haven't read Edgar Wallace since I got The Joker and The Forger in my Christmas stocking 30+ years ago so I bought this out of curiosity. It's brilliant - tales of derring-do where the goodie gets the baddie and the girl. At the price this is a steal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts . . ., 8 Jan. 2014
Westham (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
Discovered that it was Edgar Wallace, not Raymond Chandler, who first used the phrase "mean streets". What else was good? Well, to my amazement I loved the Sanders of the River stuff, particularly its staggering absence of anything in the way of political correctness. No doubt the works will cease to be unexpurgated in the near future - so sad! What else can I say? Well, none of the plots would fool our cat and they can be embarrassingly kitsch, naive . . . can't think of the word. He also seems to have only one heroine in all of the 26 works - she's a nice-enough girl mind, if thick (I think she's abducted about eighteen times - I mean, even I could see it coming). In one story, however, Mr Wallace is entirely believable and really interesting: he's talking about gambling at the time - wish he'd talked about it more often.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edgar Wallace collection, 4 Dec. 2013
I like this collection of Edgar Wallace novels. They are very good value and a very good read. Thank you Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a bargain, 21 Nov. 2012
R (Jasper, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
I am revisiting Edgar Wallace since he exploded on me as a youth. I've just started with Four Just Men and am reminded of his unwordy style; easy reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Like Wallace. Hate the rip-off., 13 May 2014
M. Angus (UK) - See all my reviews
All these and more stories by Wallace and many other out-of-copyright authors are available free online at Roy Glashan's Library, Project Gutenberg and other public domain eBooks sites. They are made by volunteers for anyone to enjoy at no cost. Sellers get copies and put them up for sale with different covers, thus taking a greedy advantage of the work of others and unwitting buyers. Don't fall for it. Look around before you waste your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Edgar due for a revival, 14 April 2014
The imaginative writings of Edgar Wallace are due for a revival. Writiten in the 1940s and 1950s his fast moving thrillers can still grip. This is the man who wrote the screenplay for King Kong so he knows how to spin a great yarn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edgar Wallace, 15 Feb. 2014
Having read a lot of Edgar Wallace years ago,I am enjoying revisiting some of the stories I have read before, as well as some that I have'nt.

4.0 out of 5 stars well written books and representative of the era, 28 Dec. 2013
A good subject range and easy to read. The heros are likable and not dissolute like Bulldog Drummond who is typical of the sort of person who gave the British a bad name

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›