on 1 February 2012
Dragons From The Sea is Judson Roberts' second book in The Strongbow Saga and starts off where Viking Warrior (Book One) finished. Halfdan has arrived at Hedeby, a large Nordic town and trade centre, where he sets about the task of joining the crew of `The Gull', a Viking ship making ready to head for war in Western Frankia.

Judson's research of the era is apparent as he takes Halfdan into battle with the Franks. Halfdan needs all his skill and resourcefulness when he is sent out to scout the land for the main Viking army in this extremely entertaining read.

Halfdan's character becomes even more likeable in this second book as we discover his traits of honour and loyalty, that often appear to land him in trouble, yet earn him the respect of the men around him.

This compelling sequel to Viking Warrior quickly has the reader well and truly hooked on the saga and reaching out for `The Road to Vengeance', book three of The Strongbow Saga.
on 20 January 2016
Excellent storytelling Judson has the knack of making one love and support the hero. I just wish the books were longer.
I love the way he crafts his tale and mingles history with lifestyle of the age
on 19 January 2015
Although I've enjoyed reading the first two books in this series, the second has just come to an abrupt end part-way through. Mr Roberts, do you not think you would earn a loyal following and get better reviews if you wrote one book instead of three crudely carved up editions? Disappointed in the way these books are written. Obviously a talented writer who, unusually for a new author, has no care or thought for his readers. Gaining as much revenue as possible has clearly pushed this author beyond what any reader would find reasonable. Read book one at your peril as you'll pay three times for what is so clearly one book chopped into three parts.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2011
I have just finished these books via my kindle, Historical Fiction is my favourite genre, and at the moment anything Viking! These were good books, although a little short for my liking. I have looked at Judson Roberts website and these books have been taken out of print, why I am not really sure. Halfdan is a likeable Viking (it's nice to hear the other side for a change), who has an interesting story. I hate waiting for the new books to come out, and sincerely hope that Mr Roberts, at least finishes book 4 before the end of this year, before I forget how much I enjoyed this series.
The year is 845 A.D. and fifteen-year-old Halfdan Hroriksson vows to find and kill the man who murdered his brother, Harald. He travels to the fortress, Hedeby, where he hopes to join the crew of a Viking longship and go i-viking.

The fierce, epic STRONGBOW SAGA continues with this exciting sequel, following the adventures of a young man learning the ways of the Viking warriors.

Halfdan is ready for action, armed with an amazing longbow that he made himself, and an axe that he took from a man that he killed. Halfdan's skill as an archer gains him acceptance into the crew of the Viking ship, The Gull, as it embarks on a quest to conquer the Franks. The large armada of Viking ships sail to make war on the Franks, the followers of the white Christ, and their sworn enemies. The electrifying battles and dialogue that fits the era feel realistic -- it's a can't-put-down chronicle with fast action and a multi-level plot.

Judson Roberts' extensive research is evident in this thrilling Viking yarn with compelling characters. Halfdan's honor and loyalty make him likable and sympathetic even when his violence is intense, frightening, and explicit, as it sometimes is in the fierce battles depicted in this provocative story.

The back of the book has a complete list of the characters, along with the part they play in the story, and a glossary of Viking terms, which I found very helpful. I greatly enjoyed this novel and I'm looking forward to the next volume in this electrifying saga. I'm definitely hooked on this series, and impatient for more.

Reviewed by: Grandma Bev
on 4 September 2014
This set of books is as good if not better than Bernard Cornwall books. It feels really real, you get sucked in and the story feels so real. You get a sense that these books are very well researched and the characters feel comfortable. Tall these books are truly great, the only problem is I get through the books so quickly.
on 14 April 2012
I read the reviews on the Strongbow Saga as most said it was a good tale and enjoyed them I decided to give it a go.
Once I finished Viking Warrior I wasted no time downloading Dragons from the sea and The Road to Vengeance.
I know it's often a matter of personal taste but all I can say is that the story held my interest and I really enjoyed reading them and hope it's not too long before the next part of the Saga is available to read.
on 5 April 2013
This is a very exciting book having read the 1st book I had to find the second in the series. Very easy to read but keeps the interest
going. I am a great fan of this saga type of book.
Would recommend it.
on 17 April 2013
Just brilliant. What more can I say? I'm so frustrated at not being able to get the next book. How can an ebook be unavailable???
on 17 January 2012
I have read all three books in a row and it was very enjoyable. Except Robert Low and Giles Kristian, there are few authors dealing with viking adventures. So I was quite surprised to find these books and very pleased about the content. A very good story line and interesting action, so that i could picture the whole adventure in my mind, thank you for a wonderfull reading!