5.0 out of 5 stars ...Don't take all the credit; don't take all the blame
Published on 8 Jun 2007 by Denise E. Forrest

3.0 out of 5 stars Like the 'idea' of this.
The book said all the right things. My pre-teen daughter doesn't hate me apparently. She is practicing on me and is growing up naturally. This much I probably believe. However, I don't believe that this is something I should take with a smile. The book leads you to the conclusion your child can speak to you however they want as its a part of growing up. I feel that in...
Published 10 months ago by Ms D. Clinton

5.0 out of 5 stars ...Don't take all the credit; don't take all the blame, 8 Jun 2007
Denise E. Forrest (Scotland) - See all my reviews
How reasuring to know that you are not alone. I am sure that all parents will be able to relate to at least one of the stories in this book. Rob has such an easy manner to help the reader become comfortable to look at their relationships with their children and how to address some of the issues calmly and sensibly. My favourite quote is "Don't take all the credit; don't take all the blame" hopefully by remembering this I can manouvre through the teenage years with my daughter relatively unscathed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and Reassuring!, 7 Jun 2007
Jean Gibson (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
To any parents who are struggling through the teenager years - grab this book now! Having read all the Parsons books, I knew it would be good but this one is probably going to top the list with parents. Having emerged slightly the worse for wear from this stage of parenting myself, I appreciated the opening message "It's Normal!" and the theme of reassurance for both parent and teenager that runs through the book. The fascinating statistics are well researched and the explanation of how brain development affects teenage behaviour is particularly interesting. Stressed parents everywhere will appreciate the keys for dealing with the really testing teenager and identify with the stories of those going through so many of the same situations as themselves.

This book is informative, helpful and encouraging - yet another success for Rob Parsons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rob Parsons scores again!, 25 May 2007
This is probably Rob's most specific book yet, even more so than The Money Secret and Heart of Success. True, there's the expected number of stories, but in the middle chapters - dealing with the big issues that affect teens and stress out parents - Rob includes an impressive amount of stats to back up the main thrust of the book.

And what is the main thrust of the book? Well, I was quite surprised. If I was asked to sum it up, I'd say: Being a parent of a teenager may be tough, but being a teenager is tough too, and like it or not, you've somehow got to help your kids get through the teenage years and out the other side. And the good news is that you can!

On the whole, Teenagers! What Every Parent Has to Know is incredibly positive. It doesn't shirk from the big issues - the prevalence of drugs, the ubiquity of sex, the dangers of the internet - but it doesn't leave you feeling like everything's hopeless. Most of all, it doesn't demonise teenagers, and it doesn't give parents a huge list of things they have to do. The suggestions Rob does give are sensible and most of all doable.

The section where Rob talks about the physical development of a teenager's brain, and why those changes will affect their social and communication skills will be an immense comfort to parents of sullen and sulky teens everywhere. And, while he does explain some of the dangers lurking out there for teenagers, Rob doesn't play on parents' fears by hyping up the scary side of growing up.

In conclusion, Teenagers! What Every Parent Has to Know is very even-handed - it treated teenagers with respect, and gives parents a fighting chance of surviving the teenage years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it before they get there!, 7 Jun 2007
Mrs. J. Wilkins (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
Thank you Rob Parsons! I'm so glad to read this now - before my children have quite 'got there'. There's a wealth of advice on scary areas like bullying, sex and drugs - with practical suggestions of ways to communicate better and even steps to take if your child is taking drugs. Invaluable insight is given about the internet, an area where my children will always know more than me.

I loved the practical tips and helpful theme running through the book that we are not alone in feeling failures as parents. 'Just get them through'! Read it for the first time before your child is 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 3 Monkeys, 18 Nov 2007
Strawberrysundae "strawberrysundae" (Bath and north east Somerset, UK.) - See all my reviews
I do not normally read books all the way through but I was glued to every page of this book.The humorous, sympathetic and insightful way in which this book was written book made me laugh,cry and feel empowered as a parent aswell as giving me so much more empathy for my teenager.My one negative comment about the book would be this - since trying to apply the priciples in the book my teenager has started actually telling me about what goes on in 'her world'. Sometimes I wish she wouldn't!!!! So if you enjoy being one of the three monkeys (hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil )then maybe this book is not for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars For 21st Century Parents and beyond..., 4 Jun 2007
J. Wright - See all my reviews
I wish this book had been around when we were negotiating the white water rafting phase of parenting - the teenage years.

Rob's book is great in that it does two key things:

1)It touches on the enduring and foundational aspects of maintaining and building on the relationship between parent and child. It helps nourish and builds positively on the desire of every parent to have a relationship of mutual love and respect with their kids, which will last a lifetime.

2)It helps parents to consider and work out strategies to deal with the scary scenarios which the internet, bullying, sex etc pose. When we find ourselves plunged into these issues with only the background of being a teenager from a different generation to help us, it's so easy to flounder. But here the lid is lifted off the issues we face and gentle but wise advice is offered in developing good strategies as a parent.

The conversational style is really easy to read and once you start you'll find it hard to put down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this for every parent you know, 22 May 2007
This is a great help for all parents of teenagers, and should be compulsary reading. Like all Rob Parsons book it is very easy to read, full of humour, and also very moving. Last night it helped when my son said he was having some problems with bullies at school, having just read the "So what can a parent do" I was more help than I would have been before reading the book.

Buy it, read it, use it and giive it to your friends

5.0 out of 5 stars Rob Parsons indispensible road-map through hostile territory, 26 May 2007
Michael Bates (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
This is 'the' book I wish had been given to me when my kids were ten. Now I turn each page and find my self saying over, and over again, 'that is so true,' or 'so that is what was going on'. It is a extraordinary book, which cuts through the psycho-bable to deliver insights and practical responses. As with all Rob Parsons' books which I have read you sense the author is coming along side to put an understanding arm across the reader's weary shoudler, rather than beating us over the head, or, presenting us with pictures of unattainable perfection. Woven through each chapter there is a golden thread, and that is the power of praise, even through the darkest days with the most testing of teenagers the author encourages to find something to praise them for; in return the parent who feels they screwed up so badly will find praise and comfort from knowing that they are not alone, that they are not to blame, that their child's behaviour is explicable and that it does pass!

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable advice for anyone living with or working with teenagers., 25 May 2007
As a parent, foster parent and youth worker, I've found this book practical, realistic and very easy to read.

I loved the many true short stories that Rob Parsons incorporates in the book, both positive and negative, all helping the reader in their parenting role - some made me laugh, some made me cry - I couldn't put it down once I'd started it!

It's crucial as parents we get those teenage years right and the chapters in this book on bullying, sex, internet use, drugs, self esteem and more are valuable advice for anyone living with or working with teenagers.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd read this before...., 25 May 2007
J. A. Perkins (Bristol) - See all my reviews
My kids are just slipping into their 20s so I identified personally with most of what Rob Parsons said in this book - I wish I'd read it before going through some of the unexpected and inexplicable events of the last 10 years. It is good practical eye-opening stuff which helped me understand some of the things we experienced and are still going through. It was a really easy read - just as well as it pressed both my laughter and pain buttons. That said.... I never felt 'lectured to' - it felt more like an arm around my shoulder! Parents - read it - it will help!!

Teenagers!