5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!
Set in New York, the novel is about broken families in the final years of the second world war. All the characters are well drawn, and I found myself becoming more and more involved in their lives and sorrows. Yet there is joy, growth, warmth and love in this well-written book.

Published on 12 Oct 2011 by sanderella

Published on 7 Oct 2011 by Roroblu's Mum

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, 12 Oct 2011
This review is from: While We're Far Apart (Kindle Edition)

I was particularly happy to read of the relationship between the Jews and non-Jews of New York City. It was lovely to enter the synagogue and homes of the Jewish people. I had never thought before of how much the 'free' Jews of the world suffered, knowing about the appalling happenings in Europe, and unable to do anything about it.

The novel is also a romance of unrequited love between the heroine and the father of the children she is caring for. The stories of several lives run through the novel. I am so glad I read it.

And it is FREE on Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving,well researched, humane, life affirming, 25 Oct 2011
This review is from: While We're Far Apart (Kindle Edition)
I loved this. It was well written and well researched with rounded believable characters. It made a nice change to have a book with a religious element based in the Orthodox Jewish community, and a refreshing reminder that the label attached to a faith is less important than the actions of the individual.

But all that makes it sound too worthy, and that does the book a disservice. This is a cracking read on many levels. I really empathised with the characters even though their lives and stories were so different to mine. It was a real page turner with realistic character development. It made me cry on the tube several times with its sensitive handling of loss, grief, mourning and the human realities of the Holocaust, and yet managed (improbably) to maintain an atmosphere of love, humour, forgiveness and hope.

How can something so good be free? Snap it up free if you can, but even if you have to pay, it will be worth it. I will definitely be buying more of this authors work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another 'faith' freebie, with not only Christianity but Judaism in this one. Not my thing, but the underlying tale is......., 7 Oct 2011
Roroblu's Mum "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: While We're Far Apart (Kindle Edition)
....decent enough, but depressing and hard on the emotions. I would avoid reading this tale if at this time of year you suffer from SADS, as there is very little that is uplifting about it for most of the way through. But it is not a bad book, despite this, as it is well-written. I'm also not a fan of novels with strong religious themes, and had I known this before starting, I would probably not have downloaded it.

There is a brilliant synopsis from amazon, so I won't repeat that, but for me this tale started off with me thinking 'what a selfish b******' when the widowed father enlisted for WW2 duty in Brooklyn in late 1943. I could understand that he was struggling with coping with two young children following the death of his wife a year ago, but there wasn't a thought for either of them, nor for his elderly mother who made it clear that she was beyond raising children at her time of life. He still went, but it wasn't out of a sense of duty, more a means of escape and keeping his mind and body busy.

So the children who were still reeling from their mother's sudden death now had to deal with the loss of their father, and would undoubtedly have been affected by the rejection - albeit not a cruel one, just a practical one - from their gran, and then having to deal, in the young teen female's case, with an adult that she does not like and that she resents.

Then we had to deal with Penny who steps in to take the children in, allowing them to live in their own apartment - she has been abused, as has her sister, by their parents, so she had issues whilst trying to cope with the kids, and loving their absentee father.

Then we have the Jewish landlord railing at God for taking his wife, but has hopes that he will be reunited with the son of whom he has no news.

I could see these lives actually being lived in the war, which was a depressing time of much hardship, and yes, there is a history lesson in it, but it was wearing and towards the end, I found myself skim-reading. In hindsight, I should have left it when I realised it was so glum - it made me think of long winter days when the sun doesn't even come out - but at the same time, I was drawn into an era that I'm glad I didn't live in. It is humbling, but again, overwhelmingly, IMHO, depressing.

5.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable read, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: While We're Far Apart (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book , a very quick insight to the Jewish religion and the 2nd world war from a number of perspectives .
I really warmed to all the characters, the book is only as deep as you choose to make it it is a light hearted love story set during the war or with a little extra thought/research it can offer you some historic insights .
one of the best free books i have read so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars A highly recommended read!, 15 Nov 2014
Fiona Peters (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: While We're Far Apart (Kindle Edition)
What a wonderful book, set in Brooklyn in the 2nd world war, but focussing more on the lives of those waiting to hear about their loved ones. The main characters are 2 children whose mother has died, and whose still grieving father decides to enlist, leaving them in the care of a young neighbour who has been downtrodden by her elderly parents all her life. Peter is traumatised by his father's decision and loses the ability to speak.
The book does not shirk the issues of how God can allow war and suffering to go on, and does not give any pat answers, but eventually the children and the adults who love them see how good can come about despite all the loss of lives and the horrors of war. Much of the scripture lessons come from the elderly Jewish landlord who becomes a substitute grandfather to the children, he has lost faith when his wife died in the same accident that killed the childrens mother, but does not want to disillusion Esther and Peter, in retelling the bible stories he finds that God may still be with him after all.
Penny, their young carer, finds that she is not the useless 'green bean' her parents have dubbed her and although the children resent her, when they find that she genuinely cares for them, they start to open up more to her.
All the various strands of the book come together beautifully at the end and we find out the fate of all those missing loved ones.
A book to be savoured, I can see myself re-reading it at some point.

4.0 out of 5 stars really enjoyed it, 27 Oct 2011
This review is from: While We're Far Apart (Kindle Edition)
A good read. I felt the characters were well drawn, 3d people who I grew to knew over the course of reading it. Despite the rather bleak backdrop of the war and the personal tragedies the characters faced there was plenty of uplifting and enjoyable storytelling too. I cried towards the end - it's been a long time since a book moved me to tears.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read, 19 Oct 2011
This review is from: While We're Far Apart (Kindle Edition)
I actually enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. Yes some of the endings were predicatable but it was so interesting to hear about lives in the war and I didn't find the religious part of the story shoved too far down my throat. Far from depressing I thought it captured how hard it must of been for families waiting to hear from loved ones far away from home and the relief that the end of the war brought. As an english person it was also an eyeopener to hear from an american and hungarian point of view as well. I would recommend this story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking, 19 Oct 2011
This review is from: While We're Far Apart (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book - it gave an insight into the lives of different people from different backgrounds during the war. It offered different perspectives through a spell-binding story that made my daily commute enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book with a great story-line. A GREAT READ., 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: While We're Far Apart (Paperback)
Lynn Austin has become one of my favorite authors, always her books are very informative. She is very knowledgeable and helpful to the readers understanding of the Jewish people.

5.0 out of 5 stars enthrallung story, couldn't put it down, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: While We're Far Apart (Kindle Edition)
A real page turner, waiting to hear what happens to all the characters. A story of courage and belief across religions

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›