on 3 May 2012
I have given this product a 4 star only because you need to allow a good afternoon to set it all up - however once you have set it up it works like a charm! I have just spent all afternoon setting up and converting my first VHS which was over an hour long. I had lunch and breaks during the process. The quality of the converted film was as good as I would expect (no Blueray) but good enough to save my films for many generations to come .....
For anyone who is not too hot with software installation the video instructions that come on the disk are great - I have seen many video instructions and this one beats some used in education sites. You do need to allow some time to sit and watch it (maybe a couple of times to be sure) then follow the tips and you will be well on the way to converting all your VHS to computer files or DVDs - If you are not sure if you will have the right cables or adapter they send you some in the pack, so it is good to go. I am really pleased and recommend this set if you want to turn your family VHS tapes or favourite vhs tapes to digital format for watching immediately on PC etc. (I did not get the other software mentioned on the instructional video but I do not need it right now?)
on 30 March 2013
I purchased the earlier model about 2 years ago and after trying it out I found that editing was a problem and it suffered many crashes. I have recently read reviews on this later model and leared from a response from Tim, to a reviewers ***star report, that
this later model is a big improvement to the earlier one. I must agree, I'm 79 years old an not the most experienced PC user and by following the detailed instructions, both written and on CD disc, I could copy video to the capture feature and practice editing, before saving the project and burning to disc. I soon got the hang of it and am now transfering my many old video's to disc.
on 19 August 2013
The Video-2-PC transfer kit is a comprehensive and easy to use solution for transferring older video formats onto the PC for either watching it on the PC or recording to DVD.

The kit contains all of the cables required to link a video source using SCART, S-video, or composite out to a PC using a USB connection. In addition the kit contains a CD packed with all of the drivers, recording software (both an easy to use program, and a more advanced one for those who are more adventurous) and some comprehensive easy to follow instructional videos.

Linking the cables is easy and installing the software relatively straight forward if you follow the instructions included. Although it is even easier if you simply follow the video tutorials. Note: the Arcsoft Showbiz key proved impossible to decipher in my case however a quick email to retailer provided me with a key I could cut and paste and make it work. Windows 7 and Vista 64 bit users will require an extra step that is a little fiddly but again the video explains what to do in a simple to understand manner.

Once the software is installed and the cables connected copying a tape to your PC is a simple process. Again the video tutorial is a great help in tweaking the settings so I recommend a watch. Note: copyright material cannot be copied using the Arcsoft Showbiz software, occasionally it has been reported that the copyright message can be displayed in error there is a work around which can be found with a quick web search.

Once you have copied your tape the software allows you to edit clips or trim the recordings. Then there is a full set of authoring tools which will allow you to make a copy of your recordings to hard disc or to DVD which can be watched on a normal DVD player.

The results of the process are impressive, and the whole package is not to daunting to use. Which is made so much easier by the excellent instructional videos. The support I received when I hit a small snag was first rate and very fast (on a Sunday too!). Overall this is a highly recommend product.
on 7 February 2012
Simple, easy to use, not problems at all. Installed it on Windows XP and am now working through my entire video collection
on 20 March 2011
Works very well, but remember that with the superb dvds these days the quality will not be as good. Great for saving precious memories for a few more years though.
on 12 August 2011
I think this product is excellent and had only one slight problem setting up the sound involving re-loading the audio driver with Windows 7 after which it was great.
Make sure you RTFM and save as DVD and not mpeg/avi. Otherwise you'll need a bigger drive!
AND it arrived the next day after ordering!
on 14 July 2015
I'm running a 9 year old PC with a 2.13 Ghz Intel Core Duo, USB2 and XP SP2. This is 3 years older than recommended but meets the minimum spec, but read on.
Everything installed easily and was up and running inside 15 minutes. While copying a 100 minute tape using Showbiz (supplied) the capture crashed twice thanks to my borderline PC - but no biggy, since the Showbiz software saves the capture up to the failure point, so I just rewound the VCR to a few seconds before the crash and started a new capture.
It's a pretty simple procedure to trim out the overlapping footage using Showbiz and when I created the DVD the result was seamless. On playback, the DVD quality was good.
I had pretty much the same experience with the second tape I tried, but the third one repeatedly failed at short intervals, so I tried the supplied Virtual Dub software instead of Showbiz.
I used the recommended settings for a "fast PC" and not surprisingly a test mode capture showed 190% CPU usage and loads of dropped frames. I turned off the file compression (but left the resolution at 720 x 576) and all was OK. At the end of the capture I had an average of 24.9 fps and hardly any dropped or inserted frames. The downside is that without compression you need a lot of free drive space - say 70gb for an hour of video.
Virtual Dub does have the facility to select and delete unwanted footage, but unfortunately you can't save the amended file without making a new copy - not a problem if you have enough drive space, but I was down to my last 50gb after a 2 hour capture.
So....I opened the file in Showbiz and used that to edit the footage. Showbiz doesn't actually alter the file, it records the changes in a separate project file and applies them at burn time. From there, I used Showbiz to burn the DVD, taking advantage of the "fit to disc" option. The resulting DVD was good. I've now converted all my tapes using this method with no issues at all.
In summary, this piece of kit is well worth the money if you have the patience to play with the software. Oh - and make sure you watch the tutorial.
on 11 December 2010
Very easy to use. Instructions cover all the latest versions of windows. A bargain if you compare it to the costs of tape to dvd transfer companies.
on 22 May 2015
There were sufficient leads, so connecting was easy enough. And it was fairly straightforward to transfer complete videos to DVDs. It was just when it came to editing, putting on titles, etc where it was not easy. To cut out sections of unnecessary recordings was difficult, as there didn't seem to be any fine-tuning to enable smooth extraction, so it was not possible to remove short sections of out-of focus filming without running the risk of taking out the next section as well. There was a second programme for more complex editing, but this seemed too confusing to bother with, and I accepted that I could live with just transferring whole videos to DVD, which was relatively simple.
on 17 April 2012
Video - 2 - PC kit works well, easy to install. I haven't as yet transferred any from my PC to CD so I can't comment on that but if it worsks as well as the transfer to my PC I will be pleased.