5.0 out of 5 stars Witches and elves on the run
The most head-scratchingly complex relationship in the Rachel Morgan series has always been between Rachel and Trent.

And after several books of dancing around the topic, Kim Harrison dives headfirst into the respectful-yet-antagonistic relationship in "Pale Demon." Her ninth Rachel Morgan book is a taut, lean thriller with crackling dialogue and some very...
Published on 23 Feb 2011 by E. A Solinas

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok
I have read all of Kim Harrison's books, and this is probably the first one that I didn't enjoy. Normally I want to read them over and over again, this one didn't do that. I just found the development of Rachel in this book pretty awful and out of character. Some of the feelings she entertained were ridiculously wrong and go all against her heavily stated moral code. It...
Published on 25 Sep 2011 by Juju

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Kim Harrison does it again - keep them coming!!, 31 July 2011
V. Nicholl (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Well done Kim Harrison. I couldn't put this down, but tried to slow myself down because I wanted to make it last. If you have been enjoying the Rachel Morgan series this won't disappoint. Rachel still suffers from her slightly blinkered approach to life (she needs to think more) but is as engaging as ever and you keep on hoping she might just get the Coven of (supposed) Moral and Ethical Standards to rescind her shunning. Getting to the witches conference to do just that is the focus of the book, and naturally the Coven doesn't play fair. As ever, the politics of the situation are just as important as the magic.

What should be a simple flight cross country quickly turns into a world-shaking road trip. Of course it does, this is Rachel Morgan and pals (they keep on blaming her, but I think they should look to their own behaviour, particularly Trent!!). I can't say much more without giving away the plot, but certain questions are answered, new mysteries are hinted at, and there are plenty of surprises, even if you are fairly sure of where the plot is generally heading. I think that is one of the best things about Kim Harrison's writing. Even if she hasn't stated something might be happening, certain things (like with Trent planning certain things) don't come across as 'cheating' because you would expect someone as manipulative, successful, powerful and rich like Trent to be doing exactly that. Also, Harrison has clearly mapped out her world in decent detail, and thought about what might happen if Rachel and co are crossing the country in car. The norms of Cincinnati don't apply everywhere. And therefore the surprises that Rachel and co don't anticipate are surprises for the reader too, again, without you feeling that you've been fed a red herring.

And congratulations to the publishers for finally hitting on this sort of cover. I have never really like the US or UK covers to date. This seems to capture the essence of Rachel to me, and I'm hoping you can start adding in some of the other characters too...

4.0 out of 5 stars Hell is a Cross Country Road Trip, 31 July 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've really had a lot of fun with the Rachel Morgan series and loved a lot of the thoughts and idea's as the series has wound its way into the imaginations of Urban Fantasy readers the world over, but perhaps this has been the best one to date for a little while as you get a large chunk of the cast stuck together on a cross country journey from hell in a car.

It's got everything that the reader could want from smouldering sexual tension to well, just plain smouldering, as the journey's fraught with all types of peril with the worst perhaps being that a number of the car's occupants want to kill each other. Add to this Kim's trademark snark, some great prose and a wonderful sense of pace as this title really does make the time fly by. All in a wonderful addition and one that I absolutely loved. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new direction, 5 Mar 2011
This review is from: Pale Demon (Hollows) (Hardcover)
(This was originally posted on Book Lovers Inc)

WARNING: This is as usual a spoiler-free review for the book. But I make references to previous books in the series, which could be spoilery if you haven't read them. As usual, I try to be as vague as possible. (I hope it still makes sense lol)

Pale Demon is the 9th book in the Hollows series. This series is very close to my heart. I've loved all the books, even the ones which made me cry like a freaking baby (seriously). Pale Demon is now my favorite in this series, it's fantastic and so good I wish I could marry it. (ok ok, I admit... I wish I could marry Trent). If I'd written this review as soon as I'd finished reading Pale Demon, it would probably had started like that: *squuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

So now that I've had time to think upon the book and calm down, here's my review:

*squuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

All the things I love about this series can be found in Pale Demon...but there's also so much more! I devoured the book. It really was impossible to put down. Kim Harrison gave a new breath to this series by opening new roads (lots) and ending a few ongoing side-plots (that had been really dragging on for too long) .

