on 10 November 2011
Currently about two-thirds through the book.

The story flicks all over the place to different characters, but it's not done particularly well and gets quite confusing working out who is who. Some of the chapters have a heading showing which character it's about, others don't, would've helped greatly to keep this up for all chapters.

To me though, the most annoying thing is (at least the kindle version) that it's riddled with 'spell-correction' errors.
Eg:
"they drove passed many houses"
Instead of
"they drove past many houses"
It's as if they just ran it through ms-word and decided "that'll do", most irritating. Be warned if that kind of thing annoys you.

Apart from that, the story does seem interesting and I will be sticking with it to see how it ends.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 October 2011
When I purchased The Survivors, I obviously didn't read the full summary. I love post-apocalyptic novels, but I didn't realize that there was also a fantasy element in this book.

Having said that, the book started well, straight into the action with the nuclear war of 2012 devastating America and the inevitable nuclear winter, and continues with the survival stories of the characters which are introduced gradually throughout the first part of the book.

There are also some minor characters introduced through the book that are only heard of once, presumably to be reintroduced in the next book/s in the series, although for me that was slightly disappointing as I wanted to have their stories fleshed out a little more to make them more memorable.

As the action slowed down in middle parts of the book, I did find my attention wavering, and started to enjoy the book less and less, however it picked up again towards the end when characters started to develop more.

The fantasy theme I found to be unnecessary at times and added to the story at others, but I think without this element I would have enjoyed this book more.
As another reviewer says, the Kindle formatting is distracting and I too found myself slightly irritated by the breaks between paragraphs where there is no break in the story.

One thing that I also found strange was the description of some characters not by name but as `the blond', `the dirty blond', `the Marine' etc. I knew who was being described most of the time, but sometimes (as there is more than one blond character!) it really confused me.

I do have the second and third books in this series, which I will read.
on 11 September 2011
I'll be honest and admit that I haven't finished this book and stopped after around an hour.

The reason for this is that the writing was confusing and, at times, completely non-sensical. There are several typos and the text jumps around all over the place leaving you not knowing where you are or what character is being referring to. After an hour I just couldn't be bothered anymore.

The only reason I haven't given it 1 star is it cost less than a pound. Also, the review is based on the first 100 pages or so and assumes that the book continues in the same fashion all the way through which I assumed it would do.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 November 2012
I came across this book as I was searching for more PA fiction ( think I must have read most of them by now )and picked it up because it was free .

I'm really glad I did !

It is the story of the after effects of an attack on America after a war has been started by a former president and other countries retaliate .

We learn the story of Angela , a battered wife and her journey across america to find her son who she knows is with his abusive step father at Safe Haven refugee camp. She has 'special powers' which she has been to scared to use but calls out to her true love Marc to help him rescue her . Adrian , the founder of Safe Haven is another 'special' person , a very charismatic leader who has a dark secret .
There are other characters too but read it and find out.

I didn't find this confusing or badly written, the book has been re edited , but why not Down load this to read - it's free so you haven't lost anything if you don't like it .

In my opinion this is an excellent start to a really good PA series.

I have bought and read the 4 books in the series and I'm looking forward to the fifth .
VINE VOICEon 1 February 2013
This is definitely a work in progress, rather than a finished book. I would be ok with it as an early draft, but there are so many problems with it I don't know where to begin. Take the totally lame descriptions of race for instance. The author wants to tell us that the president is black and that he has a white wife, they do this by talking about black hands and nonsense like that, come on! Also, this is about some Da Vinci Code style conspiracy, plus the end of the world. So you get Jesus descendants AND nuclear bombs. This is difficult to pull off and they don't quite manage. Plus this is rather racially dubious. One of the characters is looking for a blond, blue eyed leader.... like Jesus? Really schoolboy stuff.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Survivors paints a vivid image of a post apocalyptic society in the few weeks after the catastrophe. It starts with the nuclear attacks taking place as the result of the actions of some rogue individuals rather than states at war, and the inevitable retaliation as the countries on the receiving end of the ICBMs launch their own at the USA. The first part of the book when this is occurring is rather disjointed as the action flashes from one event to another, but this works well and by about page 30 or 40 the reader is well on board with the scenario.

I thought there were faint echoes of Stephen King's dystopian epic, The Stand, since we have one group of survivors gathering together under a charismatic leader, Adrian, who appear essentially good, and another sinister group led by the Mexican, Cesar. There are also fantasy aspects in both books. At its most simplistic, it is a clear divide of good versus evil and I presume that at some stage the two will violently collide. It is clear this is the first book in a series since interesting characters appear who do not really connect with the main story, but who it appears will be key in the future, and at the end of this book there is unfinished business.

