5.0 out of 5 stars Manfrotto tripod - Lovely
This is my second Manfrotto tripod. I really like the first but was looking for something slightly different.
The MKC3-H01 is well made and quite sturdy. If you have it fully extended and the centre column up to its highest then it might be a tad less steady, but still very good.

The bit I love is the pan & tilt mechanism and the lock. It's a thumb-wheel...
Published on 29 April 2012 by SMY

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not live up to the Monfrotto brand... yet
I had a certain degree of expectation when ordering this Manfrotto and was looking forward to use it.
Eventually you get what you pay for, and being a Manfrotto, you actually get a bit less as you have to pay for the brand name too.

Published 9 months ago by Antoine Camilleri

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not live up to the Monfrotto brand... yet, 19 Mar 2014
Antoine Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Manfrotto MKC3-H01 Compact Photo-Movie Kit - Black (Camera)

It really is a pity to see that such a reputable company having to cut costs in order to remain competitive, as this could backfire on the company itself. I have other Manfrotto tripods bought around a decade ago, and whilst they were not cheap, they did not skimp on quality. True, the movie head alone was 3 times the price of this tripod, yet it is made of metal and offers silky smooth action.

Unfortunately, unlike what the name implies, the MKC3 is not very well suited for movies. Movement is rough, with noticeable uneven friction whilst panning. A considerable amount of pressure needs to be applied (via the wheel) to remove lateral movement (when tripod is supposedly locked for panning).

As for photos, I can only risk using my Canon 7D in the horizontal position. Thankfully I have the FZ200 which is light enough for use at 90 degrees tilt. As other users noted the lower section is better left closed in order to avoid tripod movement when there is a breeze. Yet this would result in a 5 foot tripod. Another observation is that the tripod legs can only be extended to one angle, so its either open or closed.

All is not bad though. I like the lightweight and portability of the tripod. The legs are easy to deploy and lock, much better than the screw type. Hence the 3 star rating.

The Manfrotto MKC3 is a budget tripod with some major limitations. I cannot really recommend it unless you really need a lightweight and compact travel tripod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manfrotto tripod - Lovely, 29 April 2012

The bit I love is the pan & tilt mechanism and the lock. It's a thumb-wheel! So easy to use and so easy to lock exactly where you want.

There is a little button on the ball joint to change between camera and video-camera. In 'camera' this allows it to swing into portrait where 'video' won't. It's another good and useful feature.

It's quite light and folds down to a nice compact size and fits on the side of the Amazon Basics Backpack for my dSLR perfectly!

My only downside - I forgot I'd looked on Amazon and bought it in a PC shop on offer, but for an extra £17! :'(
At the Amazon price it really is a steal! :-)

Hope you have as much fun as I am . . .

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 13 May 2013
Lightweight and well constructed but head has a bit of lateral movement when set to pan, which is a bit annoying, more than a showstopper. Good for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy to have, 2 Mar 2012
Mr. M. Regan "THE man in black" (Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This has been a great addition to my ever growing collection of photography/videography stuff. I needed a tripod to use with a small SD card camcorder, something that would take up very little space (or as little as possible) and be light. This ticks all the boxes, it provides a small, easy to carry, compact tripod the extends up to a reasonable height, isn't the sturdiest tripod in the world be to be fair is isn't meant to be. If i wanted a rock solid tripod that has smooth panning operations I will buy one for a few hundred quid, as something to drag around a festival to video local bands then this is great. It also fits in my bikes back box making it much easier to transport. I have a bigger tripod that I use for my DSLR's (Nikon D2x and Fuji S2 Pro) although this has handled the Fuji the Nikon is just too heavy for it, but it isn't meant to take it. This tripod is great for what I bought it for and when I bought it the description did mention that it wasn't meant to take a massive weight.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the quality expected!, 13 Aug 2014
R. George - See all my reviews
Many of the negative reviews for this item are based around the use of this tripod for video recording and its ability (or lack of) decent fluid panning, sadly I have to say that this tripod is also a poor tripod for photography I am a professional and do own a selection of high end tripods, Manfrotto geared and ball heads alongside Benro & Manfrotto legs fear not this has far from spoiled me! I still appreciate the concept of good value for money this tripod however is not a good example!

I bought the tripod back in January so I've had plenty of experience in using it. I wanted a decent lightweight tripod for non professional use that could be a replacement for the seriously cheap but not very portable Hama tripod I accidentally left in Vietnam last year, believing it would be a nice compromise between video and photo applications when needed with what appeared to be a half decent ball head.

The biggest negative with this tripod from the perspective of stills photography just as with video is the ball head; if you have a DSLR with ANY weather sealing and a lens added on to that which is anything heavier than a light weight prime, prepare for some serious frustration! Precise framing is next to impossible, you simply cannot lock the head into position firstly the way the head locks in place via a friction wheel on the grip is ridiculous for stills use; when tightening the wheel the framing creeps up and when you think you've finally locked it in position; have a long exposure? An exposure bracket? Then be warned it creeps down with the weight of the camera!! I have used this tripod mostly with crop sensor cameras; a Nikon D7000 with a heavier lens for example; a fixed aperture zoom and the head simply couldn't handle them! I also tested out my 5D MKIII minus the battery grip just for overkill testing to see if I was pushed and had no other choice I could use it, of course I could not.