It's no breaking news that I love Trent (hey I even named my E-reader after him). Anyway, Pale Demon gave us a whole new side of Trent. I think I love him even more now, can you believe it? He is a jerk all right, we all know he's ruthless and he even tortured Rachel in the earlier books. He keeps telling her, he'll kill her sooner or later, and still I love him. (I really have a thing for jerks it seems).

The story is very different from the other books in the series, it FEELS different. Well first, it's a roadtrip story, it's a welcomed change of scenery . Can you imagine Trent and Rachel in the same car for days? Ah! Yes obviously it doesn't go smoothly. Pale Demon is action-packed, so many things happen, there's not one boring moment. All my favorite characters are here and most of all AL! Yes AL the demon.

So, okay AL is a demon and he's very violent and tried to kill Rachel so many times I stopped counting, but I really like him. He's fun and complex and a little weird. We learn a lot about him and I can't wait to know what happen next. I was sooooo happy that we get to see a lot more of him and the Ever-After (demon world) . This is the second reason why I loved this book: Kim Harrison gave us a whole new vision of the Ever-After and demons in general. I won't say more because I don't want spoil anything but it ROCKS! I love the demons and I'm thrilled that they appeared in this book.

There were some...weird scenes (I don't know how else to call them) where you could feel that the author was trying to break ties to the past and opening new roads for her characters. I didn't like it much, but at least we know the story will go forward from now on. (or at least I hope so). I haven't always loved Rachel, mostly because she made some serious bad decisions in the past (I wanted to slap her silly SO often in the previous books). Well, she's still making bad decisions but you feel that she's grown up a bit and she's more open-minded than before, I really like her in this book.

I won't say who, but someone gets their HEA in this book. I couldn't be more happy about that. I finished reading the book with a huge smile on my face and I had to go back and re-read some passages that I loved so much. When I said that the book was different from the previous ones, it's also because at the end, everything's possible. It can go one way or another, nothing is set. The ending leaves room for many possibilities and it doesn't feel like a cliffhanger, it feels like a promise. If you are a fan of the series, you will LOVE this book, I promise. If you haven't read this series, I advice you start from book 1, if you start with Pale Demon, I'm not sure you will like it much.

Pale Demon is THE book in the series. It's amazing from start to end. It was worth every minute of my time. I don't think I could possibly love it more. There are so many fantastic secondary characters, you are bound to love at least one. What more can I say? I loved it. I can't wait for the next book. MERCI to Kim Harrison for this amazing book. *fangirl mode off*

I give Pale Demon 5 Bookies (if I could i'd give it even more)

5.0 out of 5 stars you would be wrong - as this installment proves in great and enthralling detail, 17 July 2014
This review is from: Pale Demon (Kindle Edition)
If you thought that Rachel couldn't possibly get into any more trouble, or upset any more powerful entities, you would be wrong - as this installment proves in great and enthralling detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 27 Feb 2011
This review is from: Pale Demon (The Hollows) (Kindle Edition)
I was so desperate to read the latest instalment from Kim Harrison that I bought a Kindle, so that I could read it 3 months before the book was available in the UK. (To be fair, this was not the sole reason for my purchase, but it certainly was a consideration) I am so glad that I did! Pale Demon is wonderfully well written, exploring the relationship between Rachel and Trent, whilst taking Rachel further down the road of discovery as to her true nature. The book is fast paced, a real 'can't put down' - I can't wait for the next instalment and dread the end of this series, which is, in my opinion, the best of its kind around.
If you haven't read any of the Hollows books already, I would advise you to start at the beginning, although it can be read as a stand alone, you miss out on so much of the history to these characters that makes it so great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book so far in a fantastic series., 6 Mar 2011
This review is from: Pale Demon (The Hollows) (Kindle Edition)
Kim Harrison does what so many great authors do and grows her characters. Rachel Morgan gets more interesting the more you read of her and her adventures. The supporting cast is equally brilliant my favourite being Jenks but Trent comes a close second.
This is a great story that has been built on the foundations of a great series. Well worth reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Series going further downhill, 11 Sep 2011
I loved the first 3 books, but the series has been losing its way for a while. Found it extremely difficult to finish this one as it dragged for most of the way. The ending was better than the rest, but it was an effort to get there. It really feels like there's a lot of padding and not much story now and some of the writing feels tired. I keep hoping that it will get better, but very glad that I found this in the library and didn't have to pay for it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›