5.0 out of 5 stars A very clever piece of kit
Having seen this product in a recent magazine I expressed an interest to my wife, not expecting to hear anything further but having returned home from a busy day for a birthday tea there it was.

Published on 1 Feb 2011 by JMY

1.0 out of 5 stars Please consider this review before purchase!
I have 3 of these alarm clocks in my family, one of which has been returned twice. I have also lived at some point with all of the three as my daily alarm clock over the last 2 years. I can make a safe judgement weather this considerable amount of money is a wise purchase or not. It is not!

All 3 of them randomly turn the light on full power, causing you to...
Published 16 months ago by Adam Riding

5.0 out of 5 stars A very clever piece of kit, 1 Feb 2011
This review is from: PURE Twilight, DAB/FM Radio with Mood and Wake Up Light (Electronics)

My first impressions are all very positive, the changing light colours fascinate the children and the mood lighting is ideal for reading and relaxing in the bedroom and its also bright enough to provide plenty of room light I`m not sure when I will use the disco setting but who knows what future themes the kids birthdays will have.

I love being able to change the light levels by placing my hand on it - very sci fi and the alarm functions are all very good - 4 alarms - radio or themed etc. The light does come on quickly with the alarm, I was expecting something a little more subtle and I would agree that this needs a setting button so you aren`t confronted with bright light whilst still dozing.

The DAB radio itself is excellent quality, we have 3 other DAB radios in the house and this is by far the best quality, it also picks up more signals than the others.

The screen is clear and a big improvement on the bright red LED display on my old clock radio.

I would recommend it to anyone but it is expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best alarm clock I have ever had, 7 Dec 2010
M. J. Parsons (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
No doubt about it, this is the best radio alarm I have ever had.... and the most expensive!
Is it value for money? I was tempted to give it 4 stars because of the price but I couldn't bring myself to - it deserves five stars!

What I like about it:
Almost everything - here is a round up: Solid quality build, lovely gentle light, which is touch sensitive and can be set to slowly come on before the alarm, different coloured lighting, good quality sound, 4 alarms which can all be separately set, and more... I love it!!

What I don't like - not a lot
One minor point is the inbuilt alarm sounds (which are very good quality and challenge the radio as an option for waking up) have a very short cycle. That blackbird in the dawn chorus repeats it's self too quickly. If there was a longer loop it would be great to wake up to, but the sound quality is excellent.

One less minor point is the plug. I wish I could understand why a two pin plug is provided. I put it in an adaptor and it keeps slipping a bit and loosing main power (there is an inbuilt battery backup). I will have to think of something else. It shoud come either with a three pin plug or supply a proper adaptor.

The bottom line is would I choose it again? The answer is definately yes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent daylight, sounds, moods and DAB, 14 April 2011
Alan Playford ""dwile flonker"" (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
Looking around for what my wife required - an all-in-one replacement radio, with the added bonus of daylight awakening - I purchased this product with an air of expectancy and doubts that they could deliver.
Boy, was I wrong!
The lights (both daylight and moods) are totally customisable, either in intensity or (in the case of moods) colours. We chose the blue sea colours (blue to green and back, variance) and it's certainly soothing! The other other pre-sets are good too, and we've even tried setting our own customisable (3 choices) colours also. Not as soothing, but sometimes more pleasing?!
The daylight intensity is also good, either as a nightlight, or as an ever-increasing glow to wake you up in the morning. This morning gloom-dispenser seems to work extremely well, even waking up myself, who has been known to sleep through both fire-alarms and even an earthquake!
What WAS a bonus was the DAB radio - absolutely perfect reception, with the downside being my wife now likes to boast of going to bed with Alice Cooper on Rock FM every night! :o( Just be sure to unravel the aerial as much as possible for best reception!
OK, the daylight intensity isn't a totally smooth transition through all of your pre-selected wake-up time, but it does the job well enough. And the sleep function also works well, once you've learned not to alter the settings once started in motion (they are looking to upgrade the manual to stress this, following protracted but helpful emails with their support people!)

