5.0 out of 5 stars Manfrotto tripod - Lovely
This is my second Manfrotto tripod. I really like the first but was looking for something slightly different.
The MKC3-H01 is well made and quite sturdy. If you have it fully extended and the centre column up to its highest then it might be a tad less steady, but still very good.

The bit I love is the pan & tilt mechanism and the lock. It's a thumb-wheel...
Published on 29 April 2012 by SMY

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not live up to the Monfrotto brand... yet
I had a certain degree of expectation when ordering this Manfrotto and was looking forward to use it.
Eventually you get what you pay for, and being a Manfrotto, you actually get a bit less as you have to pay for the brand name too.

Published 3 months ago by A. Camilleri

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not live up to the Monfrotto brand... yet, 19 Mar 2014
A. Camilleri - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Manfrotto MKC3-H01 Compact Photo-Movie Kit - Black (Accessory)

It really is a pity to see that such a reputable company having to cut costs in order to remain competitive, as this could backfire on the company itself. I have other Manfrotto tripods bought around a decade ago, and whilst they were not cheap, they did not skimp on quality. True, the movie head alone was 3 times the price of this tripod, yet it is made of metal and offers silky smooth action.

Unfortunately the MKC3 is not very well suited for movies, as the name suggests. Movement is rough, with noticeable uneven friction whilst panning. A considerable amount of pressure needs to be applied (via the wheel) to remove lateral movement (when tripod is supposedly locked for panning).

As for photos, I can only risk using my Canon 7D in the horizontal position. Thankfully I have the FZ200 which is light enough for use at 90 degrees tilt. As other users noted the lower section is better left closed in order to avoid tripod movement when there is a breeze. Yet this would result in a 5 foot tripod. Another observation is that the tripod legs can only be extended to one angle, so its either open or closed.

All is not bad though. I like the lightweight and portability of the tripod. The legs are easy to deploy and lock, much better than the screw type. Hence the 3 star rating.

The Manfrotto MKC3 is a budget tripod with some major limitations. I cannot really recommend it unless you need a lightweight and compact tripod.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 13 May 2013
Lightweight and well constructed but head has a bit of lateral movement when set to pan, which is a bit annoying, more than a showstopper. Good for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manfrotto tripod - Lovely, 29 April 2012

The bit I love is the pan & tilt mechanism and the lock. It's a thumb-wheel! So easy to use and so easy to lock exactly where you want.

There is a little button on the ball joint to change between camera and video-camera. In 'camera' this allows it to swing into portrait where 'video' won't. It's another good and useful feature.

It's quite light and folds down to a nice compact size and fits on the side of the Amazon Basics Backpack for my dSLR perfectly!

My only downside - I forgot I'd looked on Amazon and bought it in a PC shop on offer, but for an extra 17! :'(
At the Amazon price it really is a steal! :-)

Hope you have as much fun as I am . . .

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not good enough., 24 Jan 2013
R. Stonn - See all my reviews
I actually tried it's bigger and more expensive brother in the store before ordering this one on Amazon, I also went by the previous reviews before pulling the trigger.

It arrived quick (thank you Amazon) and was very well packaged (by Amazon as well as Manfrotto), looked quite slick and was not too heavy plus collapsed into a decently small size. I totally saw myself attaching this to the side of my camera bag and taking it where ever I needed to shoot.

The legs open quite smooth and I didnt use the last section (as already described by another review, it's shaky in a breeze) but what finally got to me and made me return this is... the ball head is really really rough.

While I could live with it if it started a bit jerky and then smoothed over, I can't get anything meaningful with it constantly catching randomly in the middle of a pan.

Looks like I will have to spring for it's bigger brother or keep looking. Oh well, at least Amazon has a fantastic return policy.