Besides the poorly designed head the legs are unbelievably flimsy the final extensions are very, very weak under the relatively low weight of a D7000 and a 35mm F1.8 the legs bow and flex, I expect better from manfrotto!

Now I can see the argument coming my way; for this price what did I expect!? Honestly a lot more! The Hama tripod I previously mentioned was slightly larger but cost less than half the price of this tripod, the legs had a lot less flex and the head locked in place!! That tripod looking back was extremely good value for money, granted the head when put in portrait wasn't fantastically strong and couldn't support a full frame body in that position at all but landscape; no problem. And the bottom line is: if needed a landscape frame could be cropped to a portrait composition, at least I could frame precisely and get the exact desired shot and marginally lose quality when cropping this simply isn't an option with the Manfrotto when I look at the reputation they have and the fact that their heads are my go to choice for pro level gear I'm extremely disappointed, hell the Hama had spirit levels, a bag and a hook for adding weights. I would not recommend this tripod for use with anything heavier than a mirror-less or compact camera but most of all it's simply not worth the money.

To replace this I'll be getting a MeFoto Backpacker as its been recommended repeatedly as one of the best travel tripods around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 12 July 2012
G. CAMPOS (Portugal) - See all my reviews
Just got my tripod. Didn't have the chance to use thoroughly yet, but can comment on package and built. And both are soberb! It's own box is so good I kept it not just for storaging, but also for transportation. And its built feels very solid! Never would I say its such an unexpensive item!

I will try to update this review in a few weeks after I have chances to use it extensively (2 long trips ahead!!).

But so far, very happy with this purchase.

Updating (6 months after buying):
Now that I've used it for 6 months I can say a couple of things about it:

1)it's sturdy.
2) never let me down
3) easy to carry and not heavy, even when carrying for many hours attached to my slimbag 200.

Cons side:

1) does not have spikes to get a firmer grip on earth
2) does not have a hook to put extra weight if needed

Anyway, a good tripod. But for the two flows above, I'm taking a star off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not good enough., 24 Jan 2013
R. Stonn - See all my reviews
I actually tried it's bigger and more expensive brother in the store before ordering this one on Amazon, I also went by the previous reviews before pulling the trigger.

It arrived quick (thank you Amazon) and was very well packaged (by Amazon as well as Manfrotto), looked quite slick and was not too heavy plus collapsed into a decently small size. I totally saw myself attaching this to the side of my camera bag and taking it where ever I needed to shoot.

The legs open quite smooth and I didnt use the last section (as already described by another review, it's shaky in a breeze) but what finally got to me and made me return this is... the ball head is really really rough.

While I could live with it if it started a bit jerky and then smoothed over, I can't get anything meaningful with it constantly catching randomly in the middle of a pan.

Looks like I will have to spring for it's bigger brother or keep looking. Oh well, at least Amazon has a fantastic return policy.

(If this review helped you, please rate it. Cheers!)

4.0 out of 5 stars very compact but tricky..., 18 Aug 2014
A wonderful little tripod, this is so compact I have to actually extend the legs a little to make it fit in the tripod holder on my Lowepro Video Fastpack 350. But, that is where the joys of this tripod end really. For me, the convenience of it alone is enough to give it 4 stars, but I do have the following gripes with this.

I thought I would like the head on it, and to be honest I haven't had that many problems with it, certainly nothing major, but the pistol grip can be a bit annoying. The switch to flick it form 'video' mode to 'photo' mode is a bit tricky to use smoothly. The same goes for the locking mechanism; while the idea is great, a wheel built into the grip that you move with your thumb to change the tension from loose to fixed. However, when it starts getting tight it has a tendency to them move itself ever so slightly. Not bad for most shots but a real pain if you have spent ages trying to line up a perfectly composed picture, especially at longer focal length.

Height-wise there are no complaints. The legs only go to one position and the central column isn't reversible, but at its lowest height its still pretty small. With the legs and central column fully extended its about head height (on me anyway). The leg-locks are sturdy enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite tripod, 18 April 2014
This is my second one of these tripod stands. I love it. It's perfect for my needs, i travel a lot and it's size and weight are ideal. It extends to a very high height, the trigger head is very effective and carries my 60D with 28-135mm lens with no problems, same with the 300mm.

I wish the center piece could turn, so you could lock horizontal pan, and i wish the legs went all the way out for a lower setting, but other than that. I take this tripod everywhere. i lost my old one and replaced it with the exact same one straight away.

3.0 out of 5 stars Spare clamps, 2 Mar 2013
Ben Griam "Ben Griam" (Sutherland, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I used this for a while and liked it, but then one of the leg clamps broke. I tried to buy a replacement, but Manfrotto will not supply single clamps- only a replacement leg at almost the price of the whole tripod. I thought this very poor service.