All in all, a none-too-cheap but highly effective alarm clock, radio and light source.
And my missus is well please with Alice Cooper at night! ... to the point where she doesn't want the snooze to end, as she's enjoying the music too much! But that's Rock FM's fault, not PURE's!

1.0 out of 5 stars Please consider this review before purchase!, 23 May 2013

All 3 of them randomly turn the light on full power, causing you to be wide awake at 3:25am or come home to a disco show of lights randomly going off.

If you have a power cut during the night you will not be on time for work the next day as there's no battery source.

The manufacturer boasts a soothing selection of noises....well they installed that to cover up the units high pitch operating squeal or its electronic humming noises.

The touch sensitive buttons are useless, to the point of actually pushing one of the units off the bedside table trying to get it to register that I'd pressed a button.

The light quality is not of a bed site light and gives the un-romantic "factory floor" style feel to even the most elegant of rooms.

The USB charging port has not got enough power to charge my phone.

For how much you pay the sound quality is poor.

I sleep and wake up better with the alarm on my phone.

If customer service ever replies be sure to find that your replacement item will be just as poorly designed and manufactured.

Fantastic idea and I was amazed at first, but a whole 3 weeks of consecutive random 'wakeups' in the early hours of the morning (once getting dressed for work as I have black out blinds and I presumed it was time to get up) I am looking forward to finally smashing mine to a thousand pieces! I have not done it sooner because it was so expensive but I really don't care as it means I will get some sleep again!!! :-D

All in all I am not your standard angry customer, I have really tried to live with this product, for more than I needed too, it was a gift, all three were from my Mother to my family and all have just as disappointing an ending as mine.....get out the baseball bats!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good combination DAB radio and bedside light, 17 Sep 2012
What I use the product for:
- Radio alarm (sunrise function not used)
- Bedside light
- Night light

We've recently had our second child and I needed a dimmable light to enable me to see what I'm doing during night feeds. Our other clock radio was also driving me mad with the lack of reception, so this was a good solution. We've had the product for about two months and all of the above functions have worked perfectly.

To address some of the concerns I had before I bought it due to other reviews:
- we have never had an occassion when the light has given us a disco show in the middle of the night.
- I am able to use the buttons without the unit moving, it took a bit of practice, but it's fine
- I have never had to change anything relating to the alarm when it is going off (e.g. change station), so the slightly complicated button and screen combination has never posed a problem.
- the clock is perfectly legible once dimmed at night
- the wire aerial provides wonderful reception (perhaps we're just lucky in our house)
- the clock has never lost time

Things I love about the product:
- the light control being activated by the dome, very easy to find in the middle of the night. Also very easy to use as long as you respect the fact that it needs to be quite sensitive.
- the dimming of the clock display, I hate the bright light given off by some clocks
- the sound quality of the radio
- the ability to have multiple alarms
- the usability of the product, I found it really easy to set up and get the hang of.

I have yet to use the sunrise facility as I don't want to wake the baby any earlier than necessary, but so far I am delighted with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic alarm clock, 26 Dec 2012
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Length:: 1:58 Mins

I've lived with this clock for about a year now, and with the recent dark mornings it's really come into it's own. I use it as a bedside light to read by and an alarm clock to wake me up in the morning.

The main light is really bright at 100% and it's so much better to wake up to than an old school screaming alarm clock. I have my clock set to get lighter for 15 minutes before the actual alarm goes off, so if I want to wake at 7am a very low light comes on at 6.45 gradually increasing until it is at maximum brightness at 7am. At this time the clock also plays one of the built in sound effects to ensure I'm awake. You can have it set to turn on the radio, but I prefer the in built wind chimes for more of a gentle wake up.