A major publishing company would consider this book to be in raw manuscript form, and would set about copy editing it, generally tidying it all up and probably rationalising it to some extent. However, here we have the story in its original form, warts and all. This is clearly going to irritate some readers, to the extent that they may find it difficult to complete. However, I was quickly able to go with the flow and concentrate on the story line rather than any imperfections. I have certainly read plenty of professionally produced books which were nothing like as interesting, so I have ignored this factor in rating this book.

As previously mentioned, this book starts off strongly. Then we get into looking at how individuals are getting on in this lawless, tainted environment as they make their way through a landscape strewn with corpses, have to deal with mutated insects and are in a constant struggle to find food and shelter and survive. This section which runs up to about half way works better in some chapters which are quite absorbing, than in others which are less so. After that the strong story line takes over and it is a fairly compelling read. Personally I was not too sure about the fantasy element. It works to a degree, but I did not think it was essential for the story.

So to summarise, overall I did enjoy this tale. I imagine the main test is whether I will be reading the next instalment, and I was certainly sufficiently engaged that I will be looking out for it.
on 21 February 2012
The Survivors by Angela White is the story of people trying to survive after a large nuclear exchange. When society breaks down there is no shortage of selfish people doing horrible things to those that are weaker than them. The book puts a pretty graphic face on some of the happenings and is not suitable for young or easily offended readers.

There area couple of things that set this book apart from a lot of other post apocalyptic stories. The first is the mystery hidden behind everything. Several points in the book hint that characters have some important secrets hidden away and that sets a bit of a hook to get the interest of the reader early. The other thing is the presence of magic. Generally it is not an extremely powerful aspect to a person, but there are a few people who seem to have some subtle abilities and one woman who has a much higher capability with it.

Having some many characters play important roles at times seems to dilute the story a bit as it leads to a lot of scene jumping, but I believe as the series progresses these characters will be together leading to a smoother flow. I will also say that there were several characters I didn't like and even the people deemed "good" guys are survivalists. There really is not a black and white to morality the "good" guys do some fairly reprehensible things in order for their group to survive. To me that aspect lends a bit of a boost to the story, it's great for morality to be black and white in a book, but with only the bare minimum of society left that doesn't seem reasonable.

One other thing I will address is the editing. I received a first edition from the author and read and half of it. It left a lot to be desired, but she sent me an updated copy (which is what this review is based on) and it was worlds better. It's not perfect, but it is totally readable for me. Final verdict 3.5 stars with a prediction of a gradual increase as the characters begin to join together through the series.

Review copy provided by the author.
on 23 May 2015
This was a mind-blowing fantastic read that had me completely involved in the post-apocalyptic world. The story absorbed me completely, and I had to force myself to stop reading and turn out the light every night. The characters got under my skin, and Angela White's narrative drew me strongly into the woven fabric of her stories. When I got to the end of the 3 books, I immediately downloaded number 4, and was thrilled to find there are 7 in total.

The skill of the book, to my mind, is that Angela White (also the name of her heroine!) keeps a balance of action, suspense wedded to a motivational subtext that is never predictable. She gives you just so much of the character's inner thoughts to set you wondering and keep you turning the page. Nothing is obvious, yet everything becomes clear. You have to think with the text. It's literate and erudite and the emotional lives of the characters are fully realised. The transitions from head to head, though many, are so smooth that you are never in doubt who is currently driving the story. Hooks abound. It's intense, though laced with humour and the whole atmosphere is real.

I was gripped from the start by this post-war world, with its hints of magic amidst the uproar. It's the most involving "world" for me since Harry Potter. I'll be in it to the end.
on 24 April 2012
I stumbled across this book by accident and think its FABULOUS!!
The interesting characters and the story that unravels is so good that I found I could overlook the errors left in by the proofreader.
This is the best free book by far that I've found and I got so involved with the story that I had to buy the next two and looking forward to Friday when book 4,Adrian's Eagles is released.
Keep up the good work Angela and I'll keep downloading the series :)
on 5 February 2013
Epic journey that this is you have to understand from the start that you will be getting to know the stories of the characters and it is not a 200 page action book that some other reviews seem to miss the point,it is not from a big publishing house the likes of KING ,PATTERSON enjoy so yes there are mistakes get over it they are few and far between....
i started this review in a defensive manner as i think over all it is a series that needs bringing into context that it is and epic and from an independant writer.
now for the fun part it is a great journey so far and well worth the effort of reading, yes it is similar to stephen kings THE STAND,you get to understand the charaters and see them develop .The story is good and the situations easy to believe i love books that take you on a journey that lets you really get to know the characters.KENN,ADRIAN,ANGIE,BRADY,NEIL,CAESAR,TONYA they are all names you will become familiar with and get to know.
Looking forward to the rest of the books and well done for the journey so far!!