4.0 out of 5 stars A good read
Published on 9 Jun 2011 by Avid reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her others
I pickec this up as I love a regency romance, and it was free, but I found the hero and heroine slightly annoying and the concept of the novel slightly outlandish. However something must have clicked, becuase I then bought this author's other novels in this series and they were GREAT, much better, romantic, steamy and feisty non conformist heroines...
Published on 14 July 2011 by Mrs. Vanessa Andreae

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 9 Jun 2011
This review is from: In the Garden of Temptation (The Garden Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I decided to give this book a try as I am always looking for a good romance story and this book was a very reasonable price. I liked the relationship between the "hero and heroine", though I would have liked it even more if the author had spent more time on developing the relationship between them, as it seemed to progress a little too quickly. But regardless, it was a good story, and I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys romance novels. Four stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BOOK, TRASHY COVER, 21 Jun 2012
Carol 'avid little bookworm' (LEEDS, Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Yes, if you can get past it, the trashy cover hides a thoroughly enjoyable read that I have no hesitation in recommending if you like a good romance.

Catherine has been sold into a loveless marriage to the unscrupulous Baron Bourgeault, who is somewhat of an outcast in society due to his behaviour. He is arrogant, rude and cruel and leads Catherine a dog's life; he buys, and demands she dresses in trashy (yes that word again!) outfits whilst he parades her in front of an array of random gentlemen he invites to their home, a dilapidated castle.

The Earl of Ashworth, Adam Stanford, the complete antithesis of Bourgeault, arrives at the castle on a bogus invitation from the Baron. He immediately realises this invitation is not genuine, but cannot fathom why he's really there.

After six years (if my memory serves me), tied to the beastly Baron Bourgeault, Catherine quickly falls in love with Adam, and he with her, but there's a huge challenge to be overcome if they are ever to be together; especially with additional characters like Lady Ashworth, Adams mother. Other good characters in this novel as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars In the garden of temptation, 21 May 2011
Wow, what a book. The grpping storyline meant once I'd started I couldn't stop reading until I found out what happened at the end. A gorgeous love story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by it's cover, read it!!, 27 Jan 2012
I got this book for my kindle because it was free and looked like it might be an 'alright' read, but I was mistaken!!It was really good!! I loved this book!! Its front cover looks like it might be a bit trashy but it wasn't. The story was engaging and compelling, and I didn't find it at all predictable. I found myself in love with the couple and willing them to succeed and find a happy ever after. I would not hesitate to recommend this to my friends and I may just keep it on my kindle to read again!! I'm off now to see what else Cynthia Wickland has written.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her others, 14 July 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit different from the norm', 4 Oct 2011
I found this story an enjoyably intriguing read because of the adultery theme. In the majority of period stories I've read, the couple don't consummate their relationship until the inconvenient spouse is out of the way. I just had to keep reading to find out how this would be resolved. I didn't think the relationship particulary romantic and at times I had more sympathy for the "bad" Baron. He was obviously tormented by some dark secret and at times Catherine came across as cold and unfeeling.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 24 May 2011
It's difficult to say how I feel about this book. I'm sure it's because of the adultery theme that I find hard to stomach. That is why I couldn't see the chemestry between the two characters and relate to them. How very convenient that the husband is portrayed one sidedly, as such a horrible person, and there's little to no effort from Catherine to break his wall.
I guess you'd have to read it and make your own opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read, 29 Dec 2011
i have enjoyed reading this book. it was just the right length for relaxing holiday read. the story is pretty straightforward and simple to read. light reading, pleasant experience. story line easy to follow. kinda know what is going to happen from the start but does not stop you wanting to finish the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good easy read., 3 July 2011
This was a good period romance, well written and thoughtful. I thought that the characters were well thought out, their viewpoints and reasoning were well expressed and gave each character a bit of depth. I thought the character of the Baron was excellent, I enjoyed his awful scheming and thought he was a truly awful man yet I also pitied him for his terrible affliction. Catherine I felt was a little shallow, although she had suffered through her marriage and hated being put on display, she was very quick to fall for Adam and let go of her values. Although this was great in terms of the romance it did lessen her character in my estimation, especially as she was fairly open in the affair. The plot was well thought out and there were some good twists, the romance, although very quick to develop was heart felt and believable and I wanted the characters to succeed.
Overall a good light-hearted romance, a perfect way to spend a lazy afternoon, especially at it's current price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 21 Jun 2014
I found this story Thoroughly enjoyable, had to know how it ended! Will definitely be looking for more by the author. Excellent.