on 14 September 2010
This book is such an easy read. It delivers a page-turning tale with suspense and drama. This is the story of Dr Anna McIntyre who works in Parklands hospital. First her patient dies because of an identity mix up, then she is accused of writing prescriptions for narcotics which have been forged. With her medical career in tatters around her she realises her private life isn't much better. The identity theft continues with her credit rating ruined and leaves her wondering who to trust. Just as she thinks things can't get any worse she opens an envelope that contains a HIV test with her name on it. And as the book continues the pool of suspects becomes wider and wider.
This is the type of story that you pick up at the end of a busy day to read a few chapters. Before you know it, it's the middle of the night and you haven't been able to put the book down! Read and enjoy.
on 7 September 2011
Nice easy read to pick up and put down with a fairly good plot, and I didn't guess the ending! All jogging along nicely then ...hey ho! a third of the way through out pop the bibles. Not my thing... however the references weren't too instrusive and if it's not your thing you can skip over them without losing the plot.
The product description sums up the plot for you. It is written by a former doctor so the medical terminology looks authentic and I'm sure it is. It is a perfectly decent read, particularly considering that I downloaded it when it was free. However, the theme of identity theft is not unique and is not really an inspiring theme. There are some references to God but it shouldn't bother you if you are an atheist. The author has written several other medically themed books which I haven't read. The plot was rather shallow and the book would have benefitted from some sub-plots with some more interesting characters.
on 26 November 2011
I enjoyed this story, on the whole. It would have got 5 stars, except for the bible and God references. While some of these were inobtrusive, others weren't and because of the latter I found all the references started to grate on me.
On a more positive note, I found the story to be well written and it kept me gripped. I didn't want to put it down until I'd finished it.
on 8 February 2012
Misleading title and grossly too expensive. This book is about the consequences of identity theft one of which is a medical error, but only one. I thought it would be more of a medical thriller than it was but it is still a very enjoyable, easy to read book. As other reviewers have mentioned the `God' thing is a distraction, it feels like the author just threw in a couple of `God' quotes / references to keep someone happy as it really doesn't seem to add anything to the story. This is the equivalent of a paperback you would buy at any airport on your way to a vacation so why Amazon are charging £7.33 for a Kindle version is horrifying. I didn't pay that amount and would have felt cheated if I had. It's a good read but don't pay £7.33 for it.
on 2 September 2011
It is a very easy read, and the early part of the book has some promising features, however it quickly goes downhill. The religious aspect is strained and does not add anything to the book. The end is rushed, unbelievable and disappointing, which is sad as it could have been so much better!
on 20 April 2011
Well I am a fairly new reader, that started late in life and have recently purchased a kindle. This was one of the first books I downloaded as a freebie offer and it was riveting to read. I'm not one for being able to guess the outcome of the plot, but the way this was written,the twists and turns keep you guessing right to the end. Highly recommended.
on 20 May 2012
I got this as a free download, and it was in the main an enjoyable easy read. Having looked at the current price though I would never be tempted to buy the others in the series. I might be if they were in the £2-£3 range however.

The story is interesting if not unique, and had just enough of a whodunnit feel to keep me wondering until the end. It was pleasant to read a story where the characters aren't hopping into bed the minute they meet each other but I think the Christian messages the author is trying to embed in his work need more subtlety. I've read other books where the main characters are Christian, and it just fits naturally as part of the development of the story. Here however the Christian references seem to be shoe-horned in - it almost feels as though the author wrote the story, and then went back and looked for places where he could put in a reference to prayer/trust in God or a discussion of Biblical issues.

With more subtlety these messages would be much stronger, and not jar the reader away from the story.
on 18 May 2015
A light read - which ends when the counter reads 90%. It is about identity theft rather than medical error and a doctor who decides to play detective. There are some good ideas in the book, but the treatment is fairly superficial.
on 28 June 2013
This was a good book, I got it because I love Robin Cooke books, was not as good as ones I have read of his but I'm still glad I read it