4.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting!
I like Michael Cobley a lot - his Shadowkings trilogy was an interesting deconstruction of the fantasy trilogy, and sadly overlooked IMHO.

Seeds of Earth is more conventional space opera. Gutsy, outnumbered humanity - check. A multitude of vaguely humanoid aliens with all too familiar (ie human) motives and politics - check. AIs running amok - check. Early...
Published on 31 Mar 2010 by R. M. Lindley

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable
Renowned for his Shadowkings trilogy, its with a completely different tale that he now returns to the fold with this strange blend of sci-fi along with space opera with a touch of star wars built in. Mankind faces extermination from an alien species whose insectoid tendancies focus with their hive mind on the single goal. Interesting in concept, creative in scale...
Published on 12 April 2009 by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and engrossing!, 10 Nov 2011
An excellently entertaining read, and I'm looking forward to the next volumes.

It had been a few years since I'd read any SF - it had all become a little ho-humish to me. I'm glad to say that this book has tickled my palate for it again. Initially I was dipping into it a few pages here and there snatched through the day as I normally do with most books, but then noticed I was clearing larger gaps. I was hooked! Eventually I just gave in and settled down to read it properly, as it deserves.

I loved the way the book was structured in a very filmic way, focusing on each main character in turn and so revealing the story from different angles. That also allowed the author to subtly build a new universe around you without smacking you around the head with too many explanations and diversions.

The balance between pace and description is well judged to keep you turning the pages, but most of all, most of all I enjoyed this book because the characters were so believeable, so realistic.

And yes, I'm off to buy the rest of the books now! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Seeds of Earth: Good Story But Not The Easiest Read, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Seeds of Earth: Book One of Humanity's Fire (Kindle Edition)
This was my first Michael Cobley novel and I have mixed thoughts about it. The premise of the novel is very good. The balance between what I’ll call the local politics of the planet on which the story is set and the wider galactic manoeuvrings converging on that planet is very successfully achieved by Mr Cobley. However, his style of writing left me frustrated. Each chapter in the book is centred around a character but I found the continuity between each related chapter to be jumpy at best with gaps between where one chapter left off and another started.

This is a four-book series, so far at least. I’m not feeling any great compulsion to purchase the next one – not yet, anyhow.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really tried, 4 Mar 2014
I really tried to like read it and to like it based on the Ian Banks recommendation.
But it's not a book that holds my interest. At the same point, when they are somehwfe in the uber-forest, I think, why am I reading this, because I' mot getting anything out of it.
I'm a liitle surprised this made it into print, and was so hyped.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great rambling space opera, 24 Feb 2014
Good storyline and came together in the end. Perhaps became a bit confusing at points with too many threads on the go at once.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enveloping read, 18 Dec 2013
I really enjoyed this series; the story stays strong throughout, and the descriptiveness is excellent. The author does a first rate job of painting a fantastic universe of many levels. While It's obvious from other reviews that it's not for everyone, it was exactly what I was seeking.

Solid characters, wonderful worlds, gripping page turners - what's not to love, and who doesn't wish they lived on Nyviesta?

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get into it, 10 Nov 2013
Maybe I'm strange, but could not get into this book at all. It did nothing for me and ended up not completing it.

3.0 out of 5 stars So So, 19 Aug 2013
Andy (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
The plot proceeds at a breathless pace, with the best bits at the beginning and end. But 600+ pages was too long a journey with a bunch of characters with whom we make little more than casual acquaintance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read, 8 May 2013
I really enjoyed this book :) It was very entertaining and had many different plots and characters to keep you interested. The initial themes and races are introduced and given a general background, although i do wish there had been more descriptions about what each alien race looked like!! Some sounded so interesting.
I like that this book has many different species and cultures including AI's and many different perspectives of the Galaxy. The book reads well and there are comedy moments mixed into the storyline which was a nice touch.
A good science fiction story

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Ring True, 27 Mar 2013
Initially I read perhaps 20 pages or so and then deleted this from my e-reader. There were some aliens on a forest moon and some human settlers and a lot of bad dialogue. This was followed by dialogue between the colony president and some others in which he filled in the backstory in a comletely on-the-nose way. I was annoyed at having bought the book and decided not to waste any more time on it. However, after reading, and attempting to read, several uninspiring, poorly written novels, full of unlikeable characters, I just really wanted to read something pleasant with a character to root for.

So I tried reading Seeds of Earth again, and this time made it halfway, but no further. It has an interesting premise and an enjoyable alien setting and wider galaxy, but the writing never becomes believable. (SPOILERS) There are alien ambassadors and diplomatic events and all of it lacks credibility. When the top hegemony alien diplomat visits the colony - the first ever - the security is barely existent. When the colonists first hear about the survival of Earth (having thought it may have been annihilated) the reaction is so contained and nice, not remotely as it would be.

The political discussions don't ring true, and nor do the conversations in other settings. Characters are always doing ridiculously stupid things in order for the plot to move forward. In a scene where the colony security forces have tracked the assassin to a house they simply let someone (the assassin) walk away from the building, then rush in and get blown up by his booby trap. And when these kinds of events happen in every chapter the story ceases to have any worth - because it's so blatantly not true to life that the illusion of the futuristic world breaks down.

In one sense the novel is refreshing because it has a kind of naive quality, and a very rare thing in fiction - decent, likeable characters. I was interested in a few of their storylines and wanted to know what happened to them; but when the writing simply doesn't convince you, you realise that neither will the fate of its characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves, 19 Feb 2013
Owen Evans (Wellington, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
I almost gave up on the book, it's long winding introduction takes a long time to get any real rhythm and excitement. The end left me wanting more though not least because it only tells a small part of the over arching story.