on 17 March 2013
My comment here is not so much directed at the product as at the way in which it was sold, and to explain, I need to point out a few basics.

First, the product and seven more similar items, were offered by Viceroy-bedding, an Amazon market place supplier, and I one clicked my purchase without studying the embedded pages of fine print.
Second, when I tried to review the delivery charges after this one click purchase, my Amazon account, open orders, showed only the items I'd asked for, without any total for the charges to be made.
Third, when an email did arrive from Amazon to confirm the purchase of eight items and to finally detail their cost at around £52.00, another £42.00 something, had been included to cover packing and delivery.
(To explain further, other UK suppliers can deliver 30 kilo's of goods to Germany, wrapped and packaged in bubble wrap and cling film and in a stout carton, for less than £14.00 and these suppliers often make special offers to reduce this charge.)

A guess at the weight of my order with Viceroy-bedding was a very generous 10 kilos max., so I contacted the supplier via Amazon to complain, loudly, about the order almost doubling in value when their delivery charges were applied.
I was told by Viceroy-bedding, that they had been told by Amazon to charge a £4.00 per item price for delivery charges, regardless of the amount of items sold, and that they had added to this accumulating total, a supplementary charge of £10.00 something, for the first item only.
Viceroy-bedding explained that this was how they had to do business on Amazon, and so they had reduced their per item prices, as advertised on Amazon, to allow for the later applied, highly loaded and obviously incorrect, delivery charges.

(On checking the suppliers own web site, I found that the same per item charge was applied when they sold direct, and so either Amazon has had a lingering effect on how Viceroy-bedding do business on their own behalf, or perhaps they were confused when telling me Amazon had instructed them to price their goods this way.)

I pointed out to Viceroy-bedding that selling at a cheap price, as a lost leader, and making money on the delivery charges was not a fair way of doing business, and that for me, who hadn't read several pages of small print when making my one click order, this was a scam worth reporting to the fair trade office.
The reply from Viceroy was the cancellation of my order, and this was followed up by a reply from Amazon saying that my credit card had now been credited with the amount previously drawn on it to cover the value of this order and the delivery charges..

When I complained about the way this order had been dealt with and charged for by Viceroy-bedding, Amazon said they were unable to intervene with this marketplace purchase, and that from their point of view, the order had been charged for because, as far as they knew, it had already been dispatched from the suppliers premises.
However, this was obviously not the case if Viceroy were able to withdraw and cancel the order before it left them..

In retrospect, Viceroy-bedding's prices appear to be excellent, in fact, one could almost say they are too cheap, and in all honesty, the quality of their products remains a mystery to me, but I do not like the way in which they do business.
I see their sales technique as a corrupted form of commerce, selling at prices that are specifically designed to mislead customers, and, as my choice of a one star rating on Amazon's scale of products has now told me, I do seem to hate it, perhaps because this type of selling produces the bile that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
33 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2011
excellent product, fitted the 4ft bed perfectly and did not ride up in the corners like the last protector we had, decent padding, would recommend.
on 6 February 2013
It is everything it says except for the 12" deep. We needed it to be about 9" deep so thought this may even be a big on the slack side but it is a tight fit and would never have been any good had we needed it to cover a 12" deep mattress. The quality is fine and apart from the size I have no quibble!
on 1 March 2012
We required a matress protector for a new bed. Very happy with the quality and the price that we paid. Having purchased matress protectors previously that have been poor and don't last, this one i would recommend to anyone.
on 7 October 2011
I was really pleased to have finally found a mattress protector which fits the small double bed we have in our spare bedroom! (My boyfriend was surprised that anyone could get that excited about bed linen!) It fits really well, and think it was a good price, but obviously don't know how well it will last as have only just got it and have not washed it yet so can't comment on that.
on 22 November 2013
This isn't quilted at all... I bought this as my daughter's mattress is rather thin in the hope it would bulk it out for her. It's a thin sheet with a pattern on it. Nothing quilted about it other than it's advertising of the word
on 21 February 2013
I bought this one as a spare after I had bought another previously.
However the new one was faulty and as I never inspected it within 14 days despite it being unused and unopened the seller refused to replace it under it's T's & C's
The issue was with the elastic in the curtain that is too short to stretch over the mattress. The cover is the correct size but the elastic is too short.
Amazon helped with the dispute but Viceroy Bedding would not give me a returns address or a replacement.
I suppose the moral is you get what you pay for!
Very disappointed with the poor customer service.
on 14 March 2012
Don't buy it. I bought this to fit a bed which falls within the depth specified by the seller. At its centre the cover actually measures three inches less than the mattress hence it doesn't fit. I contacted the seller and they didn't bother to get back to me. Poor service. Never again. I'll go to John Lewis next time.
on 7 January 2015
Misleading description - "luxury quilted" indeed - this is no thicker or more padded than 2 flat sheets placed on top of each other. Complete waste of money.
on 11 October 2010
Bought this as i bought a topper for my bed and needed a deep mattress protector to fit over both, this item does the job, but it is easy to tear as it is quite thin on the sides, but i didn't expect too much as it is cheap in price. otherwise happy with purchase.