Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£12.79

NOT2CD221 Sarah Vaughan - The Great American Songbook

This 2 CD set has 47 tracks from the period 1947 to 1955 and certainly lives up to the overall series title. Yes, there are many of the great composers featured here. There are also many gems from the song book of Sarah Vaughan and the opportunity to hear less well known songs too such as the haunting "Trouble is a Man" by Alec Wilder whose centenary it is this year. Visit [...] for more information. There is also an excellent version of Mr Wonderful the song most associated with Peggy Lee. I'm sure you will enjoy many many more.

Bringing together such a collection is always difficult but with over 146 minutes and songs by the Gershwin's, Duke Ellington; Frank Loesser; Cole Porter; Styne & Cahn; Rodgers & Hart and Arlen & Mercer there can be little doubt that this set fits the bill. More titles from iconic stars are to follow in the series.

Tracks CD1: They can't take this away from me/ Body & Soul/ Polka Dots & Moonbeams/ If I Knew then/ Lover Man/ I Cried for You/ Prelude to a Kiss/ Deep Purple/ Perdido/ Summertime/ Just Friends/ Thinking of You/ Ain't Misbehavin'/ Goodnight My Love/ Can't Get Out of This Mood/ I'll Know/ Street of Dreams/ I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter/ Once in a While/ Trouble is a Man/ Everything I Have is Yours/ I Get a Kick Out of You/ A Hundred Years from Today/ It's Magic/ It's You or No One. CD2: Give me a Song with a Beautiful Melody/ Nice Work if You Can Get It/ My Funny Valentine/ Come Rain or Come Shine/ It's Easy to Remember/ Whatever Lola Wants/ Mr Wonderful/ Embraceable You/ You Hit the Spot/ April in Paris/ It Might as Well be Spring/ The Nearness of You/ Spring Will be a Little Late this Year/ Come along with me/ East of the Sun/ My One and Only Love/ September Song/ He's My Guy/ Black Coffee/ Tenderly/ Honey/ Longer Awhile.
on 8 August 2010
Sarah Vaughan is at the top of the list with a small band who pick themselves and will be on most poeples lists. Im referring to the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington, Billie Holiday, Peggy Lee and i know im missing one or two but they won't come to mind right now.

The thing with Sarah Vaughan is that sometimes she can sing almost as smooth as Ella on something like "Can't get out of this mood". At other times she can make "Summertime" fit beautifully into the voodoo like atmosphere conjured up by the bass and horns. Its a song ive always loved and have several different versions of it but ive never heard it done with such an almost sleazy delivery before.Its a performance you'd more likely associate with Ruth Brown who would come after her or Bessie Smith who went before.

To put it in a nutshell this collection manages to cover Sarah Vaughan in all her various moods and is a very good introduction to one of the handful or so of genuinely great female singers of any genre. So many are very good and the line between very good and great is often very thin indeed.

You're not really taking a chance at all if you buy this as quality is timeless. But its best served through headphones eyes closed so she just takes you away,on a sunday afternoon with feet up and a cold glass of whatever takes your fancy.
on 22 October 2010
First, the quibbles: The double-CD plastic case comes in a cardboard case that is so tight I had to dismantle it to get at the discs. The flip-over CD holder was brittle and broke the first time I 'flipped' it. I had to re-house both CDs in a double case of my own.
The music, however, is superb. These are recordings from the late forties and early fifties and the sound quality is very good. Vaughan is in excellent voice throughout and the choice of material is first-class, but the musicians accompanying her are unfortunately not named. Both CDs are generously filled: you get 47 songs in all, some familiar ones, others less so. I already had her 'Divine' CD, but only half a dozen or so are duplicated here. The price of this collection is currently (Oct. 2010) very low, and I urge every Sarah Vaughan fan to grab it while they can. Five stars for the music and a firm refusal to deduct any for the unnecessarily poor packaging.
on 6 December 2011
Sarah Vaughan is a singer I have long admired. As good as she is, only rarely do we hear her on the radio. When I saw her CDs on Amazon I was spoiled for choice. I went for 'The Great American Song Book' as this double CD release contained many of the songs I knew. Nor was I disappointed with the tracks that I had not heard before. All in all, two very enjoyable CDs best enjoyed late evening on my own with a glass of something as pleasant as the music. Unfortunately one track I have wanted for years, 'Serenata', is not on this compilation. Guess I will have to keep searching.
on 12 November 2013
If you love jazz and particularly african american female jazz players, you will know the familiar names. Sarah Vaughn is possibly not se well know unless you are a hardcore jazz fan, but I saw a document with her in it and had to buy her music. She is underrated in my opinion and has a unique quality to her singing and music.

The collection is fantastic for the price. All the songs are great to listen to. I love putting this on whilst doing something in the kitchen, or something relaxing or thoughtful.. When I play it, I feel like I am in my very now jazz cafe. A more than worthy and beautiful tribute to the talent that is Sarah Vaughn. Thank you for the music Miss Vaughn! x
on 26 November 2012
Because of reviews, thought I would give the cd a spin. What a voice. I'm a late new comer to her music and will be glad to add a few more cd's to my music collection. Beautiful voice, hope I haven't worn out the cd player :-)
on 5 January 2013
I was very pleased with this cd. Anyone who is a Sarah Vaughan fan will be delighted. They don't make them like her anymore!!
on 25 November 2012
the wonderful Sarah displaying her velvet tones performing some of the best songs ever written - what more can one ask for.
on 9 January 2010
no one ever sang jazz like sarah vaughan to hear her again is wonderful if you want to hear a true jazz giant sing buy this record I was fortunate to see this lady singing with the count basie big band at the fairfield halls croydon many years ago I do own most all of her records or cds if you know your jazz then you have heared of sassy if not you will be in for a surprise with this little CD
thanks pete
on 30 May 2012
Before I purchased this CD I had only a little knowledge of Sarah Vaughan. It is a double CD and when I played the first CD it was OK but I took it out of my car cd after a couple of plays. I found the second CD so much better - great songs, produced/arranged well and sung beautifully by this very capable performer. It stayed in my CD for a month and I loved it every day