Brilliantly you can set your alarm to only be on weekdays, this ensures you don't need to remember to turn the alarm off at the weekends. You can also set up to 4 different alarms with different settings, and have as many active as you require.

The light itself can change colours, not a feature I've used much as I'm happy with the standard soft glow white light, but if you fancy a nice blue, or warm orange this is the alarm for you. I really like the ability to touch the top and reduce the light level, perfect for reading in bed and gradually lowering the light level to help get you to sleep.

Yes it costs a fair bit, but remember you're not just getting an alarm clock that will wake you more naturally, your also getting a Pure DAB radio. The speaker quality is OK for a clock radio, it's not going to beat a dedicated sound system but for the morning wake up routine its perfectly fine.

As per other reviewers, the in built sounds tend to loop a little too quickly and it's very easy to spot the loop, doesn't seem like much effort has been put into making the sound loop smoothly to give the impression of one long track.

Looks great, some may find the main buttons a bit tricky to use, but I've not had the problems other reviewers have mentioned.

Overall a great bit of kit that looks fantastic in the bedroom and will genuinely help most people wake more naturally, especially during these dark, cold, winter mornings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but pricy, 22 Feb 2011
Bought this because the sudden violent vibrating of my mobile phone alarm against my bedside table fills me with rage and despair in the morning. This is a much more gentle way to wake up - there are a selection of nature sounds that relax me as soon as I hear them. You can have gentle waves, a babbling brook, the sounds of the shore, a forest.. you can also plug in your iPod or use the DAB radio function, or listen to lullabies. The light is bright (and big) enough, in my opinion, to use as a bedside lamp. I believe the product is also useful for treating the symptoms of SAD. Unfortunately the function where the light comes on gradually so that you wake up slowly doesn't work for me because as soon as it comes on, it wakes me up. You don't seem to be able to set the brightness for the alarm function, though you can when you're using it as a normal lamp. You can set up to 4 different alarms and you can snooze by just touching the lamp (it doesn't get hot).

Other lovely things - you can use it to meditate/relax by just leaving the sounds on the (barely noticeable) loop, use the colour settings (wheat field is green and gold, fire is red and orange and yellow etc), use it as a kid's nightlight or play them the lullabies. The build quality of the item is excellent - substantial and an elegant design in contrast to some of the other cheaper alternatives. The sound quality from the speakers is good too.

Downsides - it's pretty big, though most of these 'sunrise' alarms seem to be. It takes up a lot of space on my bedside table. The other thing is the price - £[...] is a hell of a lot of money to play for an alarm clock, no matter how special it is. I got this model because I was looking for a good sunrise alarm, reviews for other similar products were dicey and I happened to have some spare cash. Maybe at half the price it would be a bit more reasonable. However if you value feeling more sane in the mornings, perhaps the cost is worth it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better., 17 Nov 2011
S. Mason - See all my reviews
When my Lumie Classic 150 sunrise alarm clock died, I decided on the Twilight as a replacement.
First impressions were good. It's an attractive product and feels well made. However, right from the off it was clear that the touch sensitive dome was faulty and the product had to be returned. Thanks to Amazon, returning was easy and I elected to choose a refund over a replacement. Here's why:
Good Points
. Nice size, shape and well built.
. DAB radio sounded very good.
. Although the LED screen cannot be switched off completely (despite what the manual says), it dimmed enough to avoid
being annoying during the night. How anyone can sleep with bright LED displays blazing away is a mystery to me.
. I expected the sound effects (eg waves or bird song etc) to be poor but actually were quite nice.

Bad Points
. Faulty touch sensitive dome which would not work at all or caused the light to strobe on and off.
. Seemingly designed by committee rather than by someone who actually thought about how it was to be used.
There are normal buttons (which are hard to see) and a touch sensitive LED screen and the touch sensitive dome.
. The LED dome cast a harsh light that for some reason failed to wake me up like the Lumie did. This was a deal breaker as
using it as a sunrise clock was the primary reason for buying it.
. Using it was not intuitive. A messy interface with hard to use buttons.
. Depending on the surface the Twilight was sitting on, you cannot press buttons without moving the whole device.

