5.0 out of 5 stars Perseverence pays off!
Published on 1 Nov 2011 by P. Blunsden

3.0 out of 5 stars Copy paste from Wordpress Codex
I expected a lot more from Wrox to be honest, having bought a mobile development book which was of excellent quality. But this book is mostly just a copy paste and summarise job from the freely available Wordpress Codex. Highly disappointed.

Published on 20 Feb 2012 by brkt

5.0 out of 5 stars Perseverence pays off!, 1 Nov 2011
P. Blunsden (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I'm a beginner at WordPress, and when I first opened this book I thought 'Oh My God' and shut it again! There's so much information and it looks so daunting. When I sat down to read it properly I realised that it's really very good and instructive, and I'm on my way to making a not-too-bad WordPress website. Some of the book is way above my head at the moment, but I'm working on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the bunch, 27 Mar 2011
WordPress is a fantastic blogging tool -Simple, easy and SEO friendly. But there is much, much, more to WordPress. It can be used as a full CMS framework. I have tried several CMS frameworks; none come close to giving you the fast development environment that Word Press can.
Professional WordPress Design and Development is the best book to harness the power of WordPress

If you are like me, you probably want to create your own customised websites, but:

1. You don't want to start from scratch (don't reinvent the wheel - that's already been done).
2. You want to create code modules/plug-in/custom functions that are unique to your site.

You can get 1,000's of WordPress plug-ins from the WordPress site, but if you also want to create your own plug-ins - well this is the book for you. The book teaches you, how to setup WordPress and the processes behind the CMS framework, it then takes you to the point and beyond of creating your own plug-ins and functions.

You can have it your way - you really can!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the bunch, 11 Feb 2011
As the owner of 6+ Wordpress books this by far the best of the bunch. Highly recommended. Comprehensive, logical and precise. No waffle or padding - just the best nuggets very clearly and professionally presented.

3.0 out of 5 stars Copy paste from Wordpress Codex, 20 Feb 2012

I gave it three stars because at least they compiled all the data into one book, so to save mooching around on WP codex for the bits and pieces, and so it can be handy as a quick reference, or if the internet drops!

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice beginners guide but tries to be everything for everyone, 16 Jan 2014
This is a nice beginners guide to WordPress and it's a good entry into that world.

However, the subject matter the book tries to cover is huge as it is trying to explore every aspect of design and development for WordPress in only a few hundred pages. Because of this there is plenty of ground covered but nothing explored to any kind of in depth detail so it isn't much good for anyone looking to specialise in any one area. For example, I am a web designer/developer looking to get into WordPress theme creation and whilst there is enough here to get started there is not enough to really get me going.

Overall this was an ambitious book from the outset and again, its a nice starting point. However, all you need to do is look at the sheer size of the WordPress codex to know that this book was always going to fall far short of what you need it to cover.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 2 Jun 2013
Really a very informative book that introduces you to the core princibles that underpin wordpress. If you have a firm grasp of HTML and basic php this book will have you flying on the Wordpress CMS in no time.

5.0 out of 5 stars From SquareSpace to Wordpress, 24 Mar 2012
This review is from: Professional WordPress (Kindle Edition)
I found this book incredibly helpful to me. The first site I ever built was through SquareSpace, who run a fantastic service and make it very easy for newbies to build a very professional looking site. However for someone who couldn't code very well, there was not a lot of tweeking I could do, so I decided to give Wordpress ago. I had heard a lot of excellent things about Wordpress but when I actually started with it I found myself getting lost very quickly.

So I had a look on Amazon for a Wordpress book and found this one, quite expensive, however if I got the results I was looking for it would be a small price to play. I read the book from front to back in about 3 days and when I came back to actually building my site everything was so much more clear. I obviously still referenced the book during certain periods of the building process and still now that the site is up and running and has been for the past 10 weeks, I still look at the book. So for me it turned out to be very well spent money. My site Techmedia Fusion has gone from strength to strength and I feel it has a lot to do with this book. I would certainly recommend buying the book.

Harry

4.0 out of 5 stars Professional Wordpress: Design and Development, 11 Dec 2011
I recently bought this book and have really enjoyed the book. Though I have not finished the book, the little I have read has greatly assisted me to start using word press to design my site. The book is written in simple english and is easy to follow with clear examples. It is a very good book for beginners and will therefore not hesitate to recommend it to anyone that is interested in learning about wordpress should get a copy of this book.

I did not regret and will not regret purchasing this book. Even though I'm still struggling with some aspect of wordpress, anyone interested can actually visit my site [...] to see the little work I have been able to achieve by reading this book.

To the author, I say keep up the good work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wordpress Development, 30 Oct 2011
Good overall book with reasonable details on the various functions offer by Wordpress. A few more examples of the code would have been helpful but overall a good Wordpress book.

5.0 out of 5 stars good for reference and brushing up on skills, 15 July 2014
good for reference and brushing up on skills, wordpress is ever changing so have to keep up, well recommended

Professional WordPress