(If this review helped you, please rate it. Cheers!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy to have, 2 Mar 2012
Mr. M. Regan "THE man in black" (Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This has been a great addition to my ever growing collection of photography/videography stuff. I needed a tripod to use with a small SD card camcorder, something that would take up very little space (or as little as possible) and be light. This ticks all the boxes, it provides a small, easy to carry, compact tripod the extends up to a reasonable height, isn't the sturdiest tripod in the world be to be fair is isn't meant to be. If i wanted a rock solid tripod that has smooth panning operations I will buy one for a few hundred quid, as something to drag around a festival to video local bands then this is great. It also fits in my bikes back box making it much easier to transport. I have a bigger tripod that I use for my DSLR's (Nikon D2x and Fuji S2 Pro) although this has handled the Fuji the Nikon is just too heavy for it, but it isn't meant to take it. This tripod is great for what I bought it for and when I bought it the description did mention that it wasn't meant to take a massive weight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 12 July 2012
G. CAMPOS (Portugal) - See all my reviews
Just got my tripod. Didn't have the chance to use thoroughly yet, but can comment on package and built. And both are soberb! It's own box is so good I kept it not just for storaging, but also for transportation. And its built feels very solid! Never would I say its such an unexpensive item!

I will try to update this review in a few weeks after I have chances to use it extensively (2 long trips ahead!!).

But so far, very happy with this purchase.

Updating (6 months after buying):
Now that I've used it for 6 months I can say a couple of things about it:

1)it's sturdy.
2) never let me down
3) easy to carry and not heavy, even when carrying for many hours attached to my slimbag 200.

Cons side:

1) does not have spikes to get a firmer grip on earth
2) does not have a hook to put extra weight if needed

Anyway, a good tripod. But for the two flows above, I'm taking a star off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Spare clamps, 2 Mar 2013
Ben Griam "Ben Griam" (Sutherland, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I used this for a while and liked it, but then one of the leg clamps broke. I tried to buy a replacement, but Manfrotto will not supply single clamps- only a replacement leg at almost the price of the whole tripod. I thought this very poor service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tripod, 3 Jun 2012
Great tripod for not so big cameras. I use it with a Canon g12 and the camera always remains stable. The head is easy to adjust and the quick release fits perfect

3.0 out of 5 stars A backward step for mankind, 17 July 2013
Robin Blythelord (Plymouth UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this tripod as a replacement for my 785B Modo. Yes, that’s the one which has the badly designed leg clamps which split across the hinge pin, usually just after the warranty has run out.

Mr Frotto describes this Italian designed and engineered but Chinese manufactured tripod as their model replacement for the 785B Modo. Mr Frotto and I obviously have different interpretations of the words ‘model replacement’. It may replace it in their catalogue but it in no way replaces it physically.

The 785B was a splendid tripod, except for the leg clamps fiasco which rendered it useless for anything other than a tabletop tripod. So it really was not splendid I suppose. BUT the pan and tilt head was smooth and silent. There was a leg spread adjustment at the top and a little bubble level. The central column had a lever clamp lock and split into two for low shots. There was even a screwdriver to tighten the quick release plate onto the camera. Above all it was light and small, packed in a suitcase and was reasonably rigid.

The new fella has been stripped of nearly all of these features. No leg spread lock, the center column lever lock has become a thumbscrew, no screwdriver or bubble level (despite instructions telling you how not to clean it). Worse, the pan and tilt head is noisy. It’s the same system as the old one with Photo and Movie settings except the ball that the socket articulates on is textured and makes a grating sound as you pan. As you start to pan there is about 2mm of free play before the actual head turns resulting in a jerk. Maybe a little silicone grease will help here, I shall investigate... I have, it didn’t. The handle is called ergonomic which just means it is vaguely curved to fit anyone’s left or right hand. There is a joint seam running longitudinally which is annoyingly uncomfortable. Some filler here perhaps? I'll see if I can swap heads.

It's called a 'Compact Photo-movie Kit'. Quite where the 'kit' part comes in I do not know. All you get is a tripod, oh and the box. Is that It?

Good points. Well... the head locking rubber thumbwheel is great. An improvement on the two part trigger of the 785B. The leg clips have been beefed up, it’s still light, 1.15kilo, folds up to 45cms and will support 1.5 kilo, which will be OK for my camcorder which is what I want to use it with. Same oval leg tubes and reasonable quality of manufacture.

So, a good little travelling tripod. There is always a trade off between weight and rigidity but this one is not too bad. Early trials indicate that it will do.

Would have liked: all the refinements from the previous model. Come along Mr Frotto, forward steps only please.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class, 25 July 2012
Excellent tripod kit. Looks and feels good. Bought for my new 60D which may be at the top end of the spec for this unit but it will take the 18-135 lens without issue. I still have to try it on the 70-300 lens. Really easy to use and offers good all round movement to get the pictures you want. Well pleased and would highly recommend particularly at the Amazon price.