So in the end, I would have put up with it if the device hadn't been faulty but I wouldn't have enjoyed it.
It failed as a sunrise alarm and felt awkward to use.
I've since bought the Lumie Starter 30 and as a sunrise alarm clock it's simple but brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great and feature rich bedside DAB radio, 23 Feb 2011
First off I am very impressed by the Pure Twilight and wrestled with whether it should be a rating of four or five stars. It is a great gadget.

I wanted a replacement to a separate Lumie body clock light/alarm clock and a SONY FM alarm clock radio. I originally purchased separately as I was unsure of the sun rise simulation. I have now grown to love it, but still need the alarm clock radio though for an assured wake up :-)

It is nice and compact on the bedside cabinet and is attractively styled. The volume is good enough for the bedroom unless you are looking for real bass. The reception is good once I pinned the wire based aerial up. The set up is easy and intuitive, helped by the large screen and touch sensitive context based buttons below it.

I like the way that for each of the four alarms you can set them for weekdays only, weekends only or for the full week. This means there is no rude awakening at the weekend as there is no need to switch alarms off as with other alarm clocks.

You can then select which source you would like to be woken by. This includes the radio (FM/DAB), tones and a very wide range of pure sounds which vary from sounds of the sea to the dawn chorus. The quality of these is good and it isn't too easy to spot the track repeating. These can also be set in conjunction with the sleep setting in order to help you get off to sleep. You can also set whether the twilight function is used and if it is, how long it takes to turn up to full brightness. You can also set the Alarm volume for the sound source that awakes you

One nice feature is the USB port on the back. This means I now do not need an extra power adapter in order to charge my mobile overnight (an HTC HD7 to give an idea of power).

The light is also touch activated, a simple tap to the dome switches the light on or off or snoozes the alarm. The lights brightness can also be controlled. When at 100% it is okay to read by if the Twilight is on your side of the bed but not any further away.

One comment on the basic light feature is that it is a little sterile when compared to my previous lumie light which was bulb and not LED based. Meaning the Twilight is similar to a fluorescent light. On the plus side though, the many mood colours that can be set is impressive and traverses the rainbow can feel much warmer. This is especially nice when used in conjunction with the Pure sounds, Blue for the sea etc.

Finally, the standard headphone jack at the back allows my ipod to play through it and the volume to be easily controlled on the Twilight.

My only real issue is that whilst the screen is large displaying a full screen clock when in standb. Once the DAB radio is on, the time is relegated to the top quarter of the display, meaning that first thing in the morning it is not ideal. If you have poor eye sight you could well struggle.

In conclusion I love the product and I am still very glad I bought it. The twilight delivers so many great features from its rotund package. A true gadget!

3.0 out of 5 stars not perfect, 5 Jan 2011
I hope to get a firmware update which solves following issues:

Dawn simulation mode is much to fast, slowest is 1 hour: but after 5 minutes it's shining very bright (8% is enough to read a book). Unfortunately it's not possible to set max value of brightness for dawn.

Feature request: fade-in radio when alarm clock starts.

Wake up via dawn simulation and listen radio is possible but it's not possible to turn on radio first and after 10 minutes start the dawn. (even not with setting two alarms) wake up with "mood" light (dawn simulation)

What's great?
* low power consumption
* mixed Favorites (dab / usw)
* mixing colors + setting brightness in "moods" mode
* Stopping alarm by touching lamp
* dimm in/out by holding your hand on the lamp
* display backlight:
- switches on when hand is near the display (proximity switch)
- switches off after a short time (can be configured)

What should be better in next version:
- background light for buttons (when display backlight is on)
- Button for "next faforit radio station" instead of button "Source"
- possiblity to set other sources as favorites (aux input / natural sounds)