TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 October 2006
Welcome to The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women, an all-girls school located just outside of Roseville, Virginia. Anyone looking at this elite private boarding school would see just what The Gallagher Academy wants you to see--a preppy school for privileged girls, complete with a guardhouse and stone wall to keep the curious away from their precious charges. And they'd be right, of course, and yet they would be so very, very wrong!

Because The Gallagher Academy isn't exactly what it appears to be. It's an elite school, that's for sure, and the only boys who grace its grounds are the male teachers. After that, though, the similarities between The Gallagher Academy and every other elite boarding school in the world ends. Instead of math and reading, English and horseback-riding, the girls who attend this school take courses in Covert Operations, Ancient Languages, Countries of the World, Culture and Assimilation, and Protection and Enforcement. The Gallagher Academy is, in a word, a school for spies.

Cammie Morgan is a second-generation Gallagher girl--her mother, who also attended the school, is now the headmistress. Her two best friends, Liz and Bex, are both super-smart, and the best spies-in-training she knows (except for Liz's lack of coordination, but that's another story). Cammie has spent most of her life inside the walls of The Gallagher Academy, and now that another semester is starting, complete with new CoveOps teacher, hunky Joe Solomon, she's really looking forward to the new school year.

But then things start to get a little out of control. Mr. Solomon seems to know all about Cammie's missing-and-presumed-dead father. She meets a boy in town, Josh, who finally sees her, really sees her, like no one else ever has. After all, she didn't get her nickname, "the chameleon," for nothing. But now Cammie is balancing on a dangerous ledge--knowing that no one outside of the gates of The Gallagher Academy can ever know who she truly is, and wanting nothing more than to spill all of her secrets to Josh.

As lies tangle with truths, as first love duels with obligation, Cammie will need to learn exactly what it means to be a spy, her mother's daughter, and a young girl falling in love.

I'D TELL YOU I LOVE YOU, BUT THEN I'D HAVE TO KILL YOU is a wonderful, laugh-out-loud, action-adventure extravaganza. Filled with plenty of cool gadgets, intriguing teachers, and heart-pounding first-love moments to keep the reader interested, you won't be able to put this book down once you start. A true winner, and I definitely can't wait for a sequel!

[...]
on 2 September 2013
The plot is really twisted and different from most spy books. From the mission reports to the everyday life, every bit of it is so different. I really enjoy it and would recommend highly that you read the whole series. Cammie will capture you and show you that being a spy happens in everyday life and even then it can shock you.
on 13 May 2014
I'd Tell You I Love You is the first teen spy novel in the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter. I'd heard a lot about the series before I started reading it but when I saw the first book was on offer on iBooks, I snapped up the chance to read it. The series is about a girls' school for spies disguised to the outside world as a school for geniuses. The concept of a spy school for the most elite teen girls really interested me as it's not an idea I've read before and I think Ally Carter exceeded my expectations on this particular idea. There is a huge emphasis on the girls, in particular the protagonist Cammie, being exceptionally talented. The girls know fourteen languages, how to kill a man seven different ways and can break CIA codes, but lack the 'ordinary' social skills most girls know, such as how to talk to a boy.

Other than the fact the book is based on spy school, it is a typical story of a young girls first romantic relationship and how she deals with these new experiences. I would definitely recommend this book as it's a great addition to the YA genre. I will be reading the other books in the series when I get a chance but for now, I'd love to know your thoughts on the first book if you've read it
on 22 August 2012
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You is a full-throttle spy story come love story. It's a sweet and totally sassy read.

My students have been telling me that I need to read this book for ages. Finally I took their advice and I am so pleased I did. This is book is great! I really enjoyed reading it.

Cammie is a sophomore at the Gallagher Academy. A school for female spies which hides behind the facade of a private elitist school for geniuses. Cammie's beautiful mum is the Headmistress of the school and is an exceptional spy herself (although no longer in the field). The new term has begun and this year sees the sophomores begin their Covert Operations training. It tests their spy skills to the limit but for Cammie it presents a more emotional challenge. Her father died on a mission and the details may be classified but there is no doubt that becoming an undercover agent and entering enemy territory is the most dangerous type of spying there is. Cammie must face all the risks and decide if she really wants to follow in her father's footsteps.

As if Cammie's life isn't interesting enough, when she's out on a mission, she's spotted by a teenage town boy. No one ever sees Cammie. She's known as the Chameleon. Even her own friends find it hard to spot her. So why does this boy see through her spy skills. Is he dangerous? Is he boyfriend material? Is he both? Cammie is about to investigate with the help of her best friends.

I really don't have much more to say other than I couldn't put the book down. I loved all the spy speak, the technology and the training. It was funny but it was also full of action. The characterisation was great. I really felt Cammie's emotions. I never would have expected on picking up this book to have tears in my eyes at the end. But that's what happened. My pupils have the best taste in books.

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You is great contemporary fiction for teens. The girls are the heroes which is exactly what I want to see in modern children's fiction. This is the Spice Girls in a book: Friends forever and all the more powerful for it. I'm quite the fan.

Recommended for Fans of:

Spy Girl by Carol Hedges
Hacking Harvard by Robin Wasserman
on 1 January 2014
Although this series was before that of 'Heist Society', I read this after I read the slick thief novels. I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You is a book which is predominantly set in a small town in america and the mysterious private school that sits on the outskirts. It follows a love affair between a 'norm' and a 'spy'. After reading 'Heist Society' I really thought of Ally Carter as a great writer and one who I would come to follow, so after I read all three of the Heist Society books I felt the need to go onto read Carter's other books. I am in a mixed bowl, in some ways I wasn't disappointed, yet in some ways I was utterly disappointed. In some places I felt like it was just a little lack lustre in some places, there was too much love and not enough spy in my opinion. Furthermore in some places it was a little cliché - the intelligent one who seems to have no clue about anything social or anything which isn't academic for that matter, the firecracker and finally the invisible one who seems to attract a very handsome compatriot. The reasons I did like it however, I overall liked the characters despite their clichédness they were characters who you could imagine being your friend. The humour was funny and not forced and the relationships between the characters were believable and inviting.

I only gave this 3 stars because I was a little disappointed, I have however put it down to the fact that it was an introductory book, an introduction to series so I am looking forward to the book and hopefully it will be much, much better.
on 23 February 2016
Basically: Three girls in an all girls spy school have their lives altered by some new arrivals.

In Depth: I love Ally Carter's books and whenever I need cheering up I just reread one because they put me in that sort of mood. This book was no exception, it's beautiful cheerful and a little crazy. Honestly any book that promotes how great female spies and their friendships were was always going to make me a little happy. However, this book shows those friendships and how awesome the girls are as spies that I couldn't help but love it.

The Plot: The story in this book is about three friends becoming even closer and beginning to allow another girl into their close knit friendship group. (It masquerades as a love story but don't be fooled, the only love story in this book - other than the adults - is that of friendship.) The book is fast paced and bubbly, everything about it is entertaining and fun.

The Characters: In terms of character development this book does explore some very important aspects of the main characters introduced in this book. But at the end of the day it is just an introductory book for a six book series, the beginnings of some amazing development are explored.

Cammie is introduced as someone who has only ever blended in with everyone else. She's afraid of losing those she loves and of her friends losing the people they live. In direct contrast Bex is fearless and outgoing, she's certainly someone I would want on my side in a fight. Liz is the true genius of the friendship group who sees the most in terms of what happening with Cammie. Macy is introduced as a society girl - vapid and uncaring - but her character shows some of the most development showing she is caring and kind towards the girls and is prepared to work hard for her grades. And that's not even mentioning the very awesome (and present) adults.

My Thoughts: I adored this book, I have done for a while but I enjoyed it more as a reread knowing where the book was going than the first time I read it. That being said I will recommend this book to anyone, if you're a fan of contemporary action and adventure then check out this book.
on 18 March 2012
To begin with, I absolutely adore the cover for this book, it really caught my eye and the way the models face isn't shown is a good way to avoid a visualisation of Cammie that doesn't meet the readers expectations, also certain elements of the cover, for example the spaghetti, is very ingenious and symbolic.

I was slightly doubtful of the book at first, I felt slightly 'thrown in' to begin with, but a few pages in and I was engrossed! The cleverly written humour which develops the character of Cammie is brilliant and instantly makes her a likeable character. The first line is also brilliant as it gives the reader a general idea of the character instantly, and the relaxed character of Cammie is easy to connect with. The other characters are also well explained and all seem to blend easily into the book. Ally also leaves many cliff hangers throughout the book which entice you to read on and continue to read the rest of the series. The whole mystery of Cammie's dad is a massive element of the story which I am sure will be built on throughout the series.

This book honestly has everything, I loved the cleverly written humour, it is perfectly embedded in the book to create the very likeable Cammie and her friends. Some of the humour had me laughing out loud! This book is also inclusive of the romance, normally I would roll my eyes at this aspect, however Ally writes it in so naturally and thoughtfully that it wouldn't be the same without it! The Romance isn't cliché and pathetic which has gone through my mind when reading previous books, it is like I said before beautifully written in, creating a well balanced book. This book also includes action of course - the main element. I love the missions Cammie undertakes at Spy School and they are fast paced and adrenaline building. I think the plot of this is also very original, I have never seen a plot quite like it and although many aspects may be similar to other books the whole 'Spy' aspect is so original.

Overall I am thoroughly impressed with this series and I think I have found my new guilty pleasure! I would recommend this for literally all ages, I'm pretty sure it won't matter if you're 12 or 17; you will love this book!
on 10 February 2012
This book was a nice introduction to the world of the Gallagher girls. Far from normal, these girls attend a school for geniuses training to become spies. Of course, they're still high school age so get up to all sorts of mischief just in a slightly different manner!

I liked the plot of this book. It was simple but really fun to read about. I was on edge at times thinking characters were going to get caught and then if they did I was anticipating what was going to happen to them.

It's definitely a fun read but the problem for me was that the writing didn't stick with me. I was a little put off by it for some reason and at times I felt like I was missing key details. I started to think it was me reading to fast so I would keep going back to read parts again to find that I hadn't missed anything.

I really feel that this author has a very particular writing style that some people will really love and some people will just find okay. Make no mistake, it wasn't bad writing, it just wasn't suited to my likings.

What I loved most about this book was how the characters interacted. It was made clear from the start that the Gallagher girls might as well be sisters and they are to be treated as such by each other. They're all growing up in the same environment totally different to normal teenagers their age so technically the only people they can depend on is each other. I loved that. It was such a strong aspect of the book and it shone through each and every character and still managed to accentuate how different each one of them was.

Overall, this read was alright for me but some will enjoy it more. I definitely do want to have another shot at the second book in the series and see if it gets any better!
on 8 December 2011
So in my head if James Bond had a daughter with another super spy, said daughter would go to school at the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women. With classes in covert ops and days where you can only speak a specified language at the Gallagher Academy you learn all you need to become a world class spy. If we get past the all girls aspect of the school (I went to an all girls school and it was super bitchy!) this is exactly the school I dreamed of.

Cammie Morgan is a pupil at the Gallagher Academy, but she is not just any pupil she is the headmistresses daughter. Having grown up in the school Cammie knows all of the hidden passages (oh and there are loads) and has 2 bffs she lives with. During a practical covert ops lesson (which is run by Mr Hot-Spy-Teacher) Cammie is practicing her skills following and tracking, unseen. This is Cammie's skill and earned her the nickname Cammie the Chameleon. So when one of the local boys from the local town starts talking to her and noticing her Cammie has no idea what it means and launches her own investigation.

I really liked this book. All of the main characters were really likable and so were the secondary characters (I was a little sceptical about the "new girl" but I liked her in the end). I found Cammie's complete lack of "boy knowledge" to be familiar (I am a spaz when it comes to boys) and very amusing. This was a really easy and quick read and I found there to be no slow parts at all. Gallagher Girls is quickly becoming a series I love.
on 10 July 2011
The Gallagher Academy series was put a book of interest many times for me during my browsing on Amazon and the storyline sounded interested. After purchasing the first four books in the series I began to read the 1st instalment. It was there then on the first page that I was disappointed. The idea that the book was written from the view of the main character and in a way that was viewed to be a diary, showed me that this book would be immature in the way it was written.

I found that the further I got into the book the more annoying it became. Ally Carter took on the persona of a child and the book would have better suited a child in the way it was written. I was upset by the lack of romance between Cammie and Josh, because I found it hard to understand why Cammie was ditching her friends for someone who hasn't been clearly shown in the book because of the lack of time spent on the character, it reflects badly on the main character. I feel that if the story were to be written from a third person view Ally Carter could have included the notes on the mission (which I thought was a nice touch) but also suited the book for a older audience, allowing there to be more romance and better described intimate scenes with the couple, which would take most of the over described scenes and allow the story to be more nail biting all the way through.

The idea for the book was brilliant. The story is one I haven't come across before and the inventions and characters in the book are interesting and fun to hear about. If the book were written from a different view, I feel it would have been easier to relate to and other characters would get a chance to shine through too.