on 9 September 2011
I've used a previous iTrip with my iPhone4 and found it to be very effective - however the previous model that I used required the phones charging cable AND an audio connecting cable to be connected to the phone. This new model uses only the wide "charging" connector in the bottom of the phone (or iPod Touch) and doesn't required a separate audio lead which is much more useful. You now also don't need the Apple USB lead and can leave that in the house.

The cigarette lighter unit is small and compact and has illuminated buttons on the top for "Last Track", "Next Track", and "Play/Pause". Helpfully once it's all connected up you can start music playing by pressing "Play/Pause" on this unit rather than having to wade all the way through to iTunes on the phone.

When using it as an FM Transmitter (which you need to do if your car stereo doesn't have an "Aux In" socket - and if you're using it this way you can completely disconnect the audio cable which is shown in the picture of the device) a free App on the iPhone/iPod is used to find and select a broadcast frequency - this works really well.

I've knocked a star off because the design of the plug which goes into the cigarette lighter socket caused me to short-out the socket and blow a fuse in my car - £2.69 at Halfords for a packet of replacement fuses I had it all working. The plug has its side contacts very close to the bottom, much closer than the similar plug for my SatNav for example, and if you push it in too far and are unlucky it'll short out. It could just be the particular design of the socket in my vehicle - who knows!
on 26 September 2011
Please note - this item requires an application to be downloaded to be able to change channels. It works fine with Iphone or Ipod touch, but is no good for a normal IPod.
on 24 November 2011
After downloading the iTrip app from the iTunes store through my computer, I went to my car and had my iPod Touch playing music through the car FM radio in under five minutes. The iTrip app finds empty wavelengths in seconds, and then I stored the best on my radio on one of the push buttons, so that starting listening is a simple matter. The sound is just as good as playing a CD, and considerably better, of course, than listening to FM radio.

I wonder if some of the problems people have had with some of the Griffin iTrip models is something to do with the car or the car radio.

I would strongly recommend this to anyone. Now I can set up a playlist that will play for the whole of a long journey. Great.

Note added later: I still think it's very good, but what I hadn't realised was just how difficult it is to find a wavelength that will be OK for a journey of one or two hundred miles, you very soon move into an area where the wavelength that was empty when you started out comes into use. The list of UK FM transmitters at [...] is a great help, because you can see fairly easily if you're driving from, say, Cambridge to Nottingham, which will be the empty wavelengths for the entire journey. 87.7 FM in this case. The list is 30 pages long, but I've imported it into Excel and re-sorted it, and it's now very easy to use.

But what would be really good would be if the kit could do it for you: detect when a 'real' station is breaking in and switch to another empty wavelength. How about it, Griffin? I'll give you that idea for free.
on 20 November 2011
This is a remarkably simple product. Download the ITrip app from the app store (very small) and once plugged into the Iphone (mine is a 4s) or an Ipod Touch (Mine is a 4) then it fires up, chooses three low contention frequencies and, once your car radio is tuned in to that frequency, you are away. The whole setup process took less than 5 minutes. I have only used it on a few shortish journeys since then and experienced no interference, sound quality is pretty good and, frankly, you have to listen quite hard with the car stationary to hear any background noise. I can see that in a suburban environment interference may be a problem. Overall - excellent.
on 19 November 2011
I had been searching for a device to enable me to play music from my phone through my car speakers, also enabling me to change track/song without having to fiddle with my iphone touchscreen whilst driving, every time i wanted to do so.

This product has next track/fastforward,last track/rewind and play/pause buttons ontop of the bit that plugs into the 12v socket, so depending on where your socket is located this can be quite useful, as it is for me.

Not only does it allow for the main features I originally wanted it for, but it also charges the phone and makes use of the dock connection for playing music (better sound quality music from dock connection than through headphone jack).

There are then two options for playing music. It can transmit music to a radio frequency, which will play the music once tuned into, on the car stereo. A free app has to be downloaded to do this, but it gives an interface to control it all from. Or if your car stereo has an aux input, you can use the supplied aux cable to link the bit that plugs into the 12v socket to the car stereos aux input. I prefer the aux cable method as my aux input is right next to the 12v socket and theres no worry of possible interference from other radio signals.

The only thing id point out which may become a problem (iv not had it long) is the bit that plugs into the 12v socket did become a bit hot during use. But compared to other similar products I found this was the best by far. :)
on 4 March 2014
I'm on my second one of these which has just stopped working. The wiring connected to the plug unit is easily dislodged/loosened\broken. However, when it works, it works well, I am able to fast forward, rewind and pause without taking eyes off the road. I use it with an iphone 5 with an adaptor. Now I'm considering whether to buy a third. If it wasn't for the delicate wiring I would give this product 5 stars.
on 10 May 2013
Excellent product near idea having play pause rewind ff on the top of the plug that goes into the car battery charger. I am using it for my iPod classic but used my iPhone with the Itrip app which has the smart scan facility to find the best signal from your FM radio receiver. For those peeps who don't have an aux input in their car this is a great product
on 26 January 2012
I was looking forward receiving this since my volvo s40 has a great sound system but no AUX or bluetooth connection to connect my iphone4.
Setup was a matter of few minutes, simply download the app on iphone, find unused frequency and off you go.
I was mainly interested if this will only work with music files on iphone or literally any app. To my great surprise it will transfer any sound from any app, except telephone conversations (which I was hoping it would do). Living in West London one is often stuck in stand-still traffic and this provides a great way of watching bbc/sky news and finally hearing what they say! :) I also occasionaly use satnav on my iphone so the sound from it now goes through my car stereo.
Overally - very satisfied.
on 27 December 2011
first review for me .last year i brought a cheaper version of this product and it was ok .but this piece of kit is the best thing .i am using it with my iPod touch 4th gen .you have to down load a free app and that's you way that it connects to your iPod a very easy thing to do the clarity is superb . the plug that goes into your 12v socket has a fwd and rev and pause button on it which lights up . my son has watched a movie while i have been driving.which is neat .because the sound track comes through the car stereo .and the sound is just great .i think if you own a iPod but your car stereo does not have usb port this is the best thing in my mind it is the dogs bo**ocks a great price for i neat bit of kit
on 7 February 2013
Brilliant bit if kit. Paid around £25 for it on Amazon, its around £40 from the Apple store. The iTrip charges your iPhone from your cig lighter in car. Your 3.5mm audio lead connects to the bit that charges in your car cig lighter and then to your cars Aux port (mine is low down near to the gear stick) so it's a lot tidier. There is control of Play,Pause foward and back on the unit, which is handy rather then messing with iPhone screen. I recommend using the Griffin Window mount with this as it has an inbuilt cable tidy on its rear that hold the charger in place. I've fixed mine to my dashboard just in front of the CD player (don't use CD's anymore) and the whole thing is